Minor League Musings place holder.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby David » Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 am

UK wrote:
Tim wrote:Heyward

Corey Patterson missed this conversion by one year.

i wonder if corey patterson turns out any differently with 2018 cubs level minor league player development vs the disaster that the organization was 20 years ago, which was still a relative disaster compared to the rest of the league
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 am

David wrote:
UK wrote:
Tim wrote:Heyward

i wonder if corey patterson turns out any differently with 2018 cubs level minor league player development vs the disaster that the organization was 20 years ago, which was still a relative disaster compared to the rest of the league

Definitely and to a lesser degree even Vitters (if the hand eye coordination stuff was true).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:
UK wrote:

Definitely and to a lesser degree even Vitters (if the hand eye coordination stuff was true).

I think Vitters busts no matter what. This Cubs FO had the chance to work with him and see if they could unlock some hidden potential. I mean Vitters is struggling in Independent League baseball so I think his skills eroded and that no one could fix him/properly develop him.

I think if Theo and Jed were here for the 2007 MLB draft I have zero doubt in my mind we avoid Vitters and take Matt Wieters.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 26, 2018 10:45 pm

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:47 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/carriemuskat/status/1000497856824991744?s=21

When is his spot due up next in Iowa? He’s gonna be needed
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 26, 2018 11:09 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/carriemuskat/status/1000497856824991744?s=21

Wednesday. He’s had a few bad starts in a row though.

I assume they’ll go with Montgomery.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:26 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Wednesday. He’s had a few bad starts in a row though.

I assume they’ll go with Montgomery.

Oh yeah I’d assume Monty gets the 1-2 starts if that all it hopefully is. But if it’s longer I wouldn’t mind giving Alzolay a chance come middle of June.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon May 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Keegan Thompson made this week’s BA Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eet-52818/

11. Keegan Thompson, RHP, Cubs
Team: high Class A Myrtle Beach (Carolina)
Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 SO

The Scoop: A 2017 third-rounder from Auburn, Thompson has the pitchability to move quickly, and that’s exactly what he’s done this year by jumping to the Carolina League. He ranks among the league leaders in walk rate (1.7 per nine innings) and WHIP (1.08). Thompson’s stuff plays up because of his feel, and he projects as a back-of-the-rotation starter with average velocity, a nice changeup and two distinct breaking pitches. (ME)
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:33 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Keegan Thompson made this week’s BA Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eet-52818/

11. Keegan Thompson, RHP, Cubs
Team: high Class A Myrtle Beach (Carolina)
Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 SO

The Scoop: A 2017 third-rounder from Auburn, Thompson has the pitchability to move quickly, and that’s exactly what he’s done this year by jumping to the Carolina League. He ranks among the league leaders in walk rate (1.7 per nine innings) and WHIP (1.08). Thompson’s stuff plays up because of his feel, and he projects as a back-of-the-rotation starter with average velocity, a nice changeup and two distinct breaking pitches. (ME)

He will be an interesting one to follow. Usually guys with his mediocre stuff induce alot of groundballs to maintain good results. Thompson throws very few of them.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 31, 2018 5:20 pm

Two Cubs made BA’s 2017 DSL top 20 prospects - Fernando Kelli and Christopher Morel. The list was in alphabetical order.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ects-2018/
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 31, 2018 5:56 pm

Can you post their writeups?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 31, 2018 6:36 pm

Tyler Peyton has had a velocity spike this year:

Des Moines Register wrote:“Completely changed the landscape for his track and development,” Chicago Cubs Minor League Pitching Coordinator Brendan Sagara said. “Tyler’s doing really well. He’s been a huge surprise and a pleasant surprise, obviously. And he’s really helped himself so far with his early season development.”

Instead, the right-hander relied heavily on a sinker. His velocity was usually in the low 90s and would creep into the mid-90s every now and then during his first season of games with the Cubs in 2017.

But after the Cubs sent him to Class-A advanced Myrtle Beach to start this season, they started seeing a change in Peyton’s velocity.

“He actually went up there just to help,” Sagara said. “They had a need in the bullpen and he’s a guy that’s a reliable strike thrower. Well, all of a sudden, he’s throwing 95 miles per hour sinkers and hitting 96.”
3 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Can you post their writeups?

Fernando Kelli, OF, Cubs
Age: 19. B-T: B-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 180. Signed: Dominican Republic, 2016.
Kelli signed with the Cubs for $60,000 in January 2016, but he struggled during the 2016 season in his first run through the DSL. In 2017, Kelli fared much better, winning the DSL MVP award. Kelli is a premium athlete with ample quick-twitch and explosion. He’s a 70 runner with a quick burst in his first step, with his 58 stolen bases by far the most in the league (the next closest player stole 35 bases). Kelli’s speed translates into good range in center field and he used his slightly above-average arm effectively to lead the league with 13 outfield assists. Kelli has quick, strong hands and a sound swing, which helps him handle premium velocity effectively. While Kelli got himself into trouble in 2016 with a free-swinging approach, he became a more selective hitter in 2017, an adjustment that helped fuel his breakthrough. Kelli has a lively, athletic frame, but he isn’t that physical and doesn’t project to be a major power threat. He could hit 8-12 home runs with a bunch of doubles and triples.

Christopher Morel, SS, Cubs
Age: 18. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 160. Signed: Dominican Republic, 2015.
The rest of the players on this list check off boxes on both performance and tools. Morel’s resume lacks high-end performance, but he has promising projection at a premium position. When the Cubs went over their international bonus pool in 2015, Morel was one of their top acquisitions, signing for $800,000. Instead of playing in 2016, Morel missed the entire season after an off-field accident where he sliced one of the tendons close to his wrist in a broken glass door, an injury that required him to fly quickly to Chicago for surgery. Morel returned to the field last year and stood out defensively. He’s a plus runner with a plus arm, with all the actions and instincts to stick at the position. While Morel hit just .220 last year with a pull-heavy approach, he showed a good sense of the strike zone and power, with the lift in his swing to get to that power in games. Since the season ended, Morel has shown signs of trending in the right direction at the plate, performing well against older pitches. He speed makes him a basestealing threat, although he’s still learning how to pick his spots more effectively.
8 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks, Raisin. Both guys could potentially be on a very young Eugene squad this summer too.
0 x

Tedward
All-Star

Postby Tedward » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Amaya makes the BA Hot Sheet this week.

17. Miguel Amaya, C, Cubs
Team: Low Class A South Bend (Midwest)
Why He’s Here: .438/.571/.875 (7-for-16), 4 R, 1 2B, 2 HR, 7 RBIs, 5 BB, 5 SO

The Scoop: The Cubs signed Amaya for $1 million out of Panama when he was 16 in 2015, but his performance the last two years did little to distinguish him as a prospect. That’s changed. Amaya is batting .295/.382/.518, showcasing a promising balance of hitting ability and power for a young catcher. (BB)
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:09 pm

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Jhonny Pereda and Cory Abbott were named the May Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Month.

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:36 pm

He was just coming off his most recent suspension. Yeesh.

0 x

Tedward
All-Star

Postby Tedward » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:54 pm

More accolades on Amaya from a recent Jeff Passan prospect report... seems like we may have a new #1 prospect by seasons end

. Miguel Amaya, C, Chicago Cubs (Low-A): One scout said he’s the best player in the Midwest League. Another said he’s one of the five best catching prospects in baseball. For an organization in need of a talent infusion, Amaya and Jhonny Pereda, his High-A counterpart, provide a big boost. Amaya’s defense is superlative, and after a couple years of struggles with the bat, his power has unlocked this year. For a kid young enough to have braces – he’s 19 – that’s a very, very good sign.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Tedward wrote:More accolades on Amaya from a recent Jeff Passan prospect report... seems like we may have a new #1 prospect by seasons end

. Miguel Amaya, C, Chicago Cubs (Low-A): One scout said he’s the best player in the Midwest League. Another said he’s one of the five best catching prospects in baseball. For an organization in need of a talent infusion, Amaya and Jhonny Pereda, his High-A counterpart, provide a big boost. Amaya’s defense is superlative, and after a couple years of struggles with the bat, his power has unlocked this year. For a kid young enough to have braces – he’s 19 – that’s a very, very good sign.

I think he's already the org's #1 prospect but if he's going to be around a .900 OPS all season with his defensive reputation and age related to league, he's on his way to being a top 50 prospect in baseball. Maybe top 25.
2 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Tedward wrote:More accolades on Amaya from a recent Jeff Passan prospect report... seems like we may have a new #1 prospect by seasons end

I think he's already the org's #1 prospect but if he's going to be around a .900 OPS all season with his defensive reputation and age related to league, he's on his way to being a top 50 prospect in baseball. Maybe top 25.

Yeah, I think that if he keeps this up he will be will compare pretty favorable to Francisco Mejia at a similar point in his development. That's an elite guy.

I would say that we have a pretty clear top 3 of Amaya/Alzolay/Lange. After that I think is where you can go in different directions.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Bertz wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Yeah, I think that if he keeps this up he will be will compare pretty favorable to Francisco Mejia at a similar point in his development. That's an elite guy.

I would say that we have a pretty clear top 3 of Amaya/Alzolay/Lange. After that I think is where you can go in different directions.

I'd actually compare him favorably to the Dodgers' Keibert Ruiz at this time last year since he split his time between both A-ball levels at age 19 last year.
0 x

Vinestal
5-Time All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 pm

What kind of arm does Amaya have? does he throw out a lot of guys? Pop times?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:35 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Yeah, me too. I've been on the Amaya bandwagon for a while. I'm happy, but we need to pump the brakes a little bit. His bat isn't that advanced (compared to the rest of his game).

He is very advanced defensively and I have no doubts about his play behind the plate.

Definitely the #1 prospect in the system for me.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:14 pm

I remember Brett at BN had a nice writeup on Amaya a year or two ago and I've kept an eye on him since. Glad to see his raking.

What are the thoughts on Ademan now? He's struggling at the plate but still has loads of potential and is young for the level, right?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Return to “Minor Leagues”