General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9092
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1387
x 568

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby javy knows my name » Fri May 11, 2018 10:33 am

Omar wrote:For the Cubs/D'Backs series I went to last year, the immediate surrounding blocks of Chase Field are sort of a dump/dead. One big appeal of a Scottsdale move could be to create that "Wrigelyville" / "Ballpark Village" feel outside the stadium. Not worth it though.


Yes. Downtown Phoenix is a horsefeathering ghost town, they would do much better in Scottsdale
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 440
x 138

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Thurman Merman » Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 am

About 4 years ago, after visiting my grandparents, my wife and I decided to spend the weekend in downtown Phoenix. We were unaware how dead it was. We honestly thought something was wrong when on a Friday night there was quite literally no one around. We could walk down the middle of the main streets without even the chance of getting hit by a car. There were some cool bars though.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77008
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2734
x 4112
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm

David wrote:this is horsefeathering stupid



What the horsefeathers is wrong with these teams? I could understand the ballpark boom of the 90s-00s replacing those crappy multi-purpose 70's stadiums, adding revenue streams, etc but there was not enough wrong with Turner Field, Rangers Stadium (whatever its called these days) and Chase Field to spend enormous sums of money, public or otherwise.

All that said, downtown Phoenix is a depressing mess. Possibly the worst downtown of a major city in the US. They had 20+ years to improve downtown to make the Chase Field location more attractive but everyone is so sprawled out in the metro area that no one goes there (outsider's perspective).
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49491
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 516
x 1415

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri May 11, 2018 1:48 pm

The question is what’s wrong with the cities paying for the stadiums. The teams are immoral but not stupid
4 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9092
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1387
x 568

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby javy knows my name » Fri May 11, 2018 3:38 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:The question is what’s wrong with the cities paying for the stadiums. The teams are immoral but not stupid


If Jeff Loria is ever murdered, you'd be my first suspect, so this is surprising coming from you
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60783
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7890
x 4785

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby David » Fri May 11, 2018 3:54 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:The question is what’s wrong with the cities paying for the stadiums. The teams are immoral but not stupid


If Jeff Loria is ever murdered, you'd be my first suspect, so this is surprising coming from you


Well, he said it was immoral. It's definitely not stupid to let the cities pay the bill.
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60783
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7890
x 4785

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby David » Fri May 11, 2018 3:55 pm

With the Rangers, I at least understand that they built it before the retractable roofs were a thing and it's blazing hot there. The Braves and Diamondbacks ones are way more egregious to me.
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68150
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1004
x 1938

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Derwood » Fri May 11, 2018 4:01 pm

David wrote:With the Rangers, I at least understand that they built it before the retractable roofs were a thing and it's blazing hot there..


It opened 5 years after the Rogers Centre. Retratcable roofs were absolutely a thing
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60783
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7890
x 4785

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby David » Fri May 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:With the Rangers, I at least understand that they built it before the retractable roofs were a thing and it's blazing hot there..


It opened 5 years after the Rogers Centre. Retratcable roofs were absolutely a thing


I honestly had no idea. I remember it being a huge deal that Chase had one and I thought that was the first one. Was Chase just the first one to do it with real grass?
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68150
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1004
x 1938

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Derwood » Fri May 11, 2018 4:15 pm

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:
David wrote:With the Rangers, I at least understand that they built it before the retractable roofs were a thing and it's blazing hot there..


It opened 5 years after the Rogers Centre. Retratcable roofs were absolutely a thing


I honestly had no idea. I remember it being a huge deal that Chase had one and I thought that was the first one. Was Chase just the first one to do it with real grass?

yes
0 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32562
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2235
x 5798
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri May 11, 2018 4:16 pm

David wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:The question is what’s wrong with the cities paying for the stadiums. The teams are immoral but not stupid


If Jeff Loria is ever murdered, you'd be my first suspect, so this is surprising coming from you


Well, he said it was immoral. It's definitely not stupid to let the cities pay the bill.


I read it like he meant "why are these stupid cities paying for stadiums the teams can absolutely afford," not "why is it wrong that cities are paying for it?"
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60783
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7890
x 4785

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby David » Fri May 11, 2018 4:22 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
David wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:
If Jeff Loria is ever murdered, you'd be my first suspect, so this is surprising coming from you


Well, he said it was immoral. It's definitely not stupid to let the cities pay the bill.


I read it like he meant "why are these stupid cities paying for stadiums the teams can absolutely afford," not "why is it wrong that cities are paying for it?"


i did too. i was just trying to clarify that hating owners (especially extra horsefeathers ones) doesn't necessarily conflict with what he posted about it being immoral but not stupid (of the owners).
1 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2
Posts: 6253
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO
x 1177
x 538

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammys Boombox » Fri May 11, 2018 4:35 pm

The engineer who designed the Rangers stadium said it was specifically designed for the ability to add a retractable roof later. The initial costs were much higher to pre-engineer it for a roof.

Edit: Having a hard time finding the article that stated this.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 19519
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am
x 426
x 933

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Omar » Fri May 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:About 4 years ago, after visiting my grandparents, my wife and I decided to spend the weekend in downtown Phoenix. We were unaware how dead it was. We honestly thought something was wrong when on a Friday night there was quite literally no one around. We could walk down the middle of the main streets without even the chance of getting hit by a car. There were some cool bars though.


Next time go to Scottsdale
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 19519
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am
x 426
x 933

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Omar » Fri May 11, 2018 8:52 pm

The only teams that need a new ballpark are the A's and the Rays.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68150
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1004
x 1938

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Derwood » Fri May 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Omar wrote:The only teams that need a new ballpark are the A's and the Rays.


The Rays are better off relocating than spending the money on a ballpark
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49491
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 516
x 1415

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat May 12, 2018 2:02 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
David wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:
If Jeff Loria is ever murdered, you'd be my first suspect, so this is surprising coming from you


Well, he said it was immoral. It's definitely not stupid to let the cities pay the bill.


I read it like he meant "why are these stupid cities paying for stadiums the teams can absolutely afford," not "why is it wrong that cities are paying for it?"


Right. We all know baseball owners are essentially cartoon supervillains. That doesn't mean the city has to comply with their demands.
3 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22651
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 777
x 1392

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat May 12, 2018 2:14 am

mookie betts has a 1.250 ops with great defense in right and guess who is still ahead of him in war
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77517
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9755
x 12892

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat May 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Frank Stallone.
7 x
► Show Spoiler

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22651
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 777
x 1392

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat May 12, 2018 11:14 pm

you guessed it
4 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60783
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7890
x 4785

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby David » Sun May 13, 2018 1:24 am

i'm laughing way too hard at that
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Old Town
x 289
x 319

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Mon May 14, 2018 5:55 pm

17 Seconds wrote:mookie betts has a 1.250 ops with great defense in right and guess who is still ahead of him in war


grichuk?
1 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37490
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1
x 1215

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby soccer10k » Tue May 15, 2018 12:33 am

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:mookie betts has a 1.250 ops with great defense in right and guess who is still ahead of him in war


grichuk?


Only if he got to play the Cubs every game.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55705
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 428
x 5923

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue May 15, 2018 5:57 pm

0 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32562
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2235
x 5798
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue May 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:


yeeeeeeesh. mariners have to be estatic if this can somehow get them out of that contract
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests