Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 13187
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 pm
x 396
x 207

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:58 am

OleMissCub wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/amp22864360/independence-day-battle-of-midway-roland-emmerich/

Dunkirk won't be Hollywood's sole big-budget return to WWII. The Battle of Midway is set to get the film treatment by Roland Emmerich the director of Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow


Image


I'm sure he'll do great. The Patriot was very historically accurate.
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36876
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1053
x 1394

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:49 am

Rob wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/amp22864360/independence-day-battle-of-midway-roland-emmerich/

Dunkirk won't be Hollywood's sole big-budget return to WWII. The Battle of Midway is set to get the film treatment by Roland Emmerich the director of Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow


Image


I'm sure he'll do great. The Patriot was very historically accurate.


“We’re not slaves...we free....we work this land”

Also this time he has legitimate bad guys to work with; he won’t have to turn the British cavalry into the Waffen SS.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66360
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5065
x 5038

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:04 pm

0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77498
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9742
x 12880

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Image
6 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68142
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1004
x 1938

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Derwood » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Banedon wrote:https://youtu.be/-3jsfXDZLIY


Love that they're incorporating hand drawn animation, and there are some terrific cameos. Really looking forward to this
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66360
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5065
x 5038

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:19 am

0 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66360
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5065
x 5038

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 pm

2 x
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 76995
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2733
x 4105
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Banedon wrote:https://youtu.be/Z1BCujX3pw8


Falling into a Blockbuster? A bit cheesy but I like it.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66360
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5065
x 5038

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:30 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:https://youtu.be/Z1BCujX3pw8


Falling into a Blockbuster? A bit cheesy but I like it.


Fun way of setting you up with the timeframe.
0 x
Image

User avatar
rocket
Superstar
Posts: 18386
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:48 am
Location: Dayton, Ohio
x 433
x 312
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby rocket » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Banedon wrote:https://youtu.be/MdcBNrjc3wo


this looks great. but i just learned i've been wrong, for some reason in my head stan laurel was the fat one.
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1786
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 2449
x 478

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby cl smooth » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:47 am

mandy was...interesting. first half of the movie is a bit of a chore but the second half is filled with nicolas cage goofiness and splatter. music is fantastic (johann johannsson's final completed film score). not sure if it would translate well watching it from home or on a laptop BUT if you're slightly interested, go check it out in the theater.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22643
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 777
x 1389

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:42 pm

cl smooth wrote:mandy was...interesting. first half of the movie is a bit of a chore but the second half is filled with nicolas cage goofiness and splatter. music is fantastic (johann johannsson's final completed film score). not sure if it would translate well watching it from home or on a laptop BUT if you're slightly interested, go check it out in the theater.


Spoiler: show
Image
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22356
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 204
x 481

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby CubinNY » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm home sick today and I watched Citizen Kane for the first time. It's a good, not great movie. Tell me why it's so revered?
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33838
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1710
x 1656

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:00 pm

CubinNY wrote:I'm home sick today and I watched Citizen Kane for the first time. It's a good, not great movie. Tell me why it's so revered?


It's one of those that seems pedestrian now because all the techniques it pioneered have become part of the standard toolbox.
2 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77498
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9742
x 12880

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:04 pm

CubinNY wrote:Tell me why it's so revered?


Image
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77498
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9742
x 12880

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I'm home sick today and I watched Citizen Kane for the first time. It's a good, not great movie. Tell me why it's so revered?


It's one of those that seems pedestrian now because all the techniques it pioneered have become part of the standard toolbox.


By the logic of this type of take, basically every movie becomes less good simply because of the passage of time, which, HOOOOO BOY.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33838
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1710
x 1656

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I'm home sick today and I watched Citizen Kane for the first time. It's a good, not great movie. Tell me why it's so revered?


It's one of those that seems pedestrian now because all the techniques it pioneered have become part of the standard toolbox.


By the logic of this type of take, basically every movie becomes less good simply because of the passage of time, which, HOOOOO BOY.


This conversation is gonna hinge on completely subjective definitions of "good", so can we change it to "elite" just to annoy Tim?
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77498
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9742
x 12880

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:12 pm

No, it's still a terrible take, and people try to trot it out for everything from The Wizard of Oz to The Matrix; genuinely good movies don't somehow atrophy because of poor imitators of the filmmaking or the stories or the characters or whatever. If people just don't enjoy something like Citizen Kane as much, or at all, hey, great! It doesn't somehow make it less of a great film or an achievement in filmmaking, nor is it dragged down because horsefeathers movies figured out they could also get the shot they wanted by ripping up the floor like Welles did or whatever.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33838
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1710
x 1656

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:No, it's still a terrible take, and people try to trot it out for everything from The Wizard of Oz to The Matrix; genuinely good movies don't somehow atrophy because of poor imitators of the filmmaking or the stories or the characters or whatever. If people just don't enjoy something like Citizen Kane as much, or at all, hey, great! It doesn't somehow make it less of a great film or an achievement in filmmaking, nor is it dragged down because horsefeathers movies figured out they could also get the shot they wanted by ripping up the floor like Welles did or whatever.


Cool. You can have the word "great" and we'll find some other word to describe how much we enjoy a film and the next time someone doesn't enjoy Citizen Kane as much as film nerds do we can use those words to help explain why to them.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77498
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9742
x 12880

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:No, it's still a terrible take, and people try to trot it out for everything from The Wizard of Oz to The Matrix; genuinely good movies don't somehow atrophy because of poor imitators of the filmmaking or the stories or the characters or whatever. If people just don't enjoy something like Citizen Kane as much, or at all, hey, great! It doesn't somehow make it less of a great film or an achievement in filmmaking, nor is it dragged down because horsefeathers movies figured out they could also get the shot they wanted by ripping up the floor like Welles did or whatever.


Cool. You can have the word "great" and we'll find some other word to describe how much we enjoy a film and the next time someone doesn't enjoy Citizen Kane as much as film nerds do we can use those words to help explain why to them.


Don't dummy post. You had a bad take; embrace it.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33838
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1710
x 1656

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:30 pm

No, I didn't, and you're being that guy really hard.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66360
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5065
x 5038

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:33 pm

I recognize why Citizen Kane is important and revered and I also don't like it at all.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77498
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9742
x 12880

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Bruh, Citzen Kane's legacy isn't Birth of a Nation's; it's not getting by just on how/when it was made, or only that it did a ton of things first/early. You sit and soak in your badness.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77498
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9742
x 12880

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Banedon wrote:I recognize why Citizen Kane is important and revered and I also don't like it at all.


See? Brandon always gets things.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33838
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1710
x 1656

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:I recognize why Citizen Kane is important and revered and I also don't like it at all.


See? Brandon always gets things.


Now I am gonna hot take you just because.

Ghostbusters (female) was better than the original.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests