soccer soccer soccer

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11388
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 62

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:07 pm

Sounders in the final. Again. Obviously I'm happy, but it's probably getting a little tired for most fans. Hopefully Toronto loses so we don't have to see that a third time.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56467
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 520
x 6941

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 pm

Counterpoint: Atlanta hosting again would be just as boring so let's have the Sounders play a home final for once.

What a performance that was, I was honestly hoping that they wouldn't get smoked like their other trip to LAFC, and they basically controlled the game. A little fortunate to convert their chances, but that's why Ruidiaz and Lodeiro get paid big bucks.
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11388
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 62

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:13 pm

Jordan Morris becoming a dominant winger is such an upset. Usually the strong and fast American just stays Gyasi Zardes for their entire career but J MO has developed a left foot, much better technical ability, and most impressively, defensive positional awareness. He played more centrally in the midfield block to hold their high line that basically broke LAFC. That's not something I would've predicted for him even two years ago. He covers very effectively when Brad Smith overlaps. Gives them so much more tactical flexibility than they've ever had in the Schmetzer era. They were always sound in the midfield because of Ozzie Alonso's individual brilliance, but now they're much more organized and versatile. They're going to beat Toronto and unlike the last two matchup's in the final, I don't think it'll be a boring, grinding game.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56467
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 520
x 6941

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:21 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Jordan Morris becoming a dominant winger is such an upset. Usually the strong and fast American just stays Gyasi Zardes for their entire career but J MO has developed a left foot, much better technical ability, and most impressively, defensive positional awareness. He played more centrally in the midfield block to hold their high line that basically broke LAFC. That's not something I would've predicted for him even two years ago. He covers very effectively when Brad Smith overlaps. Gives them so much more tactical flexibility than they've ever had in the Schmetzer era. They were always sound in the midfield because of Ozzie Alonso's individual brilliance, but now they're much more organized and versatile. They're going to beat Toronto and unlike the last two matchup's in the final, I don't think it'll be a boring, grinding game.


Yeah, I know Toronto made a fair amount of mid-season upgrades, but especially if Jozy is out, I have to think Seattle is a big favorite to repeat their game against TFC from earlier in the season. Even last night Toronto won by converting a couple very low percentage shots, which isn't super sustainable, plus Frei is a better shot stopper than Guzan. It's a really weird feeling going from hoping they don't blow it against Dallas to feeling they're a definitive MLS Cup favorite at home in the span of less than 2 weeks.
0 x

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 570
x 180

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:28 pm

This Chelsea game is something
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11388
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 62

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Best player in the league over the last three PL match days?
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12043
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 17
x 72

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby stitchface » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:07 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Best player in the league over the last three PL match days?



best player in the league is a pretty big (and difficult to judge statement). Do love the way he (assuming you mean Pulisic) is playing and that Chelsea is having success.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12043
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 17
x 72

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby stitchface » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:03 am

0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12043
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 17
x 72

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby stitchface » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:11 am

hate to say it but that scoreline really flatters the US performance.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12043
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 17
x 72

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby stitchface » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:50 pm

https://www.espn.com/soccer/tottenham-h ... ck-sources



hahahaha - that'll solve their problems!
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11388
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 62

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:48 am

At first I was speechless. Then I started thinking about how funny it will be if it works. It absolutely will not, but just imagine a world where Mourinho is beating Pep & Klopp. A world in which Spurs are beating a Lampard-lead Chelsea. So good. Bring back the 4-2-3-1 and park the bus en route to a Spurs title.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38455
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1485

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby soccer10k » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:04 am

With regards to firing Poch, I'm torn. On one hand, this was the best stretch in the team's history. On the other, things were horribly off with the team.

Poch clearly had a foot out the door. He talked at the beginning of the season how he would have quit Spurs had the won the UCL final. I would have understood it because there was nowhere to go but down after that. I know he returned but it was like Zidane leaving Real after their third title. Nothing else to accomplish really.

But something had gone stale at the club. Had they just been bounced by City in the UCL QF last year, there would have been more talk about it going into the season. But the UCL run kind of papered over the cracks. With 12 games to go last year they were in 3rd and closer to City and Liverpool than whoever was in 4th. It was a dumb conversation because they were never winning the title but the media was actually wondering if it was a 3 team race. From that point on they took 11 points out of 36 and only finished in the top four because Arsenal and ManU tripped over their own feet even worse than Spurs did.

I totally understand that Poch was frustrated because they didn't buy a single player for two transfer windows. Any manager would be for any club out there. But he'd also gotten away from what got them to where they were. They used to be a high press team. Not anymore. Why go away from what was working. There's been talk about how the players have been unhappy with his new tactics, whatever that means.

This sucks. Poch is a great manager and he'll get almost any job he wants next. The best of luck to him. But sometimes you need a change and this team clearly needed some sort of change. Levy isn't going anywhere and you can't just change the whole team. Will this be a good move long term? I don't think so, but it's certainly possible. Maybe this was as far Poch could take them. I doubt it, but it's possible.

As for Jose Mourinho:

Image
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56467
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 520
x 6941

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:56 pm

Manager griping that you don't buy players and has lost the locker room? Go get Mourinho that'll fix it!
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11388
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 62

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:30 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Manager griping that you don't buy players and has lost the locker room? Go get Mourinho that'll fix it!

This could truly be one of the worst unforced errors in the history of sports business. They make it to the mountain top of super clubs after decades of being second class and then they hire someone who is the antithesis of their culture and business model.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38455
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1485

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby soccer10k » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:00 am

wolf stansson wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Manager griping that you don't buy players and has lost the locker room? Go get Mourinho that'll fix it!

This could truly be one of the worst unforced errors in the history of sports business. They make it to the mountain top of super clubs after decades of being second class and then they hire someone who is the antithesis of their culture and business model.


I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just playing devil's advocate here...

What should they have done with Poch? Last 24 league games (12 this year and 12 last) and they have 25 points. So for almost 2/3 of a season, they played like a relegation team. And they couldn't score while playing a chunk of their normal team against a 4th division side. I know they had the UCL run and that was amazing, but that can't be the only thing you're judged on as a manager. This wasn't some string of unlucky results in the league either where Spurs dominated but couldn't win. They got outplayed by teams like Sheffield and Brighton. They need an 86th minute goal just to tie Watford. In 5 of 12 games they held a lead and didn't win. They also blew two leads in the UCL.

I'm not saying Poch was the whole problem or even the main problem. But he's certainly not blameless. He can't be. How long do you let it go on before you make a change? I really don't know what the right answer is here.

This is strictly regarding the Poch firing, not the Mourinho hiring. I won't even try to defend that because you're spot on with that part.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56467
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 520
x 6941

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:36 pm

soccer10k wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Manager griping that you don't buy players and has lost the locker room? Go get Mourinho that'll fix it!

This could truly be one of the worst unforced errors in the history of sports business. They make it to the mountain top of super clubs after decades of being second class and then they hire someone who is the antithesis of their culture and business model.


I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just playing devil's advocate here...

What should they have done with Poch? Last 24 league games (12 this year and 12 last) and they have 25 points. So for almost 2/3 of a season, they played like a relegation team. And they couldn't score while playing a chunk of their normal team against a 4th division side. I know they had the UCL run and that was amazing, but that can't be the only thing you're judged on as a manager. This wasn't some string of unlucky results in the league either where Spurs dominated but couldn't win. They got outplayed by teams like Sheffield and Brighton. They need an 86th minute goal just to tie Watford. In 5 of 12 games they held a lead and didn't win. They also blew two leads in the UCL.

I'm not saying Poch was the whole problem or even the main problem. But he's certainly not blameless. He can't be. How long do you let it go on before you make a change? I really don't know what the right answer is here.

This is strictly regarding the Poch firing, not the Mourinho hiring. I won't even try to defend that because you're spot on with that part.


At the end of last year they had approximately 75 injuries and were prioritizing the Champions League run. They made it nervy but they qualified for Champions League too so even though it wasn't good it accomplished the primary objective.

As far as this year goes, I haven't watched a ton of Spurs, but multiple smart people who do seem to indicate the team is just fried. I would guess that's partially on Pochettino's coaching and playing style, but the majority is on the fixture congestion and lack of depth from the injuries and lack of signings. I tend to think managers get fired way too quickly in club soccer, but I also understand that they have an expensive stadium to pay for and they really need to make Champions League (currently 11 points out).
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38455
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1485

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby soccer10k » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:48 pm

Managers definitely do get fired too quickly.

I’d forgotten until the other day that Ranieri won the title with Leicester, won his UCL group the next year (it was weak but they still did it) and was fired after they lost their first R16 leg to Sevilla because they were in 17th.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12043
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 17
x 72

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby stitchface » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:16 am

I think there were "irreconcilable differences" with Poch so it was inevitable. Frankly, they didn't have the roster depth to compete on two fronts last year so going for Champions League made sense since they had no chance at the league. Too bad for them Kane returned.
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11388
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 62

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:06 pm

soccer10k wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Manager griping that you don't buy players and has lost the locker room? Go get Mourinho that'll fix it!

This could truly be one of the worst unforced errors in the history of sports business. They make it to the mountain top of super clubs after decades of being second class and then they hire someone who is the antithesis of their culture and business model.


I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just playing devil's advocate here...

What should they have done with Poch? Last 24 league games (12 this year and 12 last) and they have 25 points. So for almost 2/3 of a season, they played like a relegation team. And they couldn't score while playing a chunk of their normal team against a 4th division side. I know they had the UCL run and that was amazing, but that can't be the only thing you're judged on as a manager. This wasn't some string of unlucky results in the league either where Spurs dominated but couldn't win. They got outplayed by teams like Sheffield and Brighton. They need an 86th minute goal just to tie Watford. In 5 of 12 games they held a lead and didn't win. They also blew two leads in the UCL.

I'm not saying Poch was the whole problem or even the main problem. But he's certainly not blameless. He can't be. How long do you let it go on before you make a change? I really don't know what the right answer is here.

This is strictly regarding the Poch firing, not the Mourinho hiring. I won't even try to defend that because you're spot on with that part.

I was speaking specifically to Mourinho, so you're definitely not disagreeing with me.

I don't follow Spurs enough to know how dysfunctional the relationship with Poch & the club was, so I don't actually have much of an opinion. With the Bayern job out there, I think the timing makes sense for both parties to go their separate ways.
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11388
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 62

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 pm

Pulisic running at defenders with the ball at his feet is absolutely devastating. He’s a horsefeathering killer.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12043
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 17
x 72

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby stitchface » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Pulisic running at defenders with the ball at his feet is absolutely devastating. He’s a horsefeathering killer.



That was a great game!

Liverpool have sure become whiny.
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11388
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 62

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:55 pm

0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11388
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 62

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:34 pm



Finally!
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12043
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 17
x 72

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby stitchface » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:28 pm

I wonder if this game is going to cost Haaland - looks terrible. Salzburg has every right to have had a shot to eliminate Liverpool but basically they can't finish and their keeper gave away two goals.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56467
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 520
x 6941

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:07 pm

stitchface wrote:I wonder if this game is going to cost Haaland - looks terrible.


I dunno, Salah looked horrible until he finally converted that impossible angle for the 2nd goal. Haaland has 4 goals(2 pens) in the previous 3 games against Liverpool/Napoli so he's at least shown off goal scoring bona fides against top competition.
0 x


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests