Video Game Thread

cl smooth
All-Star

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby cl smooth » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:11 pm

the show 19 dropped a honus wagner 99 ovr signature series card yesterday:

in order to obtain him, you need to collect a [expletive] of cards (320 in total from 7 specific card sets).

as of early yesterday evening, only 4 players in the show players pool had him. i am 20 cards away from getting him but that will take me another 2 weeks or so.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:22 pm

The Logan wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:I recommend Outer Wilds for those who haven't played it. It's a space exploration game. You are in this little solar system and you are trying to figure out what happened to this other race whose buildings and technology were left behind. There is a log that neatly organizes these different things you have learned and can provide some gentle prods towards something you should look at. No combat, just flying around and trying to find different things. Really cool concept.

This game is something else. Thanks for the recommendation

Glad it's been worthwhile for you. I'm at the point where I feel like I've found most of the obvious/easily accessible stuff. Now I'm looking for the more complex or hidden stuff. I love the time aspect too - certain areas are only accessible at certain times during the loop.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:19 pm

I've never played DD before, have no idea what I'm doing, but I feel like the random cards I've pulled from other game modes have started me with a decent-ish team. Should I be doing Conquest mode?
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Derwood wrote:I've never played DD before, have no idea what I'm doing, but I feel like the random cards I've pulled from other game modes have started me with a decent-ish team. Should I be doing Conquest mode?

Do all conquest maps. They are simple and some of them net you good cards for starting out (Eric Gagne, Ty Cobb and Keith Hernandez).

Don’t forget to do the Sony Partners programs. Finish all of the missions and you’ll get a handful of diamond level cards.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:18 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Derwood wrote:I've never played DD before, have no idea what I'm doing, but I feel like the random cards I've pulled from other game modes have started me with a decent-ish team. Should I be doing Conquest mode?

Do all conquest maps. They are simple and some of them net you good cards for starting out (Eric Gagne, Ty Cobb and Keith Hernandez).

Don’t forget to do the Sony Partners programs. Finish all of the missions and you’ll get a handful of diamond level cards.

I have some mediocre rated legends. Are they maybe rookie cards, or "late in their career" cards? I have a 71-rated Ted Williams, and I have Fergie Jenkins as a 72-rated Closer
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Derwood wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

I have some mediocre rated legends. Are they maybe rookie cards, or "late in their career" cards? I have a 71-rated Ted Williams, and I have Fergie Jenkins as a 72-rated Closer

Ted Williams is an Impact Veteran card (late stage in their career or helped a younger team in a pennant chase) and the Fergie Jenkins card is his Rookie card.

If you like Williams, use the show marketplace to put in a buy order for his Rookie card. He’s an 87 ovr diamond and you can get him for maybe 6,000-8,000 stubs. Solid LF for your squad.

Also, most of the Live Series gold cards that are 80, 81 and 82 ovr can be purchased on the show marketplace for 1,000 stubs or so. You can replace whatever bronze or silver (or even common) cards you have in your lineup with better cards on the cheap.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:21 pm

I haven’t poked my nose into the marketplace yet. I have~15,000 stubs right now, and have lucked into pulling some good players like Josh Bell and Jose Iglesias. I also have Griffey from playing his Moments series
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:42 pm

I'm very early on, but Control is really cool. The telekinesis aspect is awesome, although it has the unfortunate side effect of making me sad for the Half Life series being dead and buried.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:53 am

Bertz wrote:I'm very early on, but Control is really cool. The telekinesis aspect is awesome, although it has the unfortunate side effect of making me sad for the Half Life series being dead and buried.

Please report back as you get deeper into the game. I'm intrigued but not ready to buy.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:56 am

Chocolate Milk wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:I recommend Outer Wilds for those who haven't played it. It's a space exploration game. You are in this little solar system and you are trying to figure out what happened to this other race whose buildings and technology were left behind. There is a log that neatly organizes these different things you have learned and can provide some gentle prods towards something you should look at. No combat, just flying around and trying to find different things. Really cool concept.

This game is something else. Thanks for the recommendation

Glad it's been worthwhile for you. I'm at the point where I feel like I've found most of the obvious/easily accessible stuff. Now I'm looking for the more complex or hidden stuff. I love the time aspect too - certain areas are only accessible at certain times during the loop.

That sounds really fun. Bummed to see it's not on the PS4.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm playing through Remnant: From the Ashes with a couple of buddies. Definitely a fun and challenging game. The lazy comp is Dark Souls with guns - but that's a pretty good shorthand for what the game is like.

Getting ready for BL3.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:05 pm

not really into cell phone/free to play games but i am REALLY sucked into marvel strike force at the moment. i'm a few shards away from obtaining daredevil and completing the defenders team.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Dead Cells was added to Game Pass and boy... if you're a fan of Metroidvania style games, don't pass this one up. Man is it addicting. It's stylish, fast-paced, challenging, but not in a Dark Souls kind of way, and since a lot of the maps have sections that are procedurally generated, every time you die and start over, nothing is ever the same. The replayability factor is off the charts. I've been playing the same 4-5 levels for a couple days now building my stats and character up, and I've yet to get tired of it. I keep pushing myself to get further and further and sometimes, dying is your best strategy. It's an absurdly well-crafted game and I love love love it.

The gameplay reminds me a lot of Mark of the Ninja, if anyone played that and enjoyed it.
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:43 pm

The Logan wrote:Dead Cells was added to Game Pass and boy... if you're a fan of Metroidvania style games, don't pass this one up. Man is it addicting. It's stylish, fast-paced, challenging, but not in a Dark Souls kind of way, and since a lot of the maps have sections that are procedurally generated, every time you die and start over, nothing is ever the same. The replayability factor is off the charts. I've been playing the same 4-5 levels for a couple days now building my stats and character up, and I've yet to get tired of it. I keep pushing myself to get further and further and sometimes, dying is your best strategy. It's an absurdly well-crafted game and I love love love it.

The gameplay reminds me a lot of Mark of the Ninja, if anyone played that and enjoyed it.

Me: "Oooh, I love a good metroidvania..."

*looks up description*

Experience a Roguevania, mixing an interconnected world, branching paths and unlockable skills with the constant adrenaline-pumping threat of permadeath. No checkpoints. You either vanquish the final boss in one go, or you try again. However, you keep some of your progress for successive runs; new paths you’ve unlocked, access to new levels, mutations, abilities and weapons.

Me: "Oh dear god"
1 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:09 pm

I just beat it. So initially I thought I was done. When you finish, you acquire a boss cell that increases the difficulty one point. By doing this you unlock other things (better goodies, more cells, and power-ups), and gain access to various doors that are found throughout various levels as well, until you beat it again, and rinse and repeat, all the way up to 5 cells.

I'm not a huge fan of dying in video games, but games like this where you get better and unlock more goodies by doing so, it sucks me in. The original Dead Rising was that way and that's one of my favorite game ever. That said, I'm unsure if I'll have the patience to go through the process 5 more times. I had about 16 deaths (and because of that, 16 playthroughs) my first time around before beating it. Can't imagine what it would be like with the difficulty turned up one notch since it was already pretty damn difficult to begin with.

But there'sd so many different ways you can play it. You can do speed runs, which unlock bonus rooms in-between levels for reaching the room before the allotted time limit runs out. OR survival runs, which opens up other rooms if you kill X amount of enemies without taking a hit before reaching the next room. There are tons of sub-goals you can focus on to change the gameplay and style altogether. It's really a brilliantly crafted game.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:44 am

My son did an internship with Schell Games this summer. This is the game he worked on. It's a VR sword fighting game called Until You Fall

1 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:40 am

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:08 am

Butterscup wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II5UsqP2JAk

Coming out at the perfect time when I won't have any time to play it :banghead:
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 pm

The Untitled Goose Game is everything I never knew I really wanted from a video game. As soon as I can figure how to get the goose to honk "CHAOS REIGNS," my life will be complete.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Any of the new iOS Arcade games worth playing? None of them jump out at me immediately...
0 x
Win it for Fred

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:59 pm

Borderlands 3 is good so far! Basically just more Borderlands. I love co-op games. I wish there were more of them.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The Untitled Goose Game is everything I never knew I really wanted from a video game. As soon as I can figure how to get the goose to honk "CHAOS REIGNS," my life will be complete.

I see everyone losing their horsefeathers about this game. You basically just run around as goose and annoy people by taking their items, honking at them, and whatnot?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:20 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The Untitled Goose Game is everything I never knew I really wanted from a video game. As soon as I can figure how to get the goose to honk "CHAOS REIGNS," my life will be complete.

I see everyone losing their horsefeathers about this game. You basically just run around as goose and annoy people by taking their items, honking at them, and whatnot?

Pretty much; I find it to be an awesome stress reliever. There's all kinds of puzzles to solve, there's a ton of different ways you can make the world work for your chaos, and heck, you can even be a Good Goose if you want to. And, kind of unexpectedly, there is a very loose storyline. I dunno; I find it incredibly soothing and satisfying.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:41 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:

Pretty much; I find it to be an awesome stress reliever. There's all kinds of puzzles to solve, there's a ton of different ways you can make the world work for your chaos, and heck, you can even be a Good Goose if you want to. And, kind of unexpectedly, there is a very loose storyline. I dunno; I find it incredibly soothing and satisfying.

Is that PC and Switch only?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:I see everyone losing their horsefeathers about this game. You basically just run around as goose and annoy people by taking their items, honking at them, and whatnot?

Is that PC and Switch only?

Yup! (Well, Mac, too)
0 x

Return to “Social”