Cubs TV Deal Stuff

TarzanJoeWallis
Role Player

Re: Cubs TV Deal Stuff

Postby TarzanJoeWallis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Andy wrote:
TarzanJoeWallis wrote:Okay, I need some help from those of you more familiar with the blackout rules than I am. I live in the Indianapolis area. The Cubs, White Sox, and Reds are all considered in our market. When one of those teams is on TV (CSN, Fox Midwest, WGN, etc.) we are never blacked out. All of the other games involving teams other than those three are blacked out.

If I were to get the Extra Innings package, would the Cubs games on WGN local, WLS, and WCIU be blacked out for me?

Yes. Blackout doesn't mean you can't watch on cable, it means it's the only place you can watch (no MLBTV, no Extra Innings).

You can go to this site and there's a text box to type in your zip code, and it tells you every team you won't be able to watch on MLBTV or EI.

Thanks. That really stinks.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:55 pm

I don't get why the blackout issue is coming up now. That was determined a very long time ago.

The only way that wouldn't have happened is if CSN picked up the rest of the schedule (which never seemed very likely).

KVS
bench player

Postby KVS » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:42 pm

There was a lot of talk a few months back the mlb.tv blackout restrictions were going to be eased. I haven't seen anything lately but here's an article on it from August:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2599202 ... tters.html

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:04 pm

David wrote:I don't get why the blackout issue is coming up now. That was determined a very long time ago.

The only way that wouldn't have happened is if CSN picked up the rest of the schedule (which never seemed very likely).

Blackout issues come up for those who live in the Cubs territory but don't get the channel games are switching too. People in Indy probably don't get wls7 but did get wgn.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Cubs TV Deal Stuff

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:08 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:I don't get why the blackout issue is coming up now. That was determined a very long time ago.

Blackout issues come up for those who live in the Cubs territory but don't get the channel games are switching too. People in Indy probably don't get wls7 but did get wgn.

And here comes David again to rehash that people in Indy get WGN America and not the local one Chicagoans get, and that sports broadcasts were going out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

gscool89
All-Star

Postby gscool89 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Even then you probably lose a ton of games when they put it on CSN+

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Matt Spiegel says they're going to talk to someone from MLB Advanced Media next week to see if there will be any change to the blackout region as a result of this.

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:42 pm

Banedon wrote:Matt Spiegel says they're going to talk to someone from MLB Advanced Media next week to see if there will be any change to the blackout region as a result of this.

I should hope that they would. I have some friends back up in Eastern Iowa who are none too happy about this, to say the least.

gscool89
All-Star

Postby gscool89 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Get an affiliate deal done with Indiana, Central/Southern Illinois, Iowa etc. Show the select games on the local PBS station or something. I'm sure the ratings would be better than what they've been.

TarzanJoeWallis
Role Player

Postby TarzanJoeWallis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:55 pm

gscool89 wrote:Get an affiliate deal done with Indiana, Central/Southern Illinois, Iowa etc. Show the select games on the local PBS station or something. I'm sure the ratings would be better than what they've been.

Indy's CBS affiliate is losing the affiliation January 1 after 60 years of being a CBS station. They will now be an independent and are scrambling for programming (basically plan to show news about 14 hours a day). I think I will encourage them to add Cubs baseball.

J.R.
5-Time All-Star

Postby J.R. » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I want a monster deal, not getting a portion of games locked in with busted ass channel 7 until [expletive].

More money than the crappy WGN deal, sure, but not the [expletive] you money of the oh-so-brief insane TV deal bubble.

Channel 7 is an ABC (Disney) O/O. Bodes well for ESPN cooperation on a Cubs RSN, if such things exist when 2020 comes around.

If the mainstream cable/satellite model evaporates in the interim and we wind up in a broadband fueled al la carte world, a mix of OTA and streaming may be the new model for sports. News and political advertising will prop up local stations in the big markets long after the networks leave broadcasting behind, and they will welcome DVR-proof programming. Teams need an instrument to draw general audiences to the park and to the realm of diehards who will pay upfront to watch sports online.

Guessing about the future of the sports TV landscape is a fool's errand, but this much seems clear - non-fans are tiring of footing the bill for ESPN and RSNs.

hawkeyecub
5-Time All-Star

Postby hawkeyecub » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:24 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

No [expletive]. This sucks for a large percentage of the fan base unless something changes.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:30 pm

@MLBBruceLevine

Source -Chicago Cubs and WGN TV will announce new multi year deal .WGN will broadcast 45 games this season . Should be announced this week.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Banedon wrote:@MLBBruceLevine

Source -Chicago Cubs and WGN TV will announce new multi year deal .WGN will broadcast 45 games this season . Should be announced this week.

Will WGN America carry those games too?

gscool89
All-Star

Postby gscool89 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:34 pm

CubinNY wrote:

WGN-TV=Local

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:41 pm

CubinNY wrote:

I replied to Levine to ask, but I'd guess not, or it'd have been mentioned. I'm hoping for some kind of local simulcast, like they're doing with some of the WGN Bulls games right now.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:49 pm

I imagine this carries through 2019.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:55 pm

@CSNMooney Source confirms #Cubs will announce new TV deal with WGN, as @MLBBruceLevine reported, with games airing locally (not part of superstation).

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:06 pm

So that accounts for all the games?

80 on CSN
45 on WGN
25 on ABC

That leaves 12. Is that the standard allotment held for FOX/ESPN, or will WCIU account for some of those 12 (or are they included in WGN numbers)?
Dare to dream....

gscool89
All-Star

Postby gscool89 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Maybe CSN/CSN+ are picking up the remaining 12

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Cubs TV Deal Stuff

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:11 pm

I think 12 is for national.
ImageImage

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm sure it's national broadcasts. They've not announced any more than the opener, but that accounts for one!

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:14 am

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

The new agreement keeps the partnership intact for five more seasons, although the Cubs may have early termination options if they can establish their regional network sooner, sources said.

Last season, WGN-Ch. 9 paid about $250,000 per game and lost $200,000 per game because of weak advertising revenue, sources said. The new rights agreement is likely more favorable for WGN and could play out better than last year’s deal, sources said, despite a later start on ad sales.

Hopefully, that just means in terms of WGN being able to make money on the product going forward.

With channel 7 getting their pick of the better games, though, I kinda expected little out of this WGN portion. Still no terms publicly on that one (WLS), either, as far as I know.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Cubs TV Deal Stuff

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:20 am

David wrote:http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/ct-cubs-wgn-tv-0107-biz-20150106-story.html

The new agreement keeps the partnership intact for five more seasons, although the Cubs may have early termination options if they can establish their regional network sooner, sources said.

Last season, WGN-Ch. 9 paid about $250,000 per game and lost $200,000 per game because of weak advertising revenue, sources said. The new rights agreement is likely more favorable for WGN and could play out better than last year’s deal, sources said, despite a later start on ad sales.

Hopefully, that just means in terms of WGN being able to make money on the product going forward.

With channel 7 getting their pick of the better games, though, I kinda expected little out of this WGN portion. Still no terms publicly on that one (WLS), either, as far as I know.

A share of advertising wouldn't surprise me.
ImageImage

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:12 am

Going to be lazy and just link to Brett's summaries instead of the actual articles

http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/01/0 ... r-bullets/

Main takeaway - deals have opt outs so we can work out a longer term deal before 2019 if possible

Hopefully the ratings are crazy good next year

Return to “Cubs Discussions”