The Music Thread

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Music Thread

Postby TruffleShuffle » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:55 am

first line of pitchfork's review of his latest album, which they posted 5 days ago:

David Bowie has died many deaths yet he is still with us.

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:23 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:first line of pitchfork's review of his latest album, which they posted 5 days ago:

David Bowie has died many deaths yet he is still with us.

I wonder if they'll change it. :-k
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:35 am

This is awful news. It really sucks.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:27 am

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:31 am

Noooooooooooo

:bye:
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:55 am

Damn. Didn't even know Bowie was sick. Got to see him once in New Orleans many years ago. Great show.
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:13 am

his 70s output is Barry Bonds on steroids; 8 or 9 certified classics, like how does that happen

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:29 am

Oh, and unless I missed it, this thread was disappointingly quiet about his recent album, which is pretty fantastic.
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:59 am

Ugggggggggggghhhhh. Finally went to bed just as a couple friends posted a link about this, but it was from a super shady-looking site so I figured it was just another internet death hoax and went to sleep. This is the [expletive] worst.

Anyone else see the "David Bowie Is..." exhibit when it was at the MCA in Chicago in 2014?
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 am

Who the hell would have called Iggy Pop being the last man standing of the original punk and glam scenes?

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:41 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Who the hell would have called Iggy Pop being the last man standing of the original punk and glam scenes?

hey dont sell known pederast gary glitter short

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:51 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Who the hell would have called Iggy Pop being the last man standing of the original punk and glam scenes?

Alice Cooper? Kiss?

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:52 am

Exile on Waveland wrote:Oh, and unless I missed it, this thread was disappointingly quiet about his recent album, which is pretty fantastic.

Had no idea it came out until today. Based on the 20 or so mins or so I listened to it this morning he continued to be different and fresh all the way to the end. Very very few artists who spend 45 years making music can claim something similar. RIP
Dare to dream....

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:27 am

Is the Hot Hot Hot guy still alive?

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:29 am

Derwood wrote:

David Johansen (aka Buster Poindexter) of The New York Dolls is still alive. He's in the Bill Murray Christmas special he just did for Netflix.
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Old Style wrote:He's in the Bill Murray Christmas special he just did for Netflix.

Which was kinda terrible, tbh.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:49 pm

Banedon wrote:
Old Style wrote:He's in the Bill Murray Christmas special he just did for Netflix.

Which was kinda terrible, tbh.

I think it just wasn't what anyone was expecting. I thought it was just OK, but it turned out that Bill Murray just wanted to actually do a plain ol' Christmas special, which was not what I went in thinking it would be. It was like that VERY short-lived Comedy Central series with him and his brothers that people thought would some Caddyshack-inspired hilarity and it ended up actually just being them travelling around and playing golf and...that's it.

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:57 pm

I watched the man who fell to earth kinda recently. It's amazing that at the height of his thin white duke craziness he pulled off thatveprformance.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:05 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:I watched the man who fell to earth kinda recently. It's amazing that at the height of his thin white duke craziness he pulled off thatveprformance.

Still kicking myself I never picked that up when Criterion put it out. A new Criterion edition DVD or BR were already ridiculously expensive; now they're just going to skyrocket.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:I watched the man who fell to earth kinda recently. It's amazing that at the height of his thin white duke craziness he pulled off thatveprformance.

Still kicking myself I never picked that up when Criterion put it out. A new Criterion edition DVD or BR were already ridiculously expensive; now they're just going to skyrocket.

I've got a sealed copy that I bought on clearance. \:D/

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:26 pm

When you think about Bowie as a creator and performer and then consider what an interesting and likeable person he seems to be; it's really one of a kind.

He's many generations standard bearer for (I can think of the word really but will go with) "countercultural icon" while being a commercially successful and accessible pop culture artist. He doesn't seem to have a peer. Maybe he was taking the art brut of the time and adding his brand of pop to it or just being an original artist. I don't know enough about the 70s to properly put him in context.

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:40 pm

Old Style wrote:
Derwood wrote:

David Johansen (aka Buster Poindexter) of The New York Dolls is still alive. He's in the Bill Murray Christmas special he just did for Netflix.
I loved the New York Dolls.

Just last week at work a couple of us were talking about how Bowie still put out good new music. It's a shame he passed while the Stones keep trucking on while not making any new decent music in 40 yrs.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:59 pm

It's impossible to hear a David Bowie song and not just be totally tansfixed.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:10 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:It's impossible to hear a David Bowie song and not just be totally tansfixed.

You Tube the video for his new song "Lazarus". Wow!

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:50 pm

Saw Car Seat Headrest on Saturday. Scored tix to Beach House today. Tomorrow I'll grab a couple tix to see Courtney Barnett. Good concert week early in 2016 after a pretty down 2015.

Just hoping Tame Impala expands their NA tour to play Seattle, esp since they aren't in the Sasquatch lineup.

Return to “Social”