Star Wars Thread

doublebubble
Starter

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby doublebubble » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:18 am

went into the movie with low expectations and was still disappointed. Basically it was the same movie from 1977. Disney should sue itself for plagiarism.

cl smooth
Starter

Postby cl smooth » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:26 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
cl smooth wrote:i'm still blown away by the comment about spielberg being an "unqualified master of film."

Hey, I thought that was the only thing he got right. Spielberg is the [expletive].

haha perhaps I read that wrong; i interpreted that as him insulting spielberg.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:31 am

doublebubble wrote:went into the movie with low expectations and was still disappointed. Basically it was the same movie from 1977. Disney should sue itself for plagiarism.

This person is so wrong. The movie was great. It was fun, had dialogue and characters and relationships that all made sense. Good acting, great cinematography, and a story that made [expletive] sense!

I loved every second of it, and so will just about everyone that goes and sees it.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:37 am

cl smooth wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
cl smooth wrote:i'm still blown away by the comment about spielberg being an "unqualified master of film."

Hey, I thought that was the only thing he got right. Spielberg is the [expletive].

haha perhaps I read that wrong; i interpreted that as him insulting spielberg.

Granted, he was knocking that last crappy Indiana Jones flick, but yeah, I'm assuming he meant "unqualified" as in "an unqualified success."

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:59 am

Banedon wrote:
doublebubble wrote:went into the movie with low expectations and was still disappointed. Basically it was the same movie from 1977. Disney should sue itself for plagiarism.

This person is so wrong. The movie was great. It was fun, had dialogue and characters and relationships that all made sense. Good acting, great cinematography, and a story that made [expletive] sense!

I loved every second of it, and so will just about everyone that goes and sees it.

Absolutely.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:24 am

I loved it! This movie does the franchise well.

I felt it tied the new characters' story into the ones we already cared about, made us care about them, and did an excellent job telling its own story.

I enjoyed it.

Felix Leiter
Starter

Postby Felix Leiter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:36 am

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:I loved it! This movie does the franchise well.

I felt it tied the new characters' story into the ones we already cared about, made us care about them, and did an excellent job telling its own story.

I enjoyed it.

That's great. How wonderful to have a movie that builds excitement and everyone wants to see during the holidays. We used to go to see the Bond movies at the Chicago Theatre during the holidays and it was great. Did I understand that it be one new Star Wars movie each year or so?

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:39 am

I mean, its Star Wars. You can't just change up everything. The similarities to the OT were great as far as I'm concerned. Great new characters. Can't wait to see it again and hopefully see a bunch of stuff I missed. Other than Ween, I!l be shocked if anyone else posting in here doesn't love it.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:39 am

Felix Leiter wrote:Did I understand that it be one new Star Wars movie each year or so?

They have one a year planned through 2020. Every other year for the main episodes...and spinoffs for the years in between.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:41 am

Felix Leiter wrote:
vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:I loved it! This movie does the franchise well.

I enjoyed it.

That's great. How wonderful to have a movie that builds excitement and everyone wants to see during the holidays. We used to go to see the Bond movies at the Chicago Theatre during the holidays and it was great. Did I understand that it be one new Star Wars movie each year or so?

Episode 8 is May 2017. I'm honestly not remembering if Rogue One comes before or after that. But I think before. And yeah, it seems like they've got plenty of other movies planned too.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:43 am

davell wrote:I mean, its Star Wars. You can't just change up everything. The similarities to the OT were great as far as I'm concerned. Great new characters. Can't wait to see it again and hopefully see a bunch of stuff I missed. Other than Ween, I!l be shocked if anyone else posting in here doesn't love it.

I did think that

Spoiler: show
blowing up the vulnerable part of the mega ship/weapon to save the day

was maybe a bit too on the nose, but everything else that was familiar played as a well-done homage to me. And I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan.

Also, I'm not sure if this was intentional, but

Akbar using every other word possible to avoid saying they can't defeat 'shields of this magnitude'

made me laugh out loud.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:02 am

Wow. Gonna have to take my daughter to see this next week
We are doomed.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:15 am

So there was a cameo:

The stormtrooper that Rey mind tricked was Daniel Craig. Bond was shooting right next to SW at some point and he "did it for [expletive] and grins".

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:50 am

JJ Abrams really gets what made the original trilogy so entertaining. He understands character building, pacing, raising the stakes. The laughs are earned.

I think I am as relieved as I am stoked for how good this movie is

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:25 am

Holy [expletive], it made 57 million on Thursday night.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:27 am

davell wrote:Holy [expletive], it made 57 million on Thursday night.

Might be the highest grossing movie of 2015 AND 2016

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:02 pm

That was so damn exciting. Can't remember the last time I had that much fun at a movie theater. Everything about it was great. None of it was hokey or forced. It's incredible what you can do with these movies when George Lucas isn't writing the dialogue.
formerly known as PriorPower

Brian707
Starter

Postby Brian707 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it very much.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Good lord that was fun. They actually make lightsaber battles intense (it shouldn't be that hard, George).

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:48 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Good lord that was fun. They actually make lightsaber battles intense (it shouldn't be that hard, George).

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:07 pm

A little disappointed that they're saving Rey's back story for Ep8.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:51 pm

also

R2D2 just "having the rest of the map" was a bit of a cop out.

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Heads up, definite spoiler below..

Well since Ryne is quiet, I guess I have to be the one to piss on everyone's cheerios. I'm glad you guys liked it, but I'm quite perplexed at all these positive reviews. I hated the Kylo Ren character (exaggerated temper and eyes full of tears, where have we seen this before?) and the light saber duels were rather short/weak, IMO. Character development was great, admittedly. Other than that... No limbs lost. No force spirits. Snoke was fresh off the set of LotR/Harry Potter. No Luke until after the movie is over and we got nothing from him. It definitely had the same "feel" as the OT, but story-wise it just left much to be desired. Felt more like a cheap knock-off to me.

Also, enormous potential problem...is Rey "strong with the force" or is she actually a Jedi? Huge difference. If it's the former, how the hell does she wield a LS for the first time and magically defeat Ren? Luke lost an arm to Vader because he didn't complete Yoda's training, rendering him too weak. Same with Anakin when he battled Dooku in Ep II, too weak. Granted Kylo Ren is no Vader, but seeing as he was originally trained by Luke to become a Jedi, he should very easily defeated someone like Rey, who allegedly had NO knowledge of the force/Jedi until earlier in the movie. Unless Ep VIII reveals that Rey lied about all that and her "I thought Luke (and therefore the Jedi) was a myth" comment, and actually did have prior training, THIS CANNOT HAPPEN!

All that said... I actually DID think it was fun, and overall probably not a disaster. 7/10. But I expected much, much more.
I demand dongs. I demand annihilation.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:18 pm

Banedon wrote:So there was a cameo:

The stormtrooper that Rey mind tricked was Daniel Craig. Bond was shooting right next to SW at some point and he "did it for [expletive] and grins".

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/12/18/star-wars-director-responds-to-daniel-craig-cameo-rumours

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:57 pm

I thought it was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Return to “Social”