Star Wars Thread

davell
Superstar
Posts: 15883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby davell » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:50 am

When the Rebellion won and danced at the end of ROTJ, you seriously have to wonder if they ever actually won anything. Its not like they killed EVERYONE in the Empire. They could have regrouped awfully quickly. Plus, without the Rebellion ruling with an iron fist, as the Empire did, planets could easily stay very corrupt to begin with.

In the end, I think Dark Helmet said it best......"Evil always wins, because good is dumb."
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:56 am

Ryne Ween wrote:I'm pretty curious about Snoke. What was Snokr up to for the previous 60 years. Wouldn't a guy that powerful be in the mix? He was able to acquire both a Tarkin and a Vader within the last few years so he's manipulative as well as powerful why wasn't he in the mix?[/spoiler]


Spoiler: show
Son of Palpatine, disguised or disfigured...calling it now.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 15883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby davell » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:00 am

Banedon wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:I'm pretty curious about Snoke. What was Snokr up to for the previous 60 years. Wouldn't a guy that powerful be in the mix? He was able to acquire both a Tarkin and a Vader within the last few years so he's manipulative as well as powerful why wasn't he in the mix?[/spoiler]


Spoiler: show
Son of Palpatine, disguised or disfigured...calling it now.



I gotta admit, I hope not. Too much symmetry at that point.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:01 am

I also hope not.

User avatar
CubsBearsMagic
All-Star
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:05 am

People around me won't stop calling Snoke "Snooki". I hate him for that alone.
I demand dongs. I demand annihilation.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 15883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby davell » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:09 am

I hope he's revealed to be a really pissed off Ewok.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 15883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby davell » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:13 am

By the way, does anyone know if there has been collaboration between JJ and Rian Johnson? I really wish JJ was doing all 3, just so we'd get a singular viewpoint. Nothing against Johnson, as I'd say the same thing if he had done 7.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Ryne Ween
All-Star
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:26 am

Banedon wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:I'm pretty curious about Snoke. What was Snokr up to for the previous 60 years. Wouldn't a guy that powerful be in the mix? He was able to acquire both a Tarkin and a Vader within the last few years so he's manipulative as well as powerful why wasn't he in the mix?[/spoiler]


Spoiler: show
Son of Palpatine, disguised or disfigured...calling it now.


Spoiler: show
im thinking they will make it that Snoke is actually Darth Something and trained palpatine. Like an evil yoda that's been around forever OR he's some terrible thing that Palpatine was preparing the galaxy to face.

That said I don't think it works. They should have made Luke a fallen Jedi controlling the new order. Maybe he grabs the lightsaber in the opening scene of 8 and cuts Rey's head off.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:39 am

Abbc3 Spoiler Show

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7179
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Bedford, TX

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Old Style » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:52 am

I [expletive] loved this movie.
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39913
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:02 am
Location: Naperville, IL
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:38 pm

This article explains a lot of what happened in between ROTJ and TFA.
Spoiler: show

Image

Ryne Ween
All-Star
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Abbc3 Spoiler Show


Spoiler: show
seems like either laziness or expediency on the part of the writers. They basically recreated the Empire, and made a new palpatine, Vader and Tarkin.

There is nothing that they can do to bridge the gap from the end of RotJ and a new empire looking group using storm troopers for some reason with an enourmous Death Star in the timeframe they created. Even if Finn is the oldest storm trooper it means they were kidnapping kids a year or two after the end of ep 6.

This is all easily avoided if they didn't feel the need to include actors from the original cast. They could have fast forwarded a hundred years and this would make more sense. they could call this one episode 10 and it would make even more sense.

6.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39913
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:02 am
Location: Naperville, IL
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Abbc3 Spoiler Show


Spoiler: show
seems like either laziness or expediency on the part of the writers. They basically recreated the Empire, and made a new palpatine, Vader and Tarkin.

There is nothing that they can do to bridge the gap from the end of RotJ and a new empire looking group using storm troopers for some reason with an enourmous Death Star in the timeframe they created. Even if Finn is the oldest storm trooper it means they were kidnapping kids a year or two after the end of ep 6.

This is all easily avoided if they didn't feel the need to include actors from the original cast. They could have fast forwarded a hundred years and this would make more sense. they could call this one episode 10 and it would make even more sense.

6.

Spoiler: show
Any new power that grows that quickly is going to grow from the fragments of the old empire. First of all, it would make sense that they inherited equipment from the old empire. The galaxy is a VERY big place. Given the "iron fist" nature of the empire and the fact that it was only 20+ years old at the time of ROTJ, the majority of the fleet would be needed at any given time to simply control portions of the galaxy. Those remnants would be at the core of any new group powerful enough to challenge the new republic.

Plus, if you were a new group looking to return the galaxy to an empire instead of a republic, you would definitely style yourself as the heir of the empire for perceived legitimacy, if nothing else.
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:53 pm

Spoiler: show
Ryne Ween wrote:seems like either laziness or expediency on the part of the writers. They basically recreated the Empire, and made a new palpatine, Vader and Tarkin.


So what? They're templates that work and it's what we want to see. Save the totally new stuff for the other films; this trilogy is a direct continuation of what we've already seen.

There is nothing that they can do to bridge the gap from the end of RotJ and a new empire looking group using storm troopers for some reason with an enourmous Death Star in the timeframe they created. Even if Finn is the oldest storm trooper it means they were kidnapping kids a year or two after the end of ep 6.


What are you talking about? "For some reason?" This is the Empire, just with a new name. 30 years have passed since the end of RotJ; they still had a huge army/fleet, so plenty of time and resources to build the weapon. They wouldn't have to completely staff their army with Finn-type soldiers. And why would Finn be the oldest? He's probably supposed to be 20 at the most.

This is all easily avoided if they didn't feel the need to include actors from the original cast. They could have fast forwarded a hundred years and this would make more sense. they could call this one episode 10 and it would make even more sense.


Again, these are movies made with the intention of being a direct continuation of the ones we've already seen.

6.


Agreed?

Ryne Ween
All-Star
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Spoiler: show
i get you had a blast and that's what's important. I'm just pointing out that in order to have Harrison Ford in the movie they made stupid decisions with the backstory to this trilogy. If you needed Ford to truly appreciate the thrill ride, then the writers made the correct decision and you should be pleased.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39913
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:02 am
Location: Naperville, IL
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:09 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
Spoiler: show
i get you had a blast and that's what's important. I'm just pointing out that in order to have Harrison Ford in the movie they made stupid decisions with the backstory to this trilogy. If you needed Ford to truly appreciate the thrill ride, then the writers made the correct decision and you should be pleased.

And we're pointing out that your objections are meaningless and stupid.
Spoiler: show

Image

Ryne Ween
All-Star
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Tim wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:
Spoiler: show
i get you had a blast and that's what's important. I'm just pointing out that in order to have Harrison Ford in the movie they made stupid decisions with the backstory to this trilogy. If you needed Ford to truly appreciate the thrill ride, then the writers made the correct decision and you should be pleased.

And we're pointing out that your objections are meaningless and stupid.


Fair enough.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:i get you had a blast and that's what's important. I'm just pointing out that in order to have Harrison Ford in the movie they made stupid decisions with the backstory to this trilogy. If you needed Ford to truly appreciate the thrill ride, then the writers made the correct decision and you should be pleased.


Actually, you haven't pointed that out at all; your points are all rambling and hard to follow, and you were just going on and on about the Empire/First Order and now you're suddenly claiming you were actually talking about Han Solo.

In short: what the hell are you talking about.

doublebubble
Starter
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby doublebubble » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Spoiler: show
Ryne Ween wrote:seems like either laziness or expediency on the part of the writers. They basically recreated the Empire, and made a new palpatine, Vader and Tarkin.


So what? They're templates that work and it's what we want to see. Save the totally new stuff for the other films; this trilogy is a direct continuation of what we've already seen.

There is nothing that they can do to bridge the gap from the end of RotJ and a new empire looking group using storm troopers for some reason with an enourmous Death Star in the timeframe they created. Even if Finn is the oldest storm trooper it means they were kidnapping kids a year or two after the end of ep 6.


What are you talking about? "For some reason?" This is the Empire, just with a new name. 30 years have passed since the end of RotJ; they still had a huge army/fleet, so plenty of time and resources to build the weapon. They wouldn't have to completely staff their army with Finn-type soldiers. And why would Finn be the oldest? He's probably supposed to be 20 at the most.

This is all easily avoided if they didn't feel the need to include actors from the original cast. They could have fast forwarded a hundred years and this would make more sense. they could call this one episode 10 and it would make even more sense.


Again, these are movies made with the intention of being a direct continuation of the ones we've already seen.

6.


Agreed?


Spoiler: show
did you even see Return of the Jedi? The Empire lost MOST of its fleet save a few Star Destroyers and planets started defecting like crazy. They were fractured. There is no way they would be able to turn an entire planet into a death star with a much depleted workforce. Not to mention the allies the rebel alliance had like the Mon Calamari???? Where the hell was their fleet? If you are going to buy into the BS that there is a resistance within the First Order, and the Republic reformed then you know, those crafty captial ship builders the Mon Calamari down the road with 30 years additional R&D could make something awesome to combat this whole death star BS? Not to mention that ION CANNONS FIRE THROUGH SHIELDS (Empire Strikes back the ion cannons from Hoth temporarily disabling Star Destroyers to get transports safely off the surface) and disable their target...

This whole movie reeks of letting Nazi Germany survive to return and do the same thing again and not being prepared for an attack or agression you know will happen. (dont say WW1 because its not the same. the empire more of a comparison to Nazi Germany)


I am glad you guys had fun, but for me it was a total turn your brain off to enjoy it movie. Too many rehashes, to many interchanged cookie cutter character remolds, too much ignored history. Abrahms did the movie this way to bring people into Star Wars, which is fine, he also changed writers(not by his own choice) with not a lot of time before filming which could explain the lazy story writing. He also has no excuse for the second movie now, if he brings the same garbage, star wars is ruined.
Last edited by doublebubble on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:23 pm

doublebubble wrote:did you even see Return of the Jedi?


I did!

The Empire lost MOST of its fleet save a few Star Destroyers and planets started defecting like crazy. They were fractured.


Apparently I didn't see that super-secret special cut.

There is no way they would be able to turn an entire planet into a death star with a much depleted workforce. Not to mention the allies the rebel alliance had like the Mon Calamari???? Where the hell was their fleet? If you are going to buy into the BS that there is a resistance within the First Order, and the Republic reformed then you know, those crafty captial ship builders the Mon Calamari down the road with 30 years additional R&D could make something awesome to combat this whole death star BS? Not to mention that ION CANNONS FIRE THROUGH SHIELDS (Empire Strikes back the ion cannons from Hoth temporarily disabling Star Destroyers to get transports safely off the surface) and disable their target...

This whole movie reeks of letting Nazi Germany survive to return and do the same thing again and not being prepared for an attack or agression you know will happen. (dont say WW1 because its not the same. the empire more of a comparison to Nazi Germany)


Little of the science in SW makes sense. TIE Fighters and X-Wings make absolutely no sense. How the hell does a lightsaber stop? The logistics of building ONE Death Star is complete nonsense. Basically you either just accept the context of their "flexible reality" or it's Star Trek. And nobody wants that.

User avatar
Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist
Posts: 28070
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:57 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:58 pm

also the force isnt real such [expletive]
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Star Wars has always had crappy science. It's something the series has willfully ignored, and has asked the audience to do as well.

The retractable wings on the Emperor's shuttle are stupid. Clearly the wings do nothing in space....why design a ship that has to bother retracting pointless wings to land?

Ryne Ween
All-Star
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Spoiler: show
maybe Snoke made a deal to honor the obligations of the empire if the empires vendors continued to supply them. The Rebels wouldn't have had the relationships with the major weapon manufacturers right after RotJ don't you see how bad this movie is

Ryne Ween
All-Star
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Banedon wrote:Star Wars has always had crappy science. It's something the series has willfully ignored, and has asked the audience to do as well.

The retractable wings on the Emperor's shuttle are stupid. Clearly the wings do nothing in space....why design a ship that has to bother retracting pointless wings to land?


Then bring Vader back because Life and death don't need to exist as a concept either.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39913
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:02 am
Location: Naperville, IL
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
Banedon wrote:Star Wars has always had crappy science. It's something the series has willfully ignored, and has asked the audience to do as well.

The retractable wings on the Emperor's shuttle are stupid. Clearly the wings do nothing in space....why design a ship that has to bother retracting pointless wings to land?


Then bring Vader back because Life and death don't need to exist as a concept either.

I think I express the sentiments of many people here when I suggest that if you find the movies this distasteful, just stop posting in the thread.
Spoiler: show

Image


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest