PLANES ARE MADE OF NIGHTMARES

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Re: PLANES ARE MADE OF NIGHTMARES

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:56 pm

I like CTA trains. Metra works for me, because I only go to and from my mom's on it, but if I had to set my schedule so precisely to get on an express, it would drive me mad.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:00 pm

that makes two of the scared enough of flying that they opt for trains as a result people who willingly (and seemingly eagerly) watch shows about air disasters.

wtf

glavine93
All-Star

Postby glavine93 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:12 pm

David wrote:that makes two of the scared enough of flying that they opt for trains as a result people who willingly (and seemingly eagerly) watch shows about air disasters.

wtf

i never said i wasn't ghoulish. and now if i'm on a crashing plane, i can provide the pilots with expert advice like "remember guys, in a stall situation your instincts may tell you to pull up, but what you need to do is push the nose DOWN and gain speed. see, e.g., air france 447."

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I take trains no matter what because of a stupidly crippling fear of flying, and it's become ridiculously annoying. It could be such a great way to travel; it's so much more comfortable and is actually pretty relaxing, but to just get between Chicago and DC it's usually a good 18 [expletive] hours one way. That's absurd. When I started doing it years ago it was cheaper so I could at least justify it that way, but the prices have only gone up and now it's almost always more expensive to take the train and I have to basically plan to use two extra days off for a trip that if we had any kind of proper rail system should take only about 6+ hours.

how bad is the fear?

can you just get hammered before the flight or something? serious question.

I was getting prescriptions for things like Xanax (which I would never need otherwise) or would take a powerful sleeping pill before a long flight and that would at least knock me out, but it just got worse to that point that if I was, say, on a week-long trip it would basically be ruined because all I would do for the week is be stressing out over the the thought of the return flight (nightmares, feeling like I was having a panic attack, constant general anxiety). It finally got so bad that during a vacation in the summer of 2010 I cancelled a flight back to Chicago and took the train after driving back to DC. I've managed to not have to fly since then, but I know inevitably something urgent enough will come up where I can't drive or fly and I'll just have to deal with it again with chemistry (at least on one leg of the trip).

That sucks. My wife flies but she is always freaking out whenever a plane is in the air. I always remind her to look at the people around her as well as the flight attendants. If no one else is freaking out and carrying on like normal, you are probably fine. I also always try to remind her of the analogy that turbulence is basically potholes in the sky. The worst was on a flight back from Arizona when the plane was having the kind of turbulence where the plane would drop suddenly for 1-2 seconds and it would happen 3-4 times a minute. I couldn't calm her down, and it took this random pastor at a church on the south side who was sitting behind her to calm her down by telling her that God still had great plans for him so He won't let the plane crash.

I've actually gone to therapy to try to figure out how I ended up like this; my parents worked for the government and I lived overseas a ton growing up, so I can't even count the number of times I've flown, but this only really started creeping in over the last 10 years or so. It wasn't anything like 9/11; I flew, like, a day after they "opened the sky back up" to get to a friend's wedding, My fear is definitely the idea of the plane basically breaking down/apart due to mechanical failure and I don't really think about terrorists or bombs or the like. Even with medication I need to have a window seat; if I can look out the window and see we're still flying normally I can calm myself down enough. If I can't see outside every little movement or noise gets me panicking inside like the whole [expletive] thing is coming apart or we're spinning out of control.

The only thing I could find in my past was a flight between Chicago and DC in 2003 where we got in turbulence that felt like the hand of an angry god grabbing the plane and just shaking it and trying to throw it from the sky. The flight attendants were strapped in and gripping their seats and looked terrified and the pilot making the announcements sounded REALLY...intense. People were screaming and crying and the only thing that kept me from losing it is we were sitting across from this guy who turned out to be a Marine and he was just as calm as could be. Basically he was this guy:

https://youtu.be/c5WfxwnLlLU

And it's not like I was instantly terrified of flying after that flight, but I think it planted the seed and things just got worse from then on.

Serious idea. Hire a Marine to be your travel companion and help keep you calm.
ImageImage

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:08 pm

i'm laughing my ass off at that clip after reading the story

USSoccer
Superstar

Postby USSoccer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I take trains no matter what because of a stupidly crippling fear of flying, and it's become ridiculously annoying. It could be such a great way to travel; it's so much more comfortable and is actually pretty relaxing, but to just get between Chicago and DC it's usually a good 18 [expletive] hours one way. That's absurd. When I started doing it years ago it was cheaper so I could at least justify it that way, but the prices have only gone up and now it's almost always more expensive to take the train and I have to basically plan to use two extra days off for a trip that if we had any kind of proper rail system should take only about 6+ hours.

how bad is the fear?

can you just get hammered before the flight or something? serious question.

I was getting prescriptions for things like Xanax (which I would never need otherwise) or would take a powerful sleeping pill before a long flight and that would at least knock me out, but it just got worse to that point that if I was, say, on a week-long trip it would basically be ruined because all I would do for the week is be stressing out over the the thought of the return flight (nightmares, feeling like I was having a panic attack, constant general anxiety). It finally got so bad that during a vacation in the summer of 2010 I cancelled a flight back to Chicago and took the train after driving back to DC. I've managed to not have to fly since then, but I know inevitably something urgent enough will come up where I can't drive or fly and I'll just have to deal with it again with chemistry (at least on one leg of the trip).

That sucks. My wife flies but she is always freaking out whenever a plane is in the air. I always remind her to look at the people around her as well as the flight attendants. If no one else is freaking out and carrying on like normal, you are probably fine. I also always try to remind her of the analogy that turbulence is basically potholes in the sky. The worst was on a flight back from Arizona when the plane was having the kind of turbulence where the plane would drop suddenly for 1-2 seconds and it would happen 3-4 times a minute. I couldn't calm her down, and it took this random pastor at a church on the south side who was sitting behind her to calm her down by telling her that God still had great plans for him so He won't let the plane crash.

I've actually gone to therapy to try to figure out how I ended up like this; my parents worked for the government and I lived overseas a ton growing up, so I can't even count the number of times I've flown, but this only really started creeping in over the last 10 years or so. It wasn't anything like 9/11; I flew, like, a day after they "opened the sky back up" to get to a friend's wedding, My fear is definitely the idea of the plane basically breaking down/apart due to mechanical failure and I don't really think about terrorists or bombs or the like. Even with medication I need to have a window seat; if I can look out the window and see we're still flying normally I can calm myself down enough. If I can't see outside every little movement or noise gets me panicking inside like the whole [expletive] thing is coming apart or we're spinning out of control.

The only thing I could find in my past was a flight between Chicago and DC in 2003 where we got in turbulence that felt like the hand of an angry god grabbing the plane and just shaking it and trying to throw it from the sky. The flight attendants were strapped in and gripping their seats and looked terrified and the pilot making the announcements sounded REALLY...intense. People were screaming and crying and the only thing that kept me from losing it is we were sitting across from this guy who turned out to be a Marine and he was just as calm as could be. Basically he was this guy:

And it's not like I was instantly terrified of flying after that flight, but I think it planted the seed and things just got worse from then on.

Yeah, that's me on nearly every flight I've taken, ever.
Jay Cutler - "A Cat" - Jay Cutler is a cat.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:32 pm

glavine93 wrote:
David wrote:that makes two of the scared enough of flying that they opt for trains as a result people who willingly (and seemingly eagerly) watch shows about air disasters.

wtf

i never said i wasn't ghoulish. and now if i'm on a crashing plane, i can provide the pilots with expert advice like "remember guys, in a stall situation your instincts may tell you to pull up, but what you need to do is push the nose DOWN and gain speed. see, e.g., air france 447."

Hahahahah! Yeah, if they want someone to double check to make sure the cargo hatches have been properly shut or that the tail has been properly repaired after a tailstrike, I'm their man.

You earlier advice about turbulence is good, and actually it was what I did to deal with it. Despite me thinking my crazy turbulence experience was what set me off into being terrified of flying, it was less the turbulence itself and more the sudden feeling of, "oh my God, we're in this tiny metal tube hurtling through the sky!" Something about the basic concept just seemed wrong. In the years before I gave up flying I could usually manage turbulence along the lines you were talking about (I just locked on to the idea that plain ol' turbulence knocking a plane out of the sky is one of the most rare type of flying accidents you can think of); ultimately got REALLY bad when just basic ascending or descending had me feeling like I was having a panic attack if I couldn't see out of the window. All I could picture in my head is that something has gone wrong and the plane is now out of control.

cl smooth
Starter

Postby cl smooth » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The only thing I could find in my past was a flight between Chicago and DC in 2003 where we got in turbulence that felt like the hand of an angry god grabbing the plane and just shaking it and trying to throw it from the sky. The flight attendants were strapped in and gripping their seats and looked terrified and the pilot making the announcements sounded REALLY...intense. People were screaming and crying and the only thing that kept me from losing it is we were sitting across from this guy who turned out to be a Marine and he was just as calm as could be. Basically he was this guy:

so while reading this passage, i somehow clicked on someone's kyle schwarber video sig thinking it was the youtube link and got all kinds of confused.

in short, your story is 1000x cooler with schwarbs in it than alec baldwin.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Apparently the Paris airport has been running on Windows 3.1 for 20+ years

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/11/13 ... m=facebook

PosterToBeNamedLater
Starter

Postby PosterToBeNamedLater » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:29 pm

I am not deathly afraid of flying, but I will say I get irrationally scared while the plane is ascending through clouds. It freaks me out a little that we are traveling that fast without any sight of what is ahead. Like there may be another plane in the clouds at the same time that we are just going to smash into. I know that it is crazy, but I grip the seat a bit when going through them.

That said, there was one experience with turbulence that scared me more than anything in my life. We were going through a storm with a lot of turbulence (it was a smaller sized plane)) and there was one moment where the plane felt like it free fell for about 10 feet. Normally I look around for calm people, but the whole plane screamed. The lady next to me was holding a drink and her arms flew up in the air and the drink landed all over us-- her husband was a bit pissed but I was just thankful I wasn't hurling toward my death. I was completely uncomfortable for the rest of that flight.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:36 pm

One time flying into LaGuardia it was storming and we had to to do a few circles waiting to land. While in a turn something happened and the plan went sideways then down. I can remember feeling my body weight hard on my left and then all the sudden I fell hard back into my seat and I could see above the rows in front of me. It was probably like 5 or 10 seconds, but it felt like forever. People were screaming and gasping. When we landed everyone clapped. It was pretty [expletive] up.

I hate that airport.

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:51 pm

Last month I flew for the first time in my life, age 29. Lack of opportunity/money were the only reasons I hadn't to this point, and I actually had very few worries going into it. I was surprised to find out how badly I underestimated a few things and how unsettling they can be. The turbulence was startling but like UMFan said, I looked around and saw most everyone either reading, laughing, or sleeping, and that was enough to calm me down. The biggest thing I underestimated, however, were the drops. Nobody told me a plane ride could feel like a [expletive] rollercoaster at times and well, when a plane suddenly drops 50 meters out of nowhere, it's almost impossible for me not to immediately think engine failure/falling out of the sky.

I also made the mistake of having my first flight be an Allegiant flight in an older, smaller, less-powerful plane over the Rockies, which are apparently some of the most turbulent areas in the continental US. And it was a 3+ hour non-stop.

Oh and of course on the way home the middle-aged woman sitting next to me had to say "oh my, this is a pretty rough takeoff". Screw you, lady.

I'll definitely fly again, but I now feel like I'm a ways away from an anxiety-free flight, if I even get to that point.
I demand dongs. I demand annihilation.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Moving to Chicago probably helped pushed me to giving up flying; landing when the wind is really gusting suuuuuuuuuucks.

Return to “Social”