PLANES ARE MADE OF NIGHTMARES

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

PLANES ARE MADE OF NIGHTMARES

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:29 am

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/11/ ... bing-truth

Over the past decade, nearly all large U.S. airlines have shifted heavy maintenance work on their airplanes to repair shops thousands of miles away, in developing countries, where the mechanics who take the planes apart (completely) and put them back together (or almost) may not even be able to read or speak English. US Airways and Southwest fly planes to a maintenance facility in El Salvador. Delta sends planes to Mexico. United uses a shop in China. American still does much of its most intensive maintenance in-house in the U.S., but that is likely to change in the aftermath of the company’s merger with US Airways.

The airlines are shipping this maintenance work offshore for the reason you’d expect: to cut labor costs. Mechanics in El Salvador, Mexico, China, and elsewhere earn a fraction of what mechanics in the U.S. do. In part because of this offshoring, the number of maintenance jobs at U.S. carriers has plummeted, from 72,000 in the year 2000 to fewer than 50,000 today. But the issue isn’t just jobs. A century ago, Upton Sinclair wrote his novel The Jungle to call attention to the plight of workers in the slaughterhouses, but what really got people upset was learning how unsafe their meat was. Safety is an issue here, too. The Federal Aviation Administration is supposed to be inspecting all the overseas facilities that do maintenance for airlines—just as it is supposed to inspect those in America. But the F.A.A. no longer has the money or the manpower to do this.

Airline mechanics at U.S. airports who perform routine safety checks and maintenance tasks before an airplane takes off report that they are discovering slipshod work done by overseas repair shops. American Airlines mechanics contended in a lawsuit last January that they had been disciplined by management for reporting numerous safety violations they uncovered on airplanes that had recently been serviced in China. Mechanics in Dallas said they had discovered cracked engine pylons, defective doors, and expired oxygen canisters, damage that had simply been painted over, and missing equipment, among other violations. An American spokesperson denied the allegations, contending that the airline’s “maintenance programs, practices, procedures and overall compliance and safety are second to none.” Citing a lack of jurisdiction, a federal judge dismissed the lawsuit. The F.A.A., however, is investigating the allegations.

doublebubble
Starter

Re: PLANES ARE MADE OF NIGHTMARES

Postby doublebubble » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:27 am

my ex roomate was the executive assistant to the President of Allegiant airlines, and she said all of their planes that they purchase are normally well after their recommended decommission date/mileage.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:27 am

I knew I shouldn't open this thread.
Spoiler: show

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:25 am

Tim wrote:I knew I shouldn't open this thread.

same

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:41 am

Tim wrote:I knew I shouldn't open this thread.

The topic really was "Tim bait".

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:45 am

In all seriousness, I'd love to have some better alternatives to flying. For example, if Amtrak had some better route options, and was cheaper, I'd happily take that rather than flying. But right now, for me to take a train from Illinois to Florida, for example, I have to take a train to [expletive] NY first, and then go down the coast. Obviously that's just one example, but I just would really, really like to see trains, especially of the high speed variety, become more of a thing in the US.

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:46 am

Dang. I thought this was going to be about all of the people who experienced rough flights due to crazy weather yesterday. Thanks a lot.
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:54 am

Banedon wrote:In all seriousness, I'd love to have some better alternatives to flying. For example, if Amtrak had some better route options, and was cheaper, I'd happily take that rather than flying. But right now, for me to take a train from Illinois to Florida, for example, I have to take a train to [expletive] NY first, and then go down the coast. Obviously that's just one example, but I just would really, really like to see trains, especially of the high speed variety, become more of a thing in the US.

Elon Musk needs to hustle

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:58 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Banedon wrote:In all seriousness, I'd love to have some better alternatives to flying. For example, if Amtrak had some better route options, and was cheaper, I'd happily take that rather than flying. But right now, for me to take a train from Illinois to Florida, for example, I have to take a train to [expletive] NY first, and then go down the coast. Obviously that's just one example, but I just would really, really like to see trains, especially of the high speed variety, become more of a thing in the US.

Elon Musk needs to hustle

Definitely. And not to get crazy off-topic, but if someone could get on that whole medical nanobot technology while they're at it, I'd really appreciate that.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:38 am

doublebubble wrote:my ex roomate was the executive assistant to the President of Allegiant airlines, and she said all of their planes that they purchase are normally well after their recommended decommission date/mileage.

yeah, no [expletive], it's allegiant.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:41 am

you paranoid weirdos can take all the trains you want. more cheap flights for me.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:42 am

(j/k reading these things is obviously a bit disconcerting)

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:44 am

train travel blows past local routes, and a lot of those blow too. give me all the planes
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:55 am

I take trains no matter what because of a stupidly crippling fear of flying, and it's become ridiculously annoying. It could be such a great way to travel; it's so much more comfortable and is actually pretty relaxing, but to just get between Chicago and DC it's usually a good 18 [expletive] hours one way. That's absurd. When I started doing it years ago it was cheaper so I could at least justify it that way, but the prices have only gone up and now it's almost always more expensive to take the train and I have to basically plan to use two extra days off for a trip that if we had any kind of proper rail system should take only about 6+ hours.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:56 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:train travel blows past local routes, and a lot of those blow too. give me all the planes

It does. I'm saying...I'd like it to not blow.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:00 am

David wrote:(j/k reading these things is obviously a bit disconcerting)

Meh, the statistics are the statistics. If anything airline fatalities have been trending down significantly over the last 15 years or so until a random spike last year.

The planes could be made out of cheese for all I care, as long as I know its statistically very unlikely to kill me.
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:01 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I take trains no matter what because of a stupidly crippling fear of flying, and it's become ridiculously annoying. It could be such a great way to travel; it's so much more comfortable and is actually pretty relaxing, but to just get between Chicago and DC it's usually a good 18 [expletive] hours one way. That's absurd. When I started doing it years ago it was cheaper so I could at least justify it that way, but the prices have only gone up and now it's almost always more expensive to take the train and I have to basically plan to use two extra days off for a trip that if we had any kind of proper rail system should take only about 6+ hours.

how bad is the fear?

can you just get hammered before the flight or something? serious question.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 am

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I take trains no matter what because of a stupidly crippling fear of flying, and it's become ridiculously annoying. It could be such a great way to travel; it's so much more comfortable and is actually pretty relaxing, but to just get between Chicago and DC it's usually a good 18 [expletive] hours one way. That's absurd. When I started doing it years ago it was cheaper so I could at least justify it that way, but the prices have only gone up and now it's almost always more expensive to take the train and I have to basically plan to use two extra days off for a trip that if we had any kind of proper rail system should take only about 6+ hours.

how bad is the fear?

I was getting prescriptions for things like Xanax (which I would never need otherwise) or would take a powerful sleeping pill before a long flight and that would at least knock me out, but it just got worse to that point that if I was, say, on a week-long trip it would basically be ruined because all I would do for the week is be stressing out over the the thought of the return flight (nightmares, feeling like I was having a panic attack, constant general anxiety). It finally got so bad that during a vacation in the summer of 2010 I cancelled a flight back to Chicago and took the train after driving back to DC. I've managed to not have to fly since then, but I know inevitably something urgent enough will come up where I can't drive or fly and I'll just have to deal with it again with chemistry (at least on one leg of the trip).

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 am

UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:(j/k reading these things is obviously a bit disconcerting)

Meh, the statistics are the statistics. If anything airline fatalities have been trending down significantly over the last 15 years or so until a random spike last year.

The planes could be made out of cheese for all I care, as long as I know its statistically very unlikely to kill me.

yeah. this is pretty much it for me.

i couldn't have even told you that about the stats trending that way but i would've guessed it anecdotally.

i've never really had anxiety about flying, other than a hint of worry that wants to creep in when the plane starts making weird noises at takeoff (j/k not really that's just the wheels or something) or when there's turbulence. when there's bad turbulence, if it's bad enough, i can legit freak out a little inside but that's about it.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:08 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:

how bad is the fear?

I was getting prescriptions for things like Xanax (which I would never need otherwise) or would take a powerful sleeping pill before a long flight and that would at least knock me out, but it just got worse to that point that if I was, say, on a week-long trip it would basically be ruined because all I would do for the week is be stressing out over the the thought of the return flight (nightmares, feeling like I was having a panic attack, constant general anxiety). It finally got so bad that during a vacation in the summer of 2010 I cancelled a flight back to Chicago and took the train after driving back to DC. I've managed to not have to fly since then, but I know inevitably something urgent enough will come up where I can't drive or fly and I'll just have to deal with it again with chemistry (at least on one leg of the trip).

damn. i can't even give you crap about this. that sounds awful.

Liam Neeson
Role Player

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:15 am

So you're telling me that on top of possibility of getting shot down by Russians, getting hijacked, gremlins, and accidentally flying through worm holes, I now have to worry about the plane just falling apart because people are trying to save some $$$?

I also almost forgot snakes.

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:20 am

We need a decent high speed rail system like the other civilized nations have.

That said, I really don't mind flying, and the part I do mind is flying coach. I actually enjoy air travel in and of itself.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:20 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:

how bad is the fear?

I thought I was a bad flier, but yeesh.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:20 am

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:28 am

for some reason i do get antsy about going through security

like i hate rushing to do things and that mad dash to take my shoes off, pull my laptop out, pull out all the liquids and crap, and empty my pockets and remove my belt and then do it all over again in reverse for some reason gives me anxiety. once i get that done and my belt and shoes are back on, i feel like i'm home free.

Return to “Social”