Cubs TV Deal Stuff

davell
Superstar

Re: Cubs TV Deal Stuff

Postby davell » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm

Those opt outs are important as [expletive] now.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:06 pm

David wrote:http://www.csnchicago.com/article/cubs-set-massive-year-year-tv-ratings-increases-csn

Remember that one time when WGN didn't want the Cubs anymore because ratings were down?

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:07 am

When I turned on the radio, Mully was talking about the Cubs network and some projections having it worth more than YES network or something...I was assuming he was getting this from some article or blog or something but I didn't hear the beginning of the segment. Anyone else hear it and know what he was talking about?

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Go to the website and listen to the entire segment.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:04 pm

David wrote:When I turned on the radio, Mully was talking about the Cubs network and some projections having it worth more than YES network or something...I was assuming he was getting this from some article or blog or something but I didn't hear the beginning of the segment. Anyone else hear it and know what he was talking about?

No clue where he's getting it from, but nothing crazy about that. The Cubs are basically set up to mean to 21st century baseball what the Yankees meant to 20th century baseball. It'll start sinking in when they sign Otani to a mega deal. Japan is still relatively untouched by the Cubs, but they're up next after Cuba.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:05 pm

Never said it was crazy. I just want to see where he was getting that information so I can read it.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Same here, would like to not sound nuts. I really just assume the Cubs are going to be that franchise.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:33 am

Sounds like the move to 670 is happening

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/10/22/c ... the-score/
Dare to dream....

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:58 am

UMFan83 wrote:Sounds like the move to 670 is happening

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/10/22/c ... the-score/

At this point I figured they were just waiting for the season to end before making any announcement.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:54 pm

http://chicagocubsonline.com/archives/2 ... n-ch-9.php

At any rate, for the 80 CSN games this year, we made an extra 150k per....Thats 12 mill in additional revenue obviously. And instead of opt outs, it looks like this goes up gradually to 750K until 2019.

WGN is undisclosed over their 45 games, but rumors say they're at 500K per, which is doubled. As they were at 250K per. So if that's the case, it's an extra 11.25 mill.

The 25 games from ABC are getting 750K per game. They WERE WGN games at 250K, making us an extra 12.5 per obviously.

So, we've got an extra 24.5 mill we didn't have last year just from the TV deal revenue, NOT even counting WGN, which may very well push it up to 35.75.

Had put this in the wrong thread. David doesn't think the WGN number will be correct, but even if its not......Thats your David Price money right there. Not even counting added attendance or playoff revenue.

At any rate, this explains to me how we could have been in on Moncada when I didn't see how we could afford him at that point.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:35 pm

The score is announcing something big station wise tomorrow.

I'm guessing it's them becoming the cubs radio network.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:36 pm

David wrote:The score is announcing something big station wise tomorrow.

They're switching to smooth jazz.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:43 am

Proven Veteran wrote:

They're switching to smooth jazz.

Christian Rock

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:04 am

Confirmed by Crane on the Score right now.
Dare to dream....

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:12 am

Crane just said they have a surplus of bats, and a shortage of arms, so they'll probably move a bat for an arm.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:15 am

He also just said that they will start their own network in 2020 after the Comcast deal expires.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:14 pm

ESPN is hemorrhaging subscribers
Not a good sign for getting a Dodgers deal in a few years.
We are doomed.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Careless wrote:ESPN is hemorrhaging subscribers
Not a good sign for getting a Dodgers deal in a few years.

They don't need a stupidly insane Dodgers deal to just finally be making a [expletive] ton more money than they had been off of TV. Plus why would ESPN's woes bode poorly for niche sports channels? That's the whole reason outdated cable models like ESPN are slipping; a mish-mash of programming that ultimately has little that each viewer actually wants to watch.

And man, the comments section of that article was unexpectedly nutso bananas; who knew the reason the ESPN was going down the tubes was because they're a bunch of filthy liberal perverts?
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Because if subscribers are falling for cable across the board, which happens to include the preeminent sports channel, you can probably apply the same to a niche sports cable network.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:14 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Because if subscribers are falling for cable across the board, which happens to include the preeminent sports channel, you can probably apply the same to a niche sports cable network.

Well, yeah, but I'm also assuming going forward that the sports aren't going to stick around to stupidly go down with the ship with traditional cable. I'm figuring they'll be pushing hard to shift more to a la carte and online subscription models as opposed to doing [expletive] like they did in the 80's. I mean, they basically have to.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:Because if subscribers are falling for cable across the board, which happens to include the preeminent sports channel, you can probably apply the same to a niche sports cable network.

Well, yeah, but I'm also assuming going forward that the sports aren't going to stick around to stupidly go down with the ship with traditional cable. I'm figuring they'll be pushing hard to shift more to a la carte and online subscription models as opposed to doing [expletive] like they did in the 80's. I mean, they basically have to.

The loss of ESPN subscribers has been faster than the loss of cable/satellite subscribers. People are switching out of packages that include programming they don't want/need. That's going to crush carriage fees if it continues.
We are doomed.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:28 pm

Not that I thought there was a remote chance at a Dodgers type deal, there's definitely not after the Phillies just agreed to a 25 year, 2.5 billion deal to stay with Comcast this year.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:33 pm

The model is force grandma to pay for channels she doesn't watch, that's how the networks profit and why teams get paid big. This is bad, but also expected and inevitable.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:35 pm

Careless wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

The loss of ESPN subscribers has been faster than the loss of cable/satellite subscribers. People are switching out of packages that include programming they don't want/need. That's going to crush carriage fees if it continues.

Good. It was obvious a long-ass time ago the Cubs missed the the brief bubble of obscene TV deals. Move on to whatever's coming next.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:58 pm

The Cubs don't need a Dodger deal or anything close to it to support a very healthy payroll. Even just getting all ~150 games on the reasonable 750k/game rate they get from ABC(and eventually CSN) combined with their other revenue sources should help them support a payroll approaching the luxury tax once the renovations are done and paid for.

I'm also not convinced ESPN national is a great proxy for the elasticity of demand for RSNs. As users get more selective about what content they pay for, RSNs and the hometown team probably rate higher than national channels which, like the article points out, are mostly for events and not any original programming. I get that right now ESPNs and RSNs are pretty tightly linked with how cable is bundled, but we're still 3+ years from the Cubs needing to make their deal, and if you compare cable/streaming options to 2012 it's a very different world.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”