random rants

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: random rants

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:27 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:So now we have a mouse coming into our lanai at night and leaving little droppings all over, including on the stroller seat. So I set traps last night. Now when we were in Cali, one got into our house and I used peanut butter as the bait and it worked fine. This mouse, however, just licked all 4 traps clean and left droppings all over. Im reading online and people are suggesting to use a hot glue gun and cereal; some are suggesting to tie yarn around the bait so that it will have to use force to extract it and that will trigger the trap.

You guys have any success stories to share?

I had mice set up camp in my garage and grill over the winter. Tried the traditional traps with PB and had the same thing happen. They seem to have set up shop elsewhere though as I haven't noticed new droppings, but I never caught one. At my old house a couple years ago I caught them just fine using the old school traps.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:32 pm

When we decided to adopt dog #2 last year, we made it clear that crap HAD to be picked up from our yard on a regular basis. And since I'm the one who consistently forces the issue, the gf's daughter will randomly take pics from various locations of the horsefeathers she picks up. Well the first time she went out after the snow all melted, she had a plastic grocery bag in my Cadillac with a caption that just said "brb, going for a quick drive".
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:44 pm

someone put a bag of horsefeathers in your Cadillac? is your last name Corleone?
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: random rants

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:14 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Few things bugging me lately

Pants or shorts with drawstrings that don't function/fasten and are just for looks.
Back pockets that come sewed shut for some stupid ass reason.
Sprinklers aimed at the street.
Low flow toilets that don't flush a loogey and cause the wife to start a dumb argument. Guess I gotta defeat the purpose and press the "#2" button.
People (neighbors) who leave their dogs outside 80% of the day and let them bark their horsefeathering heads off.
Broken bottles on the sidewalk.
People that don't pick up their dog horsefeathers... on the sidewalk.

I'll stop.

I live next to a bike path and I can't stand when people just let their dogs go right in the middle. Even worse is the people who bring a bag, put the horsefeathers in the bag then drop it on the side of the path or even tie it to a tree branch, yes this happens semi frequently. At least when it's just on the path rain can wash it away, but bagging it then leaving it there means it's going to be there for months. It's like they're going out if their way to be an horsefeathers.
Yeah I've seen bags of horsefeathers on the side but I don't think I've ever seen some tied to a branch. That's freaking disgusting and I hope those people get dysentery.

It does suck when you're deep in your walk/hike and have to bag the poop and transport it with you because there's no disposal area in the vicinity. People just don't want to be seen carrying a bag of horsefeathers and having to smell it along the way, I suppose. But there's gotta be a better way.

Never in my life have I seen a bag of dog poop tied onto a tree branch. Is that really less effort than carrying it to a can? And is there some misguided purpose I’m missing? horsefeathering gross.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:07 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:So now we have a mouse coming into our lanai at night and leaving little droppings all over, including on the stroller seat. So I set traps last night. Now when we were in Cali, one got into our house and I used peanut butter as the bait and it worked fine. This mouse, however, just licked all 4 traps clean and left droppings all over. Im reading online and people are suggesting to use a hot glue gun and cereal; some are suggesting to tie yarn around the bait so that it will have to use force to extract it and that will trigger the trap.

You guys have any success stories to share?

I had mice set up camp in my garage and grill over the winter. Tried the traditional traps with PB and had the same thing happen. They seem to have set up shop elsewhere though as I haven't noticed new droppings, but I never caught one. At my old house a couple years ago I caught them just fine using the old school traps.
Not even 5 minutes after I set the traps I could hear him rustling around out there, but to my dismay, I never heard the snap, and lo and behold, all I did was give him a hearty meal. Little [expletive].
0 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:58 am

NOLA wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:
I live next to a bike path and I can't stand when people just let their dogs go right in the middle. Even worse is the people who bring a bag, put the horsefeathers in the bag then drop it on the side of the path or even tie it to a tree branch, yes this happens semi frequently. At least when it's just on the path rain can wash it away, but bagging it then leaving it there means it's going to be there for months. It's like they're going out if their way to be an horsefeathers.
Yeah I've seen bags of horsefeathers on the side but I don't think I've ever seen some tied to a branch. That's freaking disgusting and I hope those people get dysentery.

It does suck when you're deep in your walk/hike and have to bag the poop and transport it with you because there's no disposal area in the vicinity. People just don't want to be seen carrying a bag of horsefeathers and having to smell it along the way, I suppose. But there's gotta be a better way.

Never in my life have I seen a bag of dog poop tied onto a tree branch. Is that really less effort than carrying it to a can? And is there some misguided purpose I’m missing? horsefeathering gross.

Some of those may be people who will pick it up on their way back and toss it at home or wherever, they just don't want to carry it the whole time. I've seen people do that when they're walking around areas without trashcans like neighborhoods.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:09 pm

My daughter is on a new travel softball team this year, and for some reason the coach has entered them as a B team for summer tournaments even though the team is clearly a C team.

As a result, the girls are getting curb stomped in every game and will get curb stomped all summer. I feel bad for them and it’s the coaches fault. We’ve played three games this weekend and lost 11-1, 15-1 and 17-0
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Derwood wrote:My daughter is on a new travel softball team this year, and for some reason the coach has entered them as a B team for summer tournaments even though the team is clearly a C team.

As a result, the girls are getting curb stomped in every game and will get curb stomped all summer. I feel bad for them and it’s the coaches fault. We’ve played three games this weekend and lost 11-1, 15-1 and 17-0

I feel like being on a hopelessly bad team with no real chance of even being competitive in a game is an experience every child should experience. Lots of lessons learned and empathy gained. ...or bitterness tucked away to unleash at the right moment. All good stuff.
1 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:15 pm

Derwood wrote:My daughter is on a new travel softball team this year, and for some reason the coach has entered them as a B team for summer tournaments even though the team is clearly a C team.

I feel like 3 levels of a travel team is an indication that most kids should really just be playing on a rec league, no travel team. It's crazy how kids teams are travel obsessed verse 20 years ago.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:20 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

I feel like 3 levels of a travel team is an indication that most kids should really just be playing on a rec league, no travel team. It's crazy how kids teams are travel obsessed verse 20 years ago.

The levels are really far apart, though. A 14U A team could beat a 16U B team more often than not.

There are definitely a lot of girls who shouldn’t be playing travel but are because there are so many damn teams.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:21 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:

I feel like being on a hopelessly bad team with no real chance of even being competitive in a game is an experience every child should experience. Lots of lessons learned and empathy gained. ...or bitterness tucked away to unleash at the right moment. All good stuff.

Not sure if serious
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:31 pm

Derwood wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

The levels are really far apart, though. A 14U A team could beat a 16U B team more often than not.

There are definitely a lot of girls who shouldn’t be playing travel but are because there are so many damn teams.

Yea. Rec league is where it's at. Put that thousands of dollars of savings away in a vacation fund lol.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:33 pm

Derwood wrote:

Not sure if serious

A good rule of thumb for my posts is that I'm being 70% serious. This particular post was a good 90%.
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:05 pm

My daughter’s team spent a full year getting beat to the point where the parents often joked that they would never win a game in their lifetimes. 2 years later they were in the world series or whatever. They got 5th place and their losses were to the 2 teams that played for the championship. Both losses were by 1 run.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:01 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:My daughter’s team spent a full year getting beat to the point where the parents often joked that they would never win a game in their lifetimes. 2 years later they were in the world series or whatever. They got 5th place and their losses were to the 2 teams that played for the championship. Both losses were by 1 run.

This team doesn’t have that high of a ceiling
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:57 pm

The cool thing is that the coach is calling for a sac bunt when we’re down 12-0 in the 2nd inning
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:20 pm

So the "gimme my money" act of 2021 was signed into law in March, refunding and refactoring tax liabilities for those who paid unemployment taxes. Since I had filed a couple weeks before that, the IRS said don't you fret, we'll do it automatically and refund your money. Well, it's damn near July and I still have nothing. I should be getting close to $2400.

I'm not starving to death, and my bills are paid, so I shouldn't be so annoyed. But when they say refunds are going out in early May and nobody gets anything until the end of May then the next round was slated to be mid-June and few people are getting them, it kind of pisses me off. Patience is not a strong suit here.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:46 pm

yes, then they can become over-zealous sports parents who ruin the experience for their children and everyone else's trying to live their athletic dreams through their children. Learn about DNA people!
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:17 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:So the "gimme my money" act of 2021 was signed into law in March, refunding and refactoring tax liabilities for those who paid unemployment taxes. Since I had filed a couple weeks before that, the IRS said don't you fret, we'll do it automatically and refund your money. Well, it's damn near July and I still have nothing. I should be getting close to $2400.

I'm not starving to death, and my bills are paid, so I shouldn't be so annoyed. But when they say refunds are going out in early May and nobody gets anything until the end of May then the next round was slated to be mid-June and few people are getting them, it kind of pisses me off. Patience is not a strong suit here.

Here's the better news, you still might have to do an amendment. All the IRS is doing is making the up to $10,200 of unemployment non taxable. They are not adjusting any implications this can have on your your deductions or qualifications for earned income credit, American Opportunity Credit, etc.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Can we please get the IRS some damn funding so they can hire enough people to process tax returns? I have lots of people who filed in February, March, etc. who are still waiting on refunds and it's going to start costing me clients even though it has nothing to do with anything lacking on my end. I don't understand how it takes 5 months to process a return that has no unemployment to change and isn't even itemizing.
0 x

pitchcs
All-Star

Postby pitchcs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:49 pm

Tryptamine wrote:Can we please get the IRS some damn funding so they can hire enough people to process tax returns? I have lots of people who filed in February, March, etc. who are still waiting on refunds and it's going to start costing me clients even though it has nothing to do with anything lacking on my end. I don't understand how it takes 5 months to process a return that has no unemployment to change and isn't even itemizing.

Did those specific clients get PPP money? It seems as though my tax clients who did (ie, own a business) are being delayed longer.
0 x
Cause my life is dope and I do dope horsefeathers.

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:22 pm

pitchcs wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:Can we please get the IRS some damn funding so they can hire enough people to process tax returns? I have lots of people who filed in February, March, etc. who are still waiting on refunds and it's going to start costing me clients even though it has nothing to do with anything lacking on my end. I don't understand how it takes 5 months to process a return that has no unemployment to change and isn't even itemizing.

Did those specific clients get PPP money? It seems as though my tax clients who did (ie, own a business) are being delayed longer.

There are some with schedule Cs and a few with K-1s, but the vast majority are just W-2 workers.
0 x

Return to “Rants”