random rants

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: random rants

Postby Derwood » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:27 pm

Agreed on too much stuff. Moving anywhere (but especially across the country) is the perfect time to purge your life of a ton of useless crap. Paying thousands of dollars to move that stuff that's been sitting in your basement for fifteen years to your new basement seems to be a waste of time and money
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:27 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
BigbadB wrote:The quote to move my crap from California to Illinois (about a semi trailer's worth)

You have too much stuff

Umm, I don't have too much stuff. My wife does. Her mom died while she was in college (away from home), her dad died last November and her only sibling died in January. I'm not telling her she has to get rid of some of her stuff.
But, you are right, we have too much stuff.
1 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:30 pm

Derwood wrote:Agreed on too much stuff. Moving anywhere (but especially across the country) is the perfect time to purge your life of a ton of useless crap. Paying thousands of dollars to move that stuff that's been sitting in your basement for fifteen years to your new basement seems to be a waste of time and money

I don't disagree at all. I just can't tell my wife that given her emotional state. Plus, I'm moving her away from her only two kids and close to MY family. It's a rather delicate situation and I'm walking on egg shells.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:38 pm

BigbadB wrote:
Derwood wrote:Agreed on too much stuff. Moving anywhere (but especially across the country) is the perfect time to purge your life of a ton of useless crap. Paying thousands of dollars to move that stuff that's been sitting in your basement for fifteen years to your new basement seems to be a waste of time and money

I don't disagree at all. I just can't tell my wife that given her emotional state. Plus, I'm moving her away from her only two kids and close to MY family. It's a rather delicate situation and I'm walking on egg shells.

Yikes, you're going to need to buy her more stuff.
9 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:43 pm

BigbadB wrote:The quote to move my crap from California to Illinois (about a semi trailer's worth) was $18,000.00. So then I called Uhaul, and they want almost $6000 for a 26' truck one way. That clearly doesn't include gas, and a 26' truck doesn't get all of my stuff moved in one trip. We also have a vintage Corvette we need to haul, so I'm looking at 3 trips total with a rental truck. I checked on round trip, and they charge per mile for round trip, and it's 1.29 a mile for over $5K and that doesn't include gas, and it's only one trip of 3. I talked to a guy who recently moved to Texas from Cali and Uhaul wanted over $3000 one way to Texas. The same Uhaul back to Cali from Texas was only $380. Crazy, but it says right on their web site that they are charging big rates due to the demand.

So I bought a 26 foot trailer/car hauler for $10K in Chicago. I calculated that between the 3 trips, it will cost a little over $5000 in gas and hotel and I can sell the trailer when I'm done. Take that, MOVING COMPANIES! I refuse to bow to your demands. Of course, it's probably going to take more than 3 weeks of driving and loading/unloading to get everything, but I like to drive. My dad even wants to join me for the first leg, so it should be a memory filled trip.

I swore I was going to pay a moving company to move me from now on since I am getting too old to be moving horsefeathers, but here I am doing it myself once again due to the extreme prices. Ugh!

Let's just hope gas prices go down a bit before all this starts going down on September 20th. I also have to juggle keeping my Sundays free to watch the Bears and driving/loading/unloading.

Doing the drive is one thing I guess, but you should still pay some laborers to help move the actual stuff. You'll probably still come out way ahead from the 18,000 quote and save yourself a lot of lifting.
2 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:29 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
BigbadB wrote:The quote to move my crap from California to Illinois (about a semi trailer's worth) was $18,000.00. So then I called Uhaul, and they want almost $6000 for a 26' truck one way. That clearly doesn't include gas, and a 26' truck doesn't get all of my stuff moved in one trip. We also have a vintage Corvette we need to haul, so I'm looking at 3 trips total with a rental truck. I checked on round trip, and they charge per mile for round trip, and it's 1.29 a mile for over $5K and that doesn't include gas, and it's only one trip of 3. I talked to a guy who recently moved to Texas from Cali and Uhaul wanted over $3000 one way to Texas. The same Uhaul back to Cali from Texas was only $380. Crazy, but it says right on their web site that they are charging big rates due to the demand.

So I bought a 26 foot trailer/car hauler for $10K in Chicago. I calculated that between the 3 trips, it will cost a little over $5000 in gas and hotel and I can sell the trailer when I'm done. Take that, MOVING COMPANIES! I refuse to bow to your demands. Of course, it's probably going to take more than 3 weeks of driving and loading/unloading to get everything, but I like to drive. My dad even wants to join me for the first leg, so it should be a memory filled trip.

I swore I was going to pay a moving company to move me from now on since I am getting too old to be moving horsefeathers, but here I am doing it myself once again due to the extreme prices. Ugh!

Let's just hope gas prices go down a bit before all this starts going down on September 20th. I also have to juggle keeping my Sundays free to watch the Bears and driving/loading/unloading.

Doing the drive is one thing I guess, but you should still pay some laborers to help move the actual stuff. You'll probably still come out way ahead from the 18,000 quote and save yourself a lot of lifting.

I might still do that. My dad is coming along for the first haul, so we will probably be fine on that one. I have most of our "stuff" in a storage unit and I can pull right up to the door. Then we are just unloading into the garage when we get to our destination, and once again, we can pull right up to the door. The next load will probably take some help, and hopefully a stepson will be available. If not, I'll hire a couple of helpers.

I was budgeting on a $10K move, so even with helpers we meet our goal easily, provided we can resell the trailer. Now I just need to see if anyone wants a car hauled to California twice, then I can make a few bucks in the process. Except I don't want to be responsible for someone else's property on my watch. Probably have to stop at all of the truck inspections if I was "for hire" also. So nevermind.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:50 pm

Don't know if this will help or not, but I'm stressed almost to the breaking point. I don't know how to deal with the stress because I don't know the reasons for the stress except for the nebulous, COVID-19 situation, school starting with one of my kids not vaccinated. work stuff due to COVID, and just the feeling that our country is on the brink of some very bad horsefeathers.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:56 pm

CubinNY wrote:Don't know if this will help or not, but I'm stressed almost to the breaking point. I don't know how to deal with the stress because I don't know the reasons for the stress except for the nebulous, COVID-19 situation, school starting with one of my kids not vaccinated. work stuff due to COVID, and just the feeling that our country is on the brink of some very bad horsefeathers.

Have you considered talking with a theraist. Covid alone has been enough to push many people to a bad place. You wouldn't be the only one and maybe talking through it can help.

Good luck.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:14 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Don't know if this will help or not, but I'm stressed almost to the breaking point. I don't know how to deal with the stress because I don't know the reasons for the stress except for the nebulous, COVID-19 situation, school starting with one of my kids not vaccinated. work stuff due to COVID, and just the feeling that our country is on the brink of some very bad horsefeathers.

Have you considered talking with a theraist. Covid alone has been enough to push many people to a bad place. You wouldn't be the only one and maybe talking through it can help.

Good luck.

I see my therapist on Wedsneday
3 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:35 pm

Talking to a professional is excellent advice. I'd also suggest that if there are habits in your life that help with your mental state, even tangentially, prioritizing those can be helpful. For me it's exercise/treadmill time before the day, maybe for others it's taking time to read a good book in silence or cooking good meals. In stressful times sometimes those feel less appealing or more like obligations until we do them, and having that thing that puts you in more control of your mood is a good way to ground yourself when stuff less in your control is a mess.
2 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:23 pm

CubinNY wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Good luck.

I see my therapist on Wedsneday

I think staying off the internet would also be a good idea - breeds anxiety.
1 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:36 pm

Tryptamine wrote:I'll rant on behalf of the employees of this wine shop that I run payroll for. No matter how many hours you work on any given day, tips are split evenly among those people. So if one employee works a 10 hour shift and one works a 4 hour shift, they receive the same portion of tips. On top of this, the owner also takes a portion of their tips. Also, last week a person dropped a $1000 tip on like a $25 order and that was split amongst all bartenders whether they worked that day or not. So one bartender who worked just over 10 hours for the 2 week period is getting over $500 or roughly $50 an hour while the one bartender that worked just over 110 hours is averaging closer to $25 an hour. That poor bartender would actually make more money working 7 days a week, 4 hours a day for a total of 56 hours a pay check instead of logging the 100+ she is now.

So I had a discussion with the owner, who couldn't take a hint when I kept asking them to talk in private, so we talked in front of the employee who was getting screwed. The owner did agree to change their system to a weighted system where if a person works 5 of the total 15 hours worked by 2 employees that day they get 33% of the tips rather than 50% they would have originally gotten, so those who work more are granted a larger portion of the tips. The poor girl who was getting screwed, mean while, was busy apologizing to her boss and saying it was no big deal since the owner gives her all these hours to work. I tried to explain that who cares how many hours you work when your tips weren't based on how many hours you work, but how many other people worked that day, but she still wasn't getting it.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Tryptamine wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:I'll rant on behalf of the employees of this wine shop that I run payroll for. No matter how many hours you work on any given day, tips are split evenly among those people. So if one employee works a 10 hour shift and one works a 4 hour shift, they receive the same portion of tips. On top of this, the owner also takes a portion of their tips. Also, last week a person dropped a $1000 tip on like a $25 order and that was split amongst all bartenders whether they worked that day or not. So one bartender who worked just over 10 hours for the 2 week period is getting over $500 or roughly $50 an hour while the one bartender that worked just over 110 hours is averaging closer to $25 an hour. That poor bartender would actually make more money working 7 days a week, 4 hours a day for a total of 56 hours a pay check instead of logging the 100+ she is now.

So I had a discussion with the owner, who couldn't take a hint when I kept asking them to talk in private, so we talked in front of the employee who was getting screwed. The owner did agree to change their system to a weighted system where if a person works 5 of the total 15 hours worked by 2 employees that day they get 33% of the tips rather than 50% they would have originally gotten, so those who work more are granted a larger portion of the tips. The poor girl who was getting screwed, mean while, was busy apologizing to her boss and saying it was no big deal since the owner gives her all these hours to work. I tried to explain that who cares how many hours you work when your tips weren't based on how many hours you work, but how many other people worked that day, but she still wasn't getting it.

Owner still taking their cut off the top I presume?
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:07 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Owner still taking their cut off the top I presume?

Sadly still gets credited with 8 hours a day worth of tip sharing. I did what I could.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:21 pm

I'm wasting my Saturday in two different, stupid zoom meetings: Colorado-PTSA training workshop, and a Denver Democrats Central committee meeting. #nonhumblebrag The only amusement is how inept all of these boomers are at Zoom meetings. We've been doing this for a year and a half now, and the bumbling and non-sense are still constant.
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:46 pm

CubinNY wrote:We live in a rare, integrated neighborhood in Alabama. It's a nice neighborhood as standards go in Alabama. There is a neighborhood Facebook page. I don't know how many people are on it. There is a Black adolescent male, probably 16-17, who very obviously has developmental disabilities who lives in the neighborhood. He goes on walks frequently. He wears a mask on his walks.

Last night someone posted a picture of him on the Facebook page, asking, "do you know this man. He stares at our kids when they are playing". Then another person posted a video of him walking. Then another person posted the phone number of the non-emergency line for the sheriff's office in case anyone wanted the police to come talk to him. Of course, all these people are White.

I posted that I see him out frequently, that he quite obviously has special needs, and that he is harmless as I've said hello to him several times and he's waved back. I asked the people if they tried to talk to him and I let it be known that the posting offended me. I offered any of them to come to my clinic to learn more about people with special needs. Then the neighbor who posted the video sent back a post saying basically, he's going to do whatever it takes to keep his family safe and if I wasn't willing to keep my kids safe (he named them in the post) they could come live with his family. Obviously, I was quite upset. So I went over to the neighbor's house to talk to him about the special needs child. He went nuts, he spit in my face and pulled a little pistol on me. I left right away.

Can you imagine being the mother or father of the kid with disabilities and reading those posts? If you ever get the opportunity to live in Alabama, don't take it. If you ever think you might want to go to an Alabama beach, go to Florida. The best thing that could happen to Alabama is an earthquake that drops it into the sea.

Addendum to this post, the dude who did this to is named as one of the defendants in the civil suit brought by the capitol police. He was one of the organizers of Stop the Steal. So hopefully he loses everything.
5 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:18 am

CubinNY wrote:
CubinNY wrote:We live in a rare, integrated neighborhood in Alabama. It's a nice neighborhood as standards go in Alabama. There is a neighborhood Facebook page. I don't know how many people are on it. There is a Black adolescent male, probably 16-17, who very obviously has developmental disabilities who lives in the neighborhood. He goes on walks frequently. He wears a mask on his walks.

Last night someone posted a picture of him on the Facebook page, asking, "do you know this man. He stares at our kids when they are playing". Then another person posted a video of him walking. Then another person posted the phone number of the non-emergency line for the sheriff's office in case anyone wanted the police to come talk to him. Of course, all these people are White.

I posted that I see him out frequently, that he quite obviously has special needs, and that he is harmless as I've said hello to him several times and he's waved back. I asked the people if they tried to talk to him and I let it be known that the posting offended me. I offered any of them to come to my clinic to learn more about people with special needs. Then the neighbor who posted the video sent back a post saying basically, he's going to do whatever it takes to keep his family safe and if I wasn't willing to keep my kids safe (he named them in the post) they could come live with his family. Obviously, I was quite upset. So I went over to the neighbor's house to talk to him about the special needs child. He went nuts, he spit in my face and pulled a little pistol on me. I left right away.

Can you imagine being the mother or father of the kid with disabilities and reading those posts? If you ever get the opportunity to live in Alabama, don't take it. If you ever think you might want to go to an Alabama beach, go to Florida. The best thing that could happen to Alabama is an earthquake that drops it into the sea.

Addendum to this post, the dude who did this to is named as one of the defendants in the civil suit brought by the capitol police. He was one of the organizers of Stop the Steal. So hopefully he loses everything.

Man, sorry you have to deal with this horsefeathers, but this is a horsefeathering fantastic twist.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:02 pm

Internet at the house has been out for 48 hours. None of us can do any work or school related stuff without using our phones as hotspots, and even that is dodgy.

AT&T’s response to the outage is, and I quote: “*shrug*”
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Why the F does anyone ever use FedEx? I have never had anything but horrible experiences with them. They consistently deliver a day late, and I now have a package that was on a truck for delivery on Monday that is now "stuck in clearance". I'm in a circular referral from hell where each group I talk to tells me to talk to another group. They're horsefeathering maddening.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Why the F does anyone ever use FedEx? I have never had anything but horrible experiences with them. They consistently deliver a day late, and I now have a package that was on a truck for delivery on Monday that is now "stuck in clearance". I'm in a circular referral from hell where each group I talk to tells me to talk to another group. They're horsefeathering maddening.

It is amazing how in the last 12 months I have gone from having zero preference in delivery companies to audibly groaning when I get shipping notification and see that the vendor uses FedEx.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Lol, my package is now 3 days late, but the status still shows "ON TIME".
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:25 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Lol, my package is now 3 days late, but the status still shows "ON TIME".

Time is just a construct man, so who's to really say what on time means.
0 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:07 pm

I just bought some stuff from the Google store. They unfortunately use Fedex.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘ Maybe the real "Cubs Dynasty" was the friends we made along the way.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Hahahahaha, I just went to the local FedEx facility because it's 15 minutes from my house, and all calls to them take an hour. My package was sent back to Memphis today. They don't know why.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:45 pm

I still don't have my package from last week, and I just now noticed the package sent from another store I was "guaranteed" to have today will be delivered tomorrow. They sent my order in 2 separate packages so I'm curious to see when I get the one that was supposed to arrive tomorrow.
0 x

Return to “Rants”