General Cubs Chit-Chat

Rob
Superstar

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:53 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:Hoyer needs to trade Kimbrel for a solid return before that happens.

I'm sure teams will be lined up to give a "solid return" for a 33 year old reliever who hasn't pitched well since 2018 and is earning $16 million.

Do you know how baseball works?

Yeah, I don't see his contact as being untradable or anything of the sort. 33 is still relatively young in the grand scheme of things, and we can eat money if we need to.

We are also talking about one of the legendary closers in baseball even with his struggles on our team. If he is looking like he has regained his past dominance, teams will be lining up out the door asking for him.

Granted, these trades are harder than they used to be because he actually has to be pitching well. He can't just luck into a good ERA and get that level of interest. The underlying metrics have to match up, his velocity needs to be appropriate, etc... But yeah, if he's pitching well he's extremely tradable.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:Hoyer needs to trade Kimbrel for a solid return before that happens.

I'm sure teams will be lined up to give a "solid return" for a 33 year old reliever who hasn't pitched well since 2018 and is earning $16 million.

Did Ernie Banks ever make 16 MM in one year??
2 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 pm

0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:10 pm

Rob wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Yeah, I don't see his contact as being untradable or anything of the sort. 33 is still relatively young in the grand scheme of things, and we can eat money if we need to.

We are also talking about one of the legendary closers in baseball even with his struggles on our team. If he is looking like he has regained his past dominance, teams will be lining up out the door asking for him.

Granted, these trades are harder than they used to be because he actually has to be pitching well. He can't just luck into a good ERA and get that level of interest. The underlying metrics have to match up, his velocity needs to be appropriate, etc... But yeah, if he's pitching well he's extremely tradable.

I never said he wouldn't be tradeable, but that certainly not the same as receiving a "solid return" for him.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:12 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Rob wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Do you know how baseball works?

I never said he wouldn't be tradeable, but that certainly not the same as receiving a "solid return" for him.

Being extremely tradeable pretty much implies the likelihood of a strong return. It's two ways of saying the same thing. It implies the existence of demand.
Last edited by David on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:13 pm

weis21 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Did Ernie Banks ever make 16 MM in one year??

To answer your question, Banks made a total of $680,000 total over his whole career.
1 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:51 pm

What's up with Friday off days?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:53 pm

stitchface wrote:What's up with Friday off days?

In both cases, rainout buffer since the Thursday game was a home opener.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:44 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Rob wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Do you know how baseball works?

A currently dominating high leverage reliever is going to net a "solid return" or dare I say, an overpay.
1 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:18 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Rob wrote:

A currently dominating high leverage reliever is going to net a "solid return" or dare I say, an overpay.

He has been a "dominating high leverage reliever" for 4 games and 4.2 innings so far this year. If he continues that until the trade deadline, he may draw enough interest for a "solid return". Of course, if he continues to pitch like this, the Cubs might be in a position where they decide they need to keep him.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:49 pm

Apparently the last 2/3 of last year didn't happen. Nor does the predisposition to overvalue an all-time great. But, I'll still read your newsletter with its smrt takes.
2 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:30 pm

For discussion sake, let's say Kimbrel is awesome this season. He provides even more intriguing value to the Cubs or a team at the deadline considering he also can be retained via club option next season for $16 million, which is actually more like $15 million considering there is a $1 million buyout.

If he is really good and they don't get any legit offers, just keep him as your closer for next season. I wouldn't just give him away in that scenario.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:27 pm

I went to the Cubs game on Sunday 4/4 (Easter) vs. the Pirates.

Going into the stadium was very easy. No more "airport security"... Just scan your tickets and walk in (Unless you have a bag I guess). Sat in the upper deck, 327R.

You can mobile order at your seats. I ordered around the 6th inning, but only had the option to pick up from the vendor. Okay, so went to the vendor, and there was a huge line, and only 1 cashier available to take care of the orders. I decided to come back closer to “last call” 7th inning.

Came back in the 7th, and now there were 4-5 lines that were much smaller. Successfully got my food and beer.

Your mobile order is not ready to go when you get to the vendor. They prepare it for you when you get there.

I went to another game Wednesday 4/14… This time sat in the lower deck 212.

Ordered hot dogs and beers to my seats through mobile this time. Didn’t show up for an hour. Went down to fan services who took down my order number for a refund. Apparently, it was a system (and systematic) issue, and many people were also having the problem. The staff was obviously very frustrated. Got a text that my refund had been issued.

Went to the concessions in-person and got food and beer.

About 20 minutes later, my food and beer that I ordered through mobile (to my seats) and already had gotten a refund issued for, was delivered.

Just FYI, if anyone is going to the game, avoid ordering to your seats. Pick it up from the concession. And better yet, don't order until you see the lines at the concessions, and order to the vendor with the shortest ones.

(Although, I'll admit, it was nice getting free food and beers after all the frustration, LOL)
2 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘ Maybe the real "Cubs Dynasty" was the friends we made along the way.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:54 pm

“It looks like we’re all trying to hit the fastball. And we’re not getting the fastball. So that’s the main adjustment that we have to make. If you’re not getting the fastball, just try to look for something else. And then give up one pitch. We can’t go to home plate trying to hit two pitches at one time. It’s one or the other.”

Quote from Contreras after yesterday's game. I'm not a professional baseball player but it seems like a pretty silly reason for struggling doesn't it?
0 x
Win it for Fred

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:08 pm

By Fangraphs' numbers, the Cubs have given up nearly half their playoff odds already. They were at just under 1/4 to open the season, now they're just over 1/8.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Cubs hitting .167/.265/.327/.592 right now. BA and OBP are 30th, SLG is 28th and OPS is 29th.

Cincy scored 30 runs in 3 games against Pittsburgh. Cubs have 26 total runs in 9 games.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:39 pm

If the Cubs had Yu, Schwarber and Caratini - would the Cubs be better?
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:44 pm

d_money wrote:If the Cubs had Yu, Schwarber and Caratini - would the Cubs be better?

Would they be better currently? Yes. Would they have played better? Also probably yes.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:28 pm

squally1313 wrote:
d_money wrote:If the Cubs had Yu, Schwarber and Caratini - would the Cubs be better?

Would they be better currently? Yes. Would they have played better? Also probably yes.

Would they all have Covid? Maybe.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:31 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Give it time, Sogard is still on the loose.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:11 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Well, at least then they'd have an actual excuse.

The way you can tell things are REALLY bad is the Cubs are run by a GM who wasn't smart enough to jump ship like his bro did.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:34 pm

0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:49 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1381720539358760966?s=19

0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:14 pm

Avoiding COVID was the only thing this team was good at and now they can't even do that.
0 x

Guancous
All-Star

Postby Guancous » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:11 pm

0 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”