Kris Bryant is awesome and we were always right to love him

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: Kris Bryant is awesome and we were always right to love him

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:51 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Bryant’s at .283/.380/.617 with a 21% K rate and 13% BB rate so far (71 PAs)...His 10% SwStr is in line with 2017, soft contact the lowest of his career, average EV and barrell rate the highest...Un-horsefeathers-believable that the Ricketts, Redacted (rhymes with Schmizney), and MLB were able to convince the world - so easily - that this guy was toast

I’m encouraged by the start too, but it’s 71 plate appearances.

As long as he’s healthy this is what he is. A very good baseball player. Every stretch of him being bad was always tied to an injury. I want him extended more than anyone.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
KingCubsFan wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Bryant’s at .283/.380/.617 with a 21% K rate and 13% BB rate so far (71 PAs)...His 10% SwStr is in line with 2017, soft contact the lowest of his career, average EV and barrell rate the highest...Un-horsefeathers-believable that the Ricketts, Redacted (rhymes with Schmizney), and MLB were able to convince the world - so easily - that this guy was toast

I’m encouraged by the start too, but it’s 71 plate appearances.

As long as he’s healthy this is what he is. A very good baseball player. Every stretch of him being bad was always tied to an injury. I want him extended more than anyone.

He'll be traded for a couple of 18-year-olds in rookie ball, but it won't be because of money.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 05, 2021 12:53 pm

If it feels like Bryant’s name has appeared on every trade-candidate list for the past couple years, it’s because it has. The 2016 NL MVP has been rumored to be dealt for a couple years, but nearly half of the executives polled believe this is the summer that the Cubs will finally move Bryant, who is in his contract year.

“The Cubs aren’t scared to make big moves,” one NL executive said. “I think they will look to make sure they get value for him before he hits free agency.”

That Bryant is off to a hot start is only fueling the fire when it comes to a potential trade. Chicago off-loaded salary this winter with the trade of Yu Darvish to the Padres and the decision to non-tender Kyle Schwarber, and even if the Cubs are on the fringe of the postseason race, the likelihood of adding salary before the Deadline seems remote.

Given the Cubs’ slow start and salary restraints, an AL executive believes Chicago could be active beyond Bryant between now and July 30, continuing to remake the roster with an eye toward 2022 and beyond.

Following the Cubs' doubleheader sweep of the Dodgers on Tuesday, Bryant led the Majors in doubles (12) and trailed only Ronald Acuña Jr. among the NL leaders in home runs (9), slugging percentage (.699) and OPS (1.102). Bryant's 1.8 fWAR entering Tuesday was also second to only Acuña in the NL.

The 29-year-old’s injury history -- he missed a total of 101 games between 2018-20 -- was cited by two execs as a reason for the Cubs to take advantage of Bryant’s solid start, moving the versatile slugger sooner rather than later.

“His production has been good so far, and he seems healthy,” a second NL exec said. “The Cubs are going to look to move him ASAP.”

ASAP, they say, for the 5th year in a row

They also entertain the Dodgers trading Seager bc they’re totally still a winning team without the starting SS. Baseball really has lost it’s gd mind
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed May 05, 2021 2:06 pm

The Cubs know Bryant isn't going to re-sign with them. Why would he after the way he's been treated?
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed May 05, 2021 2:15 pm

CubinNY wrote:The Cubs know Bryant isn't going to re-sign with them. Why would he after the way he's been treated?

Correction: They know he isn't going to re-sign with them for what they will be willing to offer. I'm confident he would re-sign with them if it was a good one.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Wed May 05, 2021 2:19 pm

CubinNY wrote:The Cubs know Bryant isn't going to re-sign with them. Why would he after the way he's been treated?

We can hope he continues his torrid pace, driving up value. I have no idea what a return would look like but with a hard 7/31 trade deadline (ie no more 8/31 non waiver), this could speed up the process as well as the return. If the Cubs keep him for the remainder of the season and lose him, not sure how valuable the comp pick is vs the return they get in a trade.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:49 pm

I guess it depends on whether you believe what Bryant has said on the matter. It could be posturing but as recently as this spring he's stated a desire to be a Cub for life. Now I'm not naive and realize he can say that and have no desire to return. But I believe he would return at market value but also that he never had any intention of agreeing to a contract before testing FA.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed May 05, 2021 3:58 pm

d_money wrote:

We can hope he continues his torrid pace, driving up value. I have no idea what a return would look like but with a hard 7/31 trade deadline (ie no more 8/31 non waiver), this could speed up the process as well as the return. If the Cubs keep him for the remainder of the season and lose him, not sure how valuable the comp pick is vs the return they get in a trade.

Sadly I wouldn't expect much of a haul now that it's only going to be half a season. Maybe a Many Machado type return. A guy in the bottom third of the top 100, a lottery ticket, an upside guy with injury history and a relief prospect. I'd guess something like a Matt Allen led package if it was the Mets. Francisco Alvarez and Ronny Mauricio would definitely not be on the table.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Wed May 05, 2021 4:04 pm

Tryptamine wrote:
d_money wrote:

Sadly I wouldn't expect much of a haul now that it's only going to be half a season. Maybe a Many Machado type return. A guy in the bottom third of the top 100, a lottery ticket, an upside guy with injury history and a relief prospect. I'd guess something like a Matt Allen led package if it was the Mets. Francisco Alvarez and Ronny Mauricio would definitely not be on the table.

If that’s the case, the Cubs are better off keeping him. On the surface, it’ll give the appearance that they tried to re-sign him in good faith (appearance only). The comp pick will help.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:06 pm

Tryptamine wrote:
d_money wrote:

Yeah I’d expect a Machado return for him more or less. Which was pretty bad. I’d rather just hold on to him and get the comp pick if that’s the best return be see what his market is in FA to maybe re-sign him.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed May 05, 2021 6:03 pm

Machado's the obvious comp. While it hasn't worked out for Baltimore, that was a strong return (on paper) at the time. They got the #4 (#90 in the top 100), #9, #19, and #21 prospects from what was the 10th best farm in baseball coming into the season.

The lesson IMO is "don't assume you can make a good trade with the Dodgers (or Rays)" more than anything.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 05, 2021 6:12 pm

Is it really really a win, on paper or otherwise, to trade one of the handful best players on the planet for 4/90 (on just BP’s top 100) and then even less regarded players?

Win, pay the perennial MVP candidate, and hurry up with Howard and crew down on the farm
2 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu May 06, 2021 4:09 pm

he'll be 30 next opening day and he turned down $200M

love him but i have a hard time seeing a megadeal panning out very well factoring age, recurring injuries, lack of any long-term supporting cast (and self-imposed limited budget)

prob best to let that dream die
2 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:53 pm

sneakypower wrote:he'll be 30 next opening day and he turned down $200M

love him but i have a hard time seeing a megadeal panning out very well factoring age, recurring injuries, lack of any long-term supporting cast (and self-imposed limited budget)

Counterpoint: Every dollar Kris Bryant takes as a member of the Chicago Cubs is a dollar out of Tom Rickett's pocket, and while I agree that it is a very stupid system and yes, his 2026 production will probably not match the amount he is getting paid that year, he deserves that money way more than pretty much anyone else in the world.
2 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu May 06, 2021 5:57 pm

squally1313 wrote:

Counterpoint: Every dollar Kris Bryant takes as a member of the Chicago Cubs is a dollar out of Tom Rickett's pocket, and while I agree that it is a very stupid system and yes, his 2026 production will probably not match the amount he is getting paid that year, he deserves that money way more than pretty much anyone else in the world.

it's not a very compelling counterpoint, given there's a very limited number of dollars PTR lets Jed take out of his pocket
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 06, 2021 6:04 pm

sneakypower wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

it's not a very compelling counterpoint, given there's a very limited number of dollars PTR lets Jed take out of his pocket

Tbf neither is the whole boogity boogity 30 thing or assuming they couldn’t put a team around him based on stuff
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:05 pm

sneakypower wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Honestly, I don’t care. If the choice is a broken down KB or 4 2025 versions of matt Duffy/Eric sogard/etc, give me KB. If his contract is somehow the difference of anything, we’re horsefeathers anyways. Ricketts have ruined most of this team, if they can have to write a check to a ‘bad contract’ while I can get flashbacks to The Good Times, seems like a win win.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 06, 2021 6:16 pm

I'm not going to claim that Bryant will be a great free agent value, but I don't find the 'he reportedly turned down $X so any contract he signs will be catastrophic' logic very compelling. For one, Bryant is far from on pre-arb money now and has been for a while, so the delta compared to say, extending Contreras or even Rizzo is not likely to be severe. Also I don't think anyone can know for sure how the FA market is going to go, but recent trends even without the pandemic are not very friendly to the idea of Bryant getting a mega deal.
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 pm

To put on my 'actual baseball analysis' hat for a minute, KBs injury history, which is lengthy in number but not necessarily in longevity, will inevitably be baked into whatever market value he ends up hitting. In a PTR budget world, isn't he the kind of player we should be banking on anyways? When he's 100% healthy, he rakes. So make a bet on putting together a few healthy seasons and you've got yourself an undervalued player.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu May 06, 2021 8:37 pm

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I think Ricketts just plans to be tallest of the midgets in an otherwise small market division. He should be swinging big market dick going forward, but I doubt he will.

Hell, I'm for locking-up KB if he is willing because even if they don't I'm not convinced all that "savings' will go to actual on-the-field product. Guess I'd rather take my chances on KB being here + the hopes & prayers (ridiculous a big market teams apparently needs such) works than merely the hopes & dreams with no KB. That's my not so deep opinion.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 06, 2021 11:30 pm

Let him hopefully go to a team that has an actual chance, you selfish bastards.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Let him hopefully go to a team that has an actual chance, you selfish bastards.

Any team that's trading for a rental as good as Bryant should certainly be near contention with the hope Bryant will make the difference (which he probably will).
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Let him hopefully go to a team that has an actual chance, you selfish bastards.

I’m still used to saying this about guys who didn’t get a ring with us, but Kris did. So he has to stay forever.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 07, 2021 12:51 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm not going to claim that Bryant will be a great free agent value, but I don't find the 'he reportedly turned down $X so any contract he signs will be catastrophic' logic very compelling. For one, Bryant is far from on pre-arb money now and has been for a while, so the delta compared to say, extending Contreras or even Rizzo is not likely to be severe. Also I don't think anyone can know for sure how the FA market is going to go, but recent trends even without the pandemic are not very friendly to the idea of Bryant getting a mega deal.

This seems like an underrated part of the whole narrative. He's making $19.5 this year, hardly a huge gap between what he'll get in an unfriendly FA market
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri May 07, 2021 12:18 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm not going to claim that Bryant will be a great free agent value, but I don't find the 'he reportedly turned down $X so any contract he signs will be catastrophic' logic very compelling. For one, Bryant is far from on pre-arb money now and has been for a while, so the delta compared to say, extending Contreras or even Rizzo is not likely to be severe. Also I don't think anyone can know for sure how the FA market is going to go, but recent trends even without the pandemic are not very friendly to the idea of Bryant getting a mega deal.

This seems like an underrated part of the whole narrative. He's making $19.5 this year, hardly a huge gap between what he'll get in an unfriendly FA market

He should be able to get a higher average salary for FA, but it won't be for a longer number of years.
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”