General Cubs Chit-Chat

muntjack
All-Star

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby muntjack » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:58 am

Patrick Wisdom hit a homerun tonight and his OPS went down.
0 x

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:40 pm

Spoiler: show
muntjack wrote:Patrick Wisdom hit a homerun tonight and his OPS went down.

It may be a matter of days before he falls flat on his face. But what separates him from the AAAA sluggers of Cubs past is that he's doing it at a time when it actually matters. If nothing else, hopefully the smoke and mirrors are enough to earn him a few million yen on the other side of the pond.
0 x
We won the World Series.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:46 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:

It may be a matter of days before he falls flat on his face. But what separates him from the AAAA sluggers of Cubs past is that he's doing it at a time when it actually matters. If nothing else, hopefully the smoke and mirrors are enough to earn him a few million yen on the other side of the pond.

He's going to K a lot, which is not the kind of hitter you necessarily want to add to this lineup. I think what actually separates him from those other guys is that it seems like he can actually play solid defense. Jake Fox could hit, you just couldn't put him anywhere and he wasn't good enough to be a DH. With Wisdom, you get a 5% chance of a Max Muncy thing, a pretty high likelihood he can be the next Bote (or the Bote we thought we'd be getting), and a decent chance his K rate goes to 40% and he falls into the Fox/Hoffpauer/LaHair category.
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:06 pm

squally1313 wrote:

He's going to K a lot, which is not the kind of hitter you necessarily want to add to this lineup. I think what actually separates him from those other guys is that it seems like he can actually play solid defense. Jake Fox could hit, you just couldn't put him anywhere and he wasn't good enough to be a DH. With Wisdom, you get a 5% chance of a Max Muncy thing, a pretty high likelihood he can be the next Bote (or the Bote we thought we'd be getting), and a decent chance his K rate goes to 40% and he falls into the Fox/Hoffpauer/LaHair category.

Yeah I think this is where I'm at. One of the good things is that this lineup is going to change SUBSTANTIALLY in the next year or so. So while adding a .240/.320/.450 type of hitter might not be the ideal type of hitter for this moment, if he proves to be fairly real it can change how we approach this offseason. Like maybe you're a little less likely to hold on to Javy, so you can alleviate the RH swing and miss in the lineup. But obviously, we need to see a few hundred more PAs before we get too far down the road on thoughts like that.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Bertz wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Yeah I think this is where I'm at. One of the good things is that this lineup is going to change SUBSTANTIALLY in the next year or so. So while adding a .240/.320/.450 type of hitter might not be the ideal type of hitter for this moment, if he proves to be fairly real it can change how we approach this offseason. Like maybe you're a little less likely to hold on to Javy, so you can alleviate the RH swing and miss in the lineup. But obviously, we need to see a few hundred more PAs before we get too far down the road on thoughts like that.

The best thing about Wisdom is he is a former 1st round draft pick of the Cardinals. There must be some slow-acting pixie dust that accidentally got sprinkled on him.
7 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:13 am

I sure would like this team a lot more if Darvish were on the roster.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:57 am

CubinNY wrote:I sure would like this team a lot more if Darvish were on the roster.

Why? He can't even beat the Cubs
2 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:04 pm

someone please photoshop Ricketts and Ross on here, and i nominate it to be the new Dusty/Lou street sweeper image for wins
0 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 pm

I did it but I suck.

That gets deleted in a month, so if its gonna get use you might want to upload it elsewhere.
7 x

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:51 pm

How bad can Jason Heyward play before he just gets permanently benched because I’m way past that point
1 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

muntjack
All-Star

Postby muntjack » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:43 am

His single today probably bought him a month.
0 x

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:42 pm

Are the Cubs Actually Good? I don’t want to get my hopes up too high but we’re a significant chunk into the season and they keep winning, have the best RD by a significant margin in the division. The Fangraphs projections still have them a big underdog in the division for the rest of the season, which annoys me.

It’s too bad they hobbled themselves with the unnecessary payroll shedding in the off season huh.
1 x

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:56 am

BigSlick wrote:Are the Cubs Actually Good? I don’t want to get my hopes up too high but we’re a significant chunk into the season and they keep winning, have the best RD by a significant margin in the division. The Fangraphs projections still have them a big underdog in the division for the rest of the season, which annoys me.

It’s too bad they hobbled themselves with the unnecessary payroll shedding in the off season huh.

I don't care if they are good. They aren't winning the World Series good and if you aren't going to sign Baez or Bryant or Rizzo, trade them all with Kimbrel before July 1. There is good regular season baseball and there is good playoff baseball. Just like when the Cubs beat up on the Mets in 2015 and got hammered in the playoffs because the Mets have better starting pitching.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:15 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:
BigSlick wrote:Are the Cubs Actually Good? I don’t want to get my hopes up too high but we’re a significant chunk into the season and they keep winning, have the best RD by a significant margin in the division. The Fangraphs projections still have them a big underdog in the division for the rest of the season, which annoys me.

I don't care if they are good. They aren't winning the World Series good and if you aren't going to sign Baez or Bryant or Rizzo, trade them all with Kimbrel before July 1. There is good regular season baseball and there is good playoff baseball. Just like when the Cubs beat up on the Mets in 2015 and got hammered in the playoffs because the Mets have better starting pitching.

lol
1 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:24 am

Tim wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

lol

You traded away your best starting pitcher last offseason to start the rebuild. Pick a lane.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:37 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:
Tim wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

lol

You traded away your best starting pitcher last offseason to start the rebuild. Pick a lane.

Letting past decisions influence your current ones is dumb. Since that decision was made, there is a lot of new information about finances, performance, etc.
0 x

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:54 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:

I thought we’ve all learned this isn’t a thing. Didn’t we all learn it wasn’t a thing like 15 years ago? Make the playoffs and take a spin on the Playoff Roulette wheel.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:05 am

BigSlick wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

I thought we’ve all learned this isn’t a thing. Didn’t we all learn it wasn’t a thing like 15 years ago? Make the playoffs and take a spin on the Playoff Roulette wheel.

Yep. We might have much worse chances than the Dodgers or Padres but if you can get in, you have a chance to get hot for 4 weeks and win it all. The 2014 Royals had pretty poor starting pitching but rode the Holland/Davis/Herrera trio and were a legendary Bumgarner performance away from winning the WS.

Plus, in all likelihood, we’d only have to beat one of the Dodgers/Padres in the playoffs since they’ll likely be the 1 seed and a WC team. Just like the Mets got lucky in 2015 only having to face one of the NL Central teams.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:31 pm

BigSlick wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

Who would've guessed that when presented with two small samples of opposing results, it's the one that supports my preconceived notions that's the real one?

Also the Cubs got 12 WAR from Arrieta and Lester in 2015, and the Mets lost to a Royals team that had Chris Young, Edinson Volquez, and Yordano Ventura start 4 of the 5 games.
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:40 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:

this is certainly a take.
2 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:18 pm

BigSlick wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

Of course it could happen. But the chances are slim with a weak rotation that doesn’t throw hard. If you plan on signing the core, go all in. If you aren’t, continue the rebuild and acquire prospects.
0 x

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:14 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:
BigSlick wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

Of course it could happen. But the chances are slim with a weak rotation that doesn’t throw hard. If you plan on signing the core, go all in. If you aren’t, continue the rebuild and acquire prospects.

The chances are slim if you’re the undisputed best team in the league. The playoffs are a crapshoot. Take as many swings at the piñata that you can get.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:18 pm

The post-season tournament in baseball is so unlike the regular season, probably more so than any of the other professional sports. A team can win the WS with two hot pitchers and a little positive variance. Obviously, a stacked team might have better odds of winning, but a Cubs team with Scherzer and Hendricks pitching to their capacity can beat a better team on paper in a seven-game series.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:05 pm

CubinNY wrote:The post-season tournament in baseball is so unlike the regular season, probably more so than any of the other professional sports. A team can win the WS with two hot pitchers and a little positive variance. Obviously, a stacked team might have better odds of winning, but a Cubs team with Scherzer and Hendricks pitching to their capacity can beat a better team on paper in a seven-game series.

Plus we're in an era where really only the top handful of pitchers in baseball should be going more than twice through a line up. I have no idea if our bullpen will stay elite, probably not given the name recognition outside of Kimbrel, but if you're evaluating the team as it stands now, we basically just need our starters to give us 5 solid innings, which Hendricks is more than capable of, Azlolay has shown a lot of potential, Davies has had a great 6 weeks, pick up a starter, tell Jake to throw 96 for 50 pitches, etc, etc, etc. By the time we get to August/September we could have a few more high velocity arms ready to shut down the middle innings and turn it over to the back end. It's not the team we're used to, for sure, but we're here, take the shot.
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:07 am

Luckily, Hoyer won't be forced to make a dumb decision and try to win with this team. By the trading deadline, no one will be clamoring for three starters and the two outfielders needed to make this team a real contender.
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”