General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
User avatar
TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54086
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:47 pm
Location: Perth, W.A.
x 1498
x 2888
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu May 13, 2021 4:00 am

0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 74375
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1643
x 3638

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu May 13, 2021 9:39 pm

8 Yankees are on the COVID list

Sounds like vaccinations are going great
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38888
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1622
x 2225

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Fri May 14, 2021 4:03 am

ermagerd. Congrats on the assault charge, broseph.

0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33660
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1168

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Andy » Fri May 14, 2021 2:06 pm

Derwood wrote:8 Yankees are on the COVID list

Sounds like vaccinations are going great

I don't know which part you're being smart-aleck about, but I believe several if not all of those 8 had been vaccinated. 7 of the 8, last I had read, have no symptoms, and the 8th only mild ones, which of course is the point of getting the vaccine to begin with.
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2795
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 4834
x 1246

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby cl smooth » Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 pm

OleMissCub wrote:ermagerd. Congrats on the assault charge, broseph.



from another angle:

0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7146
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 7332
x 3193

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 14, 2021 6:09 pm

Just read the guy decided not to press charges. ...why does that matter at all?
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63049
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3631
x 13093

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri May 14, 2021 7:16 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Just read the guy decided not to press charges. ...why does that matter at all?

Because he doesn't want it to get out what he said?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7146
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 7332
x 3193

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 14, 2021 7:56 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Just read the guy decided not to press charges. ...why does that matter at all?

Because he doesn't want it to get out what he said?

Well, that would explain why the guy doesn't want to press charges. But it doesn't matter what he said or how the guy who got KO'd feels about it. The Pads fan needs to be charged with assult.
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63049
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3631
x 13093

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri May 14, 2021 8:02 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Just read the guy decided not to press charges. ...why does that matter at all?

Because he doesn't want it to get out what he said?

Well, that would explain why the guy doesn't want to press charges. But it doesn't matter what he said or how the guy who got KO'd feels about it. The Pads fan needs to be charged with assult.

Well I'm no lawyer but somebody choosing not to press charges is a thing that happens all the time
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7146
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 7332
x 3193

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 14, 2021 8:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Because he doesn't want it to get out what he said?

Well, that would explain why the guy doesn't want to press charges. But it doesn't matter what he said or how the guy who got KO'd feels about it. The Pads fan needs to be charged with assult.

Well I'm no lawyer but somebody choosing not to press charges is a thing that happens all the time

Jesus. I'm no lawyer either, but I'm well aware of the fact that someone can go to jail for assult even if the victim isn't pressing charges. If there is evidence and the prosecutor wants to charge the guy, then he gets charged.
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38888
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1622
x 2225

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Sat May 15, 2021 12:42 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Jesus. I'm no lawyer either, but I'm well aware of the fact that someone can go to jail for assult even if the victim isn't pressing charges. If there is evidence and the prosecutor wants to charge the guy, then he gets charged.


As a former prosecutor I guess I should say something. Prosecutors have prosecutorial discretion to prosecute whatever they want but will generally defer to what the victim wants (especially on misdemeanors) unless there is some evidence or feeling that the victim isn’t cooperating for untoward reasons (think battered wives, etc). Padres Bro could definitely still be charged and still might, but it would only be a misdemeanor assault charge and the municipal prosecutors probably have their hands full with other stuff.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12860
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 88
x 260

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby stitchface » Sat May 15, 2021 4:37 am

OleMissCub wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Jesus. I'm no lawyer either, but I'm well aware of the fact that someone can go to jail for assult even if the victim isn't pressing charges. If there is evidence and the prosecutor wants to charge the guy, then he gets charged.


As a former prosecutor I guess I should say something. Prosecutors have prosecutorial discretion to prosecute whatever they want but will generally defer to what the victim wants (especially on misdemeanors) unless there is some evidence or feeling that the victim isn’t cooperating for untoward reasons (think battered wives, etc). Padres Bro could definitely still be charged and still might, but it would only be a misdemeanor assault charge and the municipal prosecutors probably have their hands full with other stuff.


consistent with my experience with padres fans . . . right Tim?
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46465
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 92
x 3092
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Tim » Sat May 15, 2021 2:56 pm

stitchface wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Jesus. I'm no lawyer either, but I'm well aware of the fact that someone can go to jail for assult even if the victim isn't pressing charges. If there is evidence and the prosecutor wants to charge the guy, then he gets charged.


As a former prosecutor I guess I should say something. Prosecutors have prosecutorial discretion to prosecute whatever they want but will generally defer to what the victim wants (especially on misdemeanors) unless there is some evidence or feeling that the victim isn’t cooperating for untoward reasons (think battered wives, etc). Padres Bro could definitely still be charged and still might, but it would only be a misdemeanor assault charge and the municipal prosecutors probably have their hands full with other stuff.


consistent with my experience with padres fans . . . right Tim?

lol - You'd think they'd be laid back!
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5184
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 295
x 1127

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 pm

Pujols to the Dodgers is an odd fit.
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2795
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 4834
x 1246

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby cl smooth » Sun May 16, 2021 1:59 am



Dwight Gooden is 56 years old.
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38888
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1622
x 2225

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Sun May 16, 2021 3:38 pm

cl smooth wrote:https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1393603486781263872

Dwight Gooden is 56 years old.


Image
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85969
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 17034
x 19132

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 16, 2021 3:52 pm

I mean, if someone became a father at age 20...then became a grandfather at 40...and then a great-grandfather at 60...that doesn't seem really all that unbelievable at all? This isn't that far off from that.
0 x

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9328
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 7514
x 1418

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby weis21 » Sun May 16, 2021 4:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, if someone became a father at age 20...then became a grandfather at 40...and then a great-grandfather at 60...that doesn't seem really all that unbelievable at all? This isn't that far off from that.

I think OMC was saying he was just doing the math in his head which is immediately what I was doing. But could be wrong.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85969
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 17034
x 19132

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 16, 2021 4:14 pm

weis21 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, if someone became a father at age 20...then became a grandfather at 40...and then a great-grandfather at 60...that doesn't seem really all that unbelievable at all? This isn't that far off from that.

I think OMC was saying he was just doing the math in his head which is immediately what I was doing. But could be wrong.


Oh, I was just responding to the original post that was seemingly making it sound like it's really weird/nuts/whatever that Gooden could be a great-grandfather at 56.
1 x

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9328
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 7514
x 1418

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby weis21 » Sun May 16, 2021 4:36 pm

Got ya. Yeah I’m sure it’s not normal at all (from statistical standpoint) but it’s not mind blowing.
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38888
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1622
x 2225

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Sun May 16, 2021 5:10 pm

weis21 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, if someone became a father at age 20...then became a grandfather at 40...and then a great-grandfather at 60...that doesn't seem really all that unbelievable at all? This isn't that far off from that.

I think OMC was saying he was just doing the math in his head which is immediately what I was doing. But could be wrong.


Yeah I had to figure out the math. It’s not too complicated. In fact, a 56 year old-ish great grandfather is probably much closer to the norm throughout human history than what we would consider to be the normal age for a great-grandfather.
1 x

User avatar
Splendid Splinter
All-Star
Posts: 2444
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 am
x 9585
x 273

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Splendid Splinter » Mon May 17, 2021 12:31 am

A girl in my class had a grandma that was 33 when she was born. That girl ended up having a kid at age 17 so a great grandmother at age 50. At that time, there was 6 generations of the family alive. The oldest was 83. It was pretty crazy. 17,17,16,17,16 were the ages they had their first kid (all girls).
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20202
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3473
x 1262

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon May 17, 2021 1:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
weis21 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, if someone became a father at age 20...then became a grandfather at 40...and then a great-grandfather at 60...that doesn't seem really all that unbelievable at all? This isn't that far off from that.

I think OMC was saying he was just doing the math in his head which is immediately what I was doing. But could be wrong.


Oh, I was just responding to the original post that was seemingly making it sound like it's really weird/nuts/whatever that Gooden could be a great-grandfather at 56.

I find it extremely weird he is only 56. Seems like forever since he was owning the league in the mid 1980's

With all that has happened in baseball since, it seems eons ago
0 x
Image

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30668
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 48
x 6344
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Brian » Mon May 17, 2021 5:08 pm

Marlins City Connect uniforms



The Cubs versions should be revealed in about 3 weeks.
2 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1327
x 1864

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Bertz » Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Brian wrote:Marlins City Connect uniforms



The Cubs versions should be revealed in about 3 weeks.


I don't like the logo on the hats but those jerseys are sick as hell
0 x


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest