MLB Acknowledges Negro League Numbers

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
MWV
All-Star

MLB Acknowledges Negro League Numbers

Postby MWV » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:29 am

Perhaps this is being discussed somewhere else, but it's finally official, and it deserves its own thread: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/16/negro-leagues-stats-mlb/
1 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Re: MLB Acknowledges Negro League Numbers

Postby UK » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:12 pm

MWV wrote:Perhaps this is being discussed somewhere else, but it's finally official, and it deserves its own thread: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/16/negro-leagues-stats-mlb/

Long overdue.

Josh Gibson deserves the title of the greatest player of all-time.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:46 pm

UK wrote:
MWV wrote:Perhaps this is being discussed somewhere else, but it's finally official, and it deserves its own thread: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/16/negro-leagues-stats-mlb/

Long overdue.

Josh Gibson deserves the title of the greatest player of all-time.

Certainly one of the greatest of all-time, but it's hard to compare different eras without knowing the level of competition, the size of the ballparks, the accuracy of the statistics, etc.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Backtobanks wrote:.... the accuracy of the statistics, etc.

you're right, I'm sure the white dudes keeping stats for the mlb tried to downgrade or belittle the stats of the negro league as much as they could
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:52 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

you're right, I'm sure the white dudes keeping stats for the mlb tried to downgrade or belittle the stats of the negro league as much as they could

It didn't have anything to do with white guys keeping stats.

Negro League stats are considered spotty because they are incomplete, not because the stats were belittled by white people. The reason they are incomplete is because often times they didn't want to pay or couldn't afford an official scorekeeper for their games and also because many of their games weren't covered by the Negro press members. If a member of the press did attend the game, they'd keep their own scorecard and then publish it along with their game report. That's mostly where our Negro League stats come from: newspapers. So finding the statistics are the issue, not people belittling them.
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:15 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

It didn't have anything to do with white guys keeping stats.

Negro League stats are considered spotty because they are incomplete, not because the stats were belittled by white people. The reason they are incomplete is because often times they didn't want to pay or couldn't afford an official scorekeeper for their games and also because many of their games weren't covered by the Negro press members. If a member of the press did attend the game, they'd keep their own scorecard and then publish it along with their game report. That's mostly where our Negro League stats come from: newspapers. So finding the statistics are the issue, not people belittling them.

I know that there could be other factors, but given long running racism in this country I just assume the worse from people. thanks for the explanation
1 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”