TV thread

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: TV thread

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:47 am

The Logan wrote:I know Steve Martin and Martin Short are comedy icons, but they were never my favorite comedic actors because their prime was a slightly before my time and their films weren't family staples growing up. As a result I've always found their more modern appearances to be simply fine. But I'm absolutely loving Only Murders In The Building and think they're both tremendous in it. Four episodes in a wholly invested

This is exactly how I feel about them, and what’s kept me from watching that show. I’ll check it out now
0 x
Win it for Fred

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:26 am

The Logan wrote:I know Steve Martin and Martin Short are comedy icons, but they were never my favorite comedic actors because their prime was a slightly before my time and their films weren't family staples growing up. As a result I've always found their more modern appearances to be simply fine. But I'm absolutely loving Only Murders In The Building and think they're both tremendous in it. Four episodes in a wholly invested

They've never played more interesting or complex characters! The show really is great
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

This is exactly how I feel about them, and what’s kept me from watching that show. I’ll check it out now

Also sold.
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:36 pm

The last few posts make me feel so horsefeathering old.

You whippersnappers, do yourself a favor and:

1. listen to Steve Martin's comedy albums
2. Get your hands on SCTV episodes. For a time they were doing everything differently and better than SNL and Short was a big part of the cast.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:58 pm

I watched the Untold: Crime and Penalties episode about the Danbury Trashers last night, and boy, was that a story. Pretty funny to see a bunch of guys who very clearly do not want to be labeled as rats. I wasn't really familiar with that story as I was pretty checked out on hockey in general with the Blackhawks at their worst and the lockout cancelled season.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:54 pm

CubinNY wrote:The last few posts make me feel so horsefeathering old.

2. Get your hands on SCTV episodes. For a time they were doing everything differently and better than SNL and Short was a big part of the cast.

You mean Clifford and Father of the Bride are not the peaks of Martin Short and Steve Martin's careers?

(BTW I loved Clifford when I was a kid)
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:05 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

You mean Clifford and Father of the Bride are not the peaks of Martin Short and Steve Martin's careers?

I recommend this podcast ep for more Clifford talk

2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:18 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

I recommend this podcast ep for more Clifford talk

The internet is an amazing place
0 x
Win it for Fred

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:42 am

Going to miss Brooklyn 99.
5 x
In Theo we trust.

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I watched the Untold: Crime and Penalties episode about the Danbury Trashers last night, and boy, was that a story. Pretty funny to see a bunch of guys who very clearly do not want to be labeled as rats. I wasn't really familiar with that story as I was pretty checked out on hockey in general with the Blackhawks at their worst and the lockout cancelled season.

Yes it was very good. I had no idea Mike Rupp went to play for them during the canceled season. But like you I checked out of the Blackhawks from like 2003-2007
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:41 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I watched the Untold: Crime and Penalties episode about the Danbury Trashers last night, and boy, was that a story. Pretty funny to see a bunch of guys who very clearly do not want to be labeled as rats.

Tommy "T-Bone" Pomposello nearly stole that episode
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:35 am

soccer10k wrote:Going to miss Brooklyn 99.

As much as, yes, this is true, I also think it was a good time to end it. As much as the cast and writing was awesome and could have kept it barreling forward forever, I do think they explored just about everything they could. It was a good time to end it
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:57 am

This sucks:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... ight-loss/

Locast was ordered to shut down its online TV service forever in a permanent injunction issued yesterday by a federal judge. The order came two weeks after the judge gave major broadcast networks a big victory in their copyright case against Locast, a nonprofit organization that provided online access to broadcast TV stations.

Locast will have to win on appeal in order to stream broadcast channels again. Locast already suspended operations after the September 1 ruling that said it does not qualify for a copyright-law exemption available to nonprofits, so the permanent injunction doesn't change the status quo.

US District Judge Louis Stanton cited a December 2019 agreement between Locast and the networks that limited the scope of the litigation and said a permanent injunction should be entered if the court determines that Locast does not qualify for the copyright-law exemption. The deal did not prohibit Locast "from applying for a stay of the permanent injunction pending appeal, nor to bar the broadcasters from opposing any such stay," the agreement said.

ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC motioned for a permanent injunction after the September 1 ruling. The judge's order yesterday said the defendants "are permanently restrained and enjoined from operating Locast" but that "entry of an injunction will provide opportunity for appeal contemplated by the agreement."

Did anyone else here use the Locast app? It was, IMO, the best and most reliable way to get local OTA channels directly to your TV' streaming device (I used it through Roku). I'm in an area with a ton of construction and government buildings that horsefeathers with the vast majority of OTA receivers short of getting one of the big metal monsters, so it was perfect. Ugh.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:This sucks:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... ight-loss/

Locast was ordered to shut down its online TV service forever in a permanent injunction issued yesterday by a federal judge. The order came two weeks after the judge gave major broadcast networks a big victory in their copyright case against Locast, a nonprofit organization that provided online access to broadcast TV stations.

Locast will have to win on appeal in order to stream broadcast channels again. Locast already suspended operations after the September 1 ruling that said it does not qualify for a copyright-law exemption available to nonprofits, so the permanent injunction doesn't change the status quo.

US District Judge Louis Stanton cited a December 2019 agreement between Locast and the networks that limited the scope of the litigation and said a permanent injunction should be entered if the court determines that Locast does not qualify for the copyright-law exemption. The deal did not prohibit Locast "from applying for a stay of the permanent injunction pending appeal, nor to bar the broadcasters from opposing any such stay," the agreement said.

ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC motioned for a permanent injunction after the September 1 ruling. The judge's order yesterday said the defendants "are permanently restrained and enjoined from operating Locast" but that "entry of an injunction will provide opportunity for appeal contemplated by the agreement."

Did anyone else here use the Locast app? It was, IMO, the best and most reliable way to get local OTA channels directly to your TV' streaming device (I used it through Roku). I'm in an area with a ton of construction and government buildings that horsefeathers with the vast majority of OTA receivers short of getting one of the big metal monsters, so it was perfect. Ugh.

Didn't know it existed but I'd have loved to use it. Wrong time to learn about it....
0 x

bakester
Role Player

Postby bakester » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:49 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Also sold.

Yeah, me too. I was avoiding it. But now looking forward to it.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:41 am

I'm watching the Emmys (I don't know why) and they just keep hilariously shooting themselves in the foot with these awards. They've done a terrific job nominating a wide variety of shows, performers, writers, etc., but they just can't help but give the whitest show of all time (The Crown) every single award. Here's a category with five BIPOC actors and one white actor....and the white actor wins. Rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat.

Emmy's gonna Emmy
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:43 am

There's some horsefeathers not to like about the Wu show on Hulu but I'm sticking it out and loving it now that they're recording 36
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:05 pm

0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:26 am

I thought The Ninth Jedi was horsefeathering great.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:53 am

The relentless positivity of Ted Lasso is insane. Great show too
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:40 pm

It’s pretty cool that the Tony Awards moved to Paramount+ and then it isn’t working on any platform.

Nice job, numb nuts
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:47 pm

If the Tony awards had any pride they’d never be televised
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:47 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:If the Tony awards had any pride they’d never be televised

Boo to this
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:32 am

I have yet to meet a Tony I like anyway.
0 x

squally1313
5-Time All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Alright TV nerds of NSBB. Just moved into a new house, want to upgrade from the 50 inch I've been rocking for the last 10 years or so. Does not need to be anything fancy at all...was hoping to spend like $500-$600. Just something that will look cool on the wall for sports, the occasional movie, and then HGTV and whatever my 2 year is into in a given week. Wall mounts are already in place, already have a decent JBL soundbar/subwoofer. Will look back through this thread, but I know we like to rehash conversations and I trust you guys way more than doing my own research.
0 x

Return to “Social”