Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

User avatar
Old Style
Superstar
Posts: 10111
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 6360
x 754

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:26 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Dude, I have never had a job where there WEREN'T insanely, explicitly incompetent people who had held onto their jobs, and were rising up the ranks for years or even decades. horsefeathers, on any given day I'm probably one of them.

I'm not saying you're wrong that it could have been malicious...I'm just saying that it's also incredibly likely that a cop is simply terrible at their job, regardless of their tenure.

It's a real "why not both?" situation that makes me want to jump off of a building.

Someone being incompetent yet rising up the corporate ladder from whatever dumb reason doesn't put lives at risk. It's not a good comparison.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62940
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3581
x 12959

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Dude, I have never had a job where there WEREN'T insanely, explicitly incompetent people who had held onto their jobs, and were rising up the ranks for years or even decades. horsefeathers, on any given day I'm probably one of them.

I'm not saying you're wrong that it could have been malicious...I'm just saying that it's also incredibly likely that a cop is simply terrible at their job, regardless of their tenure.

It's a real "why not both?" situation that makes me want to jump off of a building.

Someone being incompetent yet rising up the corporate ladder from whatever dumb reason doesn't put lives at risk. It's not a good comparison.

Corporations kill people in a variety of manners.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38827
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1606
x 2210

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 pm

Old Style wrote:
Soul wrote:I don’t get it. The “taser” is in her hands for a decent amount of time and she doesn’t notice the difference in grip, weight, etc.

The more I go over the details in my head the more I'm convinced she knew EXACTLY what she was doing and was actively working in the moment to give herself an alibi since she knew her body camera was on. There is no way someone with her experience thought she had a taser in her hands. NONE!


Ehh, I dunno. Saying she knew EXACTLY what she was doing is ascribing malicious intent onto her actions. That whole confrontation is only like 10 seconds long. To think she had time to think "I'm gonna shoot this dude with my pistol but I'm gonna yell 'I'll tase ya' and 'taser! taser! taser!' before I pull the trigger of my pistol and that way maybe I can get away with killing this guy" is giving her, or anyone, way too much credit. I think the fact that the pistol flew out of her hand when she pulled the trigger is good evidence that she actually thought she was firing a taser. The recoil on a taser firing is negligible but for a .40 cal pistol it's pretty significant, which is why she lost her grip when it discharged.

She just seems like someone who, despite "experience", had NO BUSINESS being a patrol officer. Is there any indication that was actually a patrol officer for all those years?

As Mojo said, I doubt this was a malicious action by the cop. It just seems like what we are dealing with here is a cop who was WOEFULLY UNFIT for her job and it cost a kid his life.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62940
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3581
x 12959

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:34 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Old Style wrote:
Soul wrote:I don’t get it. The “taser” is in her hands for a decent amount of time and she doesn’t notice the difference in grip, weight, etc.

The more I go over the details in my head the more I'm convinced she knew EXACTLY what she was doing and was actively working in the moment to give herself an alibi since she knew her body camera was on. There is no way someone with her experience thought she had a taser in her hands. NONE!


Ehh, I dunno. Saying she knew EXACTLY what she was doing is ascribing malicious intent onto her actions. That whole confrontation is only like 10 seconds long. To think she had time to think "I'm gonna shoot this dude with my pistol but I'm gonna yell 'I'll tase ya' and 'taser! taser! taser!' before I pull the trigger of my pistol and that way maybe I can get away with killing this guy" is giving her, or anyone, way too much credit. I think the fact that the pistol flew out of her hand when she pulled the trigger is good evidence that she actually thought she was firing a taser. The recoil on a taser firing is negligible but for a .40 cal pistol it's pretty significant, which is why she lost her grip when it discharged.

She just seems like someone who, despite "experience", had NO BUSINESS being a patrol officer. Is there any indication that was actually a patrol officer for all those years?

As Mojo said, I doubt this was a malicious action by the cop. It just seems like what we are dealing with here is a cop who was WOEFULLY UNFIT for her job and it cost a kid his life.

Was she not the president of the union?

I think you are grossly exaggerating what constitutes a competent cop. Every force in the nation is filled with angry white people with questionable skills and brains who are considered fit for the role.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38827
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1606
x 2210

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:45 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Was she not the president of the union?

I think you are grossly exaggerating what constitutes a competent cop. Every force in the nation is filled with angry white people with questionable skills and brains who are considered fit for the role.


You're talking to a criminal defense attorney here. I spend my life dealing with stupid cops. They're almost exclusively bullies and/or people who have short dick syndrome. Jerks that they are, I don't think it's grossly exaggerating their competency to suggest that the average cop knows the difference in their service sidearm and a their taser.

Also, something else I just noticed watching this video. The first cop who pulls him out of the car also seems to have some level of incompetency. I watch multiple arrest videos a week for clients and when cops arrest someone next to a vehicle they always take them to the trunk area. I assume it's to keep the arrestee from being able to slide back into their car so quickly like he did.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85639
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16797
x 18895

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:54 pm

Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Dude, I have never had a job where there WEREN'T insanely, explicitly incompetent people who had held onto their jobs, and were rising up the ranks for years or even decades. horsefeathers, on any given day I'm probably one of them.

I'm not saying you're wrong that it could have been malicious...I'm just saying that it's also incredibly likely that a cop is simply terrible at their job, regardless of their tenure.

It's a real "why not both?" situation that makes me want to jump off of a building.

Someone being incompetent yet rising up the corporate ladder from whatever dumb reason doesn't put lives at risk. It's not a good comparison.


OK? I'm not using to try and make an excuse for her. I'm saying that it's not necessarily something we need to assume is intentional because massively incompetent/unqualified cops are everywhere. That's an indictment, not a defense.

Personally, I think her thinking she could get away with it by yelling "TASER!" is giving her too much credit precisely because of how incompetent so many cops are.
1 x

User avatar
Old Style
Superstar
Posts: 10111
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 6360
x 754

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Dude, I have never had a job where there WEREN'T insanely, explicitly incompetent people who had held onto their jobs, and were rising up the ranks for years or even decades. horsefeathers, on any given day I'm probably one of them.

I'm not saying you're wrong that it could have been malicious...I'm just saying that it's also incredibly likely that a cop is simply terrible at their job, regardless of their tenure.

It's a real "why not both?" situation that makes me want to jump off of a building.

Someone being incompetent yet rising up the corporate ladder from whatever dumb reason doesn't put lives at risk. It's not a good comparison.


OK? I'm not using to try and make an excuse for her. I'm saying that it's not necessarily something we need to assume is intentional because massively incompetent/unqualified cops are everywhere. That's an indictment, not a defense.

Personally, I think her thinking she could get away with it by yelling "TASER!" is giving her too much credit precisely because of how incompetent so many cops are.

Maybe I'm wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time. But I just can't believe that anyone, no matter how incompetent they are, can make that mistake. There are numerous significant differences between the two including a large weight difference and they are carried on opposite sides of your body. I'd have a hard time believing a rookie cop could make that mistake let alone a veteran of nearly 3 decades.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38827
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1606
x 2210

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:14 pm

Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Old Style wrote:Someone being incompetent yet rising up the corporate ladder from whatever dumb reason doesn't put lives at risk. It's not a good comparison.


OK? I'm not using to try and make an excuse for her. I'm saying that it's not necessarily something we need to assume is intentional because massively incompetent/unqualified cops are everywhere. That's an indictment, not a defense.

Personally, I think her thinking she could get away with it by yelling "TASER!" is giving her too much credit precisely because of how incompetent so many cops are.

Maybe I'm wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time. But I just can't believe that anyone, no matter how incompetent they are, can make that mistake. There are numerous significant differences between the two including a large weight difference and they are carried on opposite sides of your body. I'd have a hard time believing a rookie cop could make that mistake let alone a veteran of nearly 3 decades.


But what's the alternative to it being gross incompetence? With all that's going on culturally in America involving police and all the scrutiny they are under, you're thinking that a veteran of nearly 3 decades is like "yep, today's the day I get to shoot someone but if I'm going to pull this off I need to pretend like I'm actually trying to tase him." And she came up with this scheme in less than 10 seconds?
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15636
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3729
x 2071

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:20 pm

She's incompetent but also things are stressful in the heat of the moment.

Which is why the "don't resist" crew can go shove it.
0 x
Image

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33666
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3513
x 7944
Contact:

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:39 pm

i mean just use occams razor. you think, in the climate we're in now, amid a murder trial in the same location where a cop is facing life in prison for killing a civilian, that someone thought "you know what would be good to do, to secretly murder a random unarmed black man for no reason and then pretend I thought I had my taser out. It would be fun to be on trial."

It makes no sense. Our society has venerated cops for so long that most people can't fathom that most of them are dumb as horsefeathers.
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Old Style
Superstar
Posts: 10111
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 6360
x 754

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:47 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
OK? I'm not using to try and make an excuse for her. I'm saying that it's not necessarily something we need to assume is intentional because massively incompetent/unqualified cops are everywhere. That's an indictment, not a defense.

Personally, I think her thinking she could get away with it by yelling "TASER!" is giving her too much credit precisely because of how incompetent so many cops are.

Maybe I'm wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time. But I just can't believe that anyone, no matter how incompetent they are, can make that mistake. There are numerous significant differences between the two including a large weight difference and they are carried on opposite sides of your body. I'd have a hard time believing a rookie cop could make that mistake let alone a veteran of nearly 3 decades.


But what's the alternative to it being gross incompetence? With all that's going on culturally in America involving police and all the scrutiny they are under, you're thinking that a veteran of nearly 3 decades is like "yep, today's the day I get to shoot someone but if I'm going to pull this off I need to pretend like I'm actually trying to tase him." And she came up with this scheme in less than 10 seconds?

It makes more sense to me that she was pissed off about something else and/or sick of hearing ACAB and let her anger get the best of her than it does that she somehow didn't realize that she had a gun in her hand and not a taser. It would be one thing if they weighed the same, were carried on the same side of the body, and felt the same in your hands. Again, she was a cop for 28 horsefeathering years. She wasn't just out of the academy.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
Old Style
Superstar
Posts: 10111
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 6360
x 754

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:00 pm

0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
CoolHandLuke
All-Star
Posts: 4481
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Mount Prospect
x 330
x 370

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby CoolHandLuke » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:03 pm

How often does the average cop draw their service weapon? Is it possible that she just hasn't had to do it in years or ever?
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 36114
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1127
x 8079

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:12 pm

0 x
Image

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38827
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1606
x 2210

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:17 pm

Old Style wrote:It makes more sense to me that she was pissed off about something else and/or sick of hearing ACAB and let her anger get the best of her than it does that she somehow didn't realize that she had a gun in her hand and not a taser. It would be one thing if they weighed the same, were carried on the same side of the body, and felt the same in your hands. Again, she was a cop for 28 horsefeathering years. She wasn't just out of the academy.


But what makes you think she was pissed or angry about anything? She wasn't even the arresting officer, but was basically just standing there observing when he wrestled away and got back in the car and then, sounding like Marge Gunderson, says "I'll tase ya!".

I think you're trying too hard to find motivation for this woman being panicked and incompetent to the point that she thought a pistol was a taser.
0 x

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 12180
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: we stinks
x 820
x 1557

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby sneakypower » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:18 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:a murder trial in the same location where a cop is facing life in prison for killing a civilian

Image
5 x

User avatar
Old Style
Superstar
Posts: 10111
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 6360
x 754

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:25 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Old Style wrote:It makes more sense to me that she was pissed off about something else and/or sick of hearing ACAB and let her anger get the best of her than it does that she somehow didn't realize that she had a gun in her hand and not a taser. It would be one thing if they weighed the same, were carried on the same side of the body, and felt the same in your hands. Again, she was a cop for 28 horsefeathering years. She wasn't just out of the academy.


But what makes you think she was pissed or angry about anything? She wasn't even the arresting officer, but was basically just standing there observing when he wrestled away and got back in the car and then, sounding like Marge Gunderson, says "I'll tase ya!".

I think you're trying too hard to find motivation for this woman being panicked and incompetent to the point that she thought a pistol was a taser.

I'm not trying to "find motivation" but admittedly I may be way off track here. I have no doubt that most cops are not competent enough to do their job properly but it's just extremely hard to fathom how someone who's been on the job that long can be THAT horsefeathering incompetent. It's not a garden variety "oops I did something wrong" mistake.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21298
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 225
x 699

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby UK » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:34 pm

Old Style wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Old Style wrote:It makes more sense to me that she was pissed off about something else and/or sick of hearing ACAB and let her anger get the best of her than it does that she somehow didn't realize that she had a gun in her hand and not a taser. It would be one thing if they weighed the same, were carried on the same side of the body, and felt the same in your hands. Again, she was a cop for 28 horsefeathering years. She wasn't just out of the academy.


But what makes you think she was pissed or angry about anything? She wasn't even the arresting officer, but was basically just standing there observing when he wrestled away and got back in the car and then, sounding like Marge Gunderson, says "I'll tase ya!".

I think you're trying too hard to find motivation for this woman being panicked and incompetent to the point that she thought a pistol was a taser.

I'm not trying to "find motivation" but admittedly I may be way off track here. I have no doubt that most cops are not competent enough to do their job properly but it's just extremely hard to fathom how someone who's been on the job that long can be THAT horsefeathering incompetent. It's not a garden variety "oops I did something wrong" mistake.


Incompetency with the backing of a strong union is greater job security than a productive worker in a standard work environment.
1 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38827
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1606
x 2210

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Old Style wrote:I'm not trying to "find motivation" but admittedly I may be way off track here. I have no doubt that most cops are not competent enough to do their job properly but it's just extremely hard to fathom how someone who's been on the job that long can be THAT horsefeathering incompetent. It's not a garden variety "oops I did something wrong" mistake.


I don't think we know enough about her at this point. Maybe the information is out there, but maybe she wasn't a patrol officer for that entire time. Maybe she worked in dispatch for 25 years and then wanted to go into the field? I think there's also the possibility that she's never been in a situation like that and she panicked.

Although as UK just pointed out, maybe she has fvcked up many times before and she got to keep her job because of the Union.
1 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68912
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 7420
x 7247

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Banedon » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:48 pm

Just spitballing here, but it sure seems like it'd be a good idea to not design a taser to feel anywhere remotely similar to a gun.
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 36114
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1127
x 8079

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:11 pm

Oh horsefeathers, I thought I read she was 26 years old, not a 26 year veteran.
0 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24406
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 567
x 1195

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby CubinNY » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:55 pm

Banedon wrote:Just spitballing here, but it sure seems like it'd be a good idea to not design a taser to feel anywhere remotely similar to a gun.

Or stop giving cops guns so they can kill people. If they have the means to kill people they will kill people. If they don't they will find other solutions to problems.
1 x

User avatar
Old Style
Superstar
Posts: 10111
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 6360
x 754

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby Old Style » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:59 pm

Banedon wrote:Just spitballing here, but it sure seems like it'd be a good idea to not design a taser to feel anywhere remotely similar to a gun.

But they don't now.

Image
2 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10960
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 555
x 5170

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:23 pm

0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10960
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 555
x 5170

Re: Guess what an idiot with a badge did this time...

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:03 pm

Image
2 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CoBleacherBum and 3 guests