Licks Butts

Re: General Chit-Chat thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:25 am

3 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:07 pm

Absolutely beautiful day today, so I tell me wife we should grill out for dinner. We have some hotdogs on hand, so that's what we decide on. But we need pickles. My wife goes to Jewel and apparently covid is somehow creating some national shortage of Clausen dill pickles?!?! She asked at the store and multiple employees said they haven't had it in weeks.

Wtf?

So she ended up with some farmstand type dill pickle and holy hell these are some bland pickles.

GIVE ME BACK MY GOOD PICKLES
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:50 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Absolutely beautiful day today, so I tell me wife we should grill out for dinner. We have some hotdogs on hand, so that's what we decide on. But we need pickles. My wife goes to Jewel and apparently covid is somehow creating some national shortage of Clausen dill pickles?!?! She asked at the store and multiple employees said they haven't had it in weeks.

Wtf?

So she ended up with some farmstand type dill pickle and holy hell these are some bland pickles.

GIVE ME BACK MY GOOD PICKLES

My family goes through a jar of pickles a week, and yeah, we were well aware of the clausen issue, since its our favorite brand. It seems to come and go. Most frustrating is that they se to vary what they have. Sometimes it's wholes, sometimes spears. When they don't have clausen, I have found vienna beef pickles work in a pinch. Won't touch vlasic.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:50 am

Just make your own refrigerator style dill pickle (not the true fermented one as that takes days/weeks to make) next time. It only takes like 30 mins, super easy to make, and it's ready to go in 24 hrs although I would wait a few days. So much better IMO.

It's pretty expensive, but McClure's makes some great pickles as well.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:14 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:Just make your own refrigerator style dill pickle (not the true fermented one as that takes days/weeks to make) next time. It only takes like 30 mins, super easy to make, and it's ready to go in 24 hrs although I would wait a few days. So much better IMO.

Got any recommended recipes?
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:47 am

Thurman Merman wrote:
Splendid Splinter wrote:Just make your own refrigerator style dill pickle (not the true fermented one as that takes days/weeks to make) next time. It only takes like 30 mins, super easy to make, and it's ready to go in 24 hrs although I would wait a few days. So much better IMO.

Got any recommended recipes?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/eas ... e-pickles/

This is what I've used to start off although I cut the sugar in half with this recipe as I like the salty/vinegar bite to my pickle over the more sweeter ones. This recipe is pretty typical for most of the quick or "refrigerator" style pickling.

After you make this first batch, you can decide what it's missing and adjust the recipe for the next batch. You can play around with the spices or herbs or chilies although I would recommend to start small doses at first. Might take a couple tries to get it exactly how you want it. I got it on the 5th batch for me.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:47 pm

buy bubbies
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:04 pm

17 Seconds wrote:https://twitter.com/WISN12News/status/1358861599327612930

I have a dream where this happens about once a month.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:27 pm

I guess we can expect some shipping delays

0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:50 pm

Am I the only one who can't not think of the UK Office whenever I hear about the Suez Canal?
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:29 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:buy bubbies

if you're in florida, buy chill dill (my brother's pickle company)
3 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:36 am

3 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:32 pm

17 Seconds wrote:

Now THAT'S a pickle name. Claussen? Vlasic? I don't care if those are family names; they suck as pickle names, and the second one sounds like some kind of painful medical condition! And Mt. Olive? That's a totally different [expletive] food.

But Chill Dill? Finally, a pickle name we can all get behind.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

Now THAT'S a pickle name. Claussen? Vlasic? I don't care if those are family names; they suck as pickle names, and the second one sounds like some kind of painful medical condition! And Mt. Olive? That's a totally different [expletive] food.

Cool names are cool, but Claussen could change their name to 'Green Sour Turds' and they'd still be my pickle of choice.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

what if "chill dill"s were really just severed penises in a jar? would you still say this????? WHERES YOUR PICKLE GOD NOW!!!???
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:53 pm

What if any food was just severed penises.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:04 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:What if any food was just severed penises.

Should I talk about the (multiple) times I’ve eaten Bull Penis in this thread or the Food Monstrosities thread?
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:What if any food was just severed penises.

Should I talk about the (multiple) times I’ve eaten Bull Penis in this thread or the Food Monstrosities thread?

No
4 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:22 pm

17 Seconds wrote:

Too bad it's in FL because I would def try them out. Especially that ghost pepper pickle!
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:05 am

I may have talked about some of this at some point, but for those unfamiliar...

I was kinda a trainwreck when I joined this board nearly 20 years ago. Due to some mental health issues, I was bombing my initial foray into college. Ended up a drunken dropout crashing on my parents couch. It wasn't pretty.

Eventually I started to pull it together. Got a dog, got a job as a realtor, met a girl, got married, etc... Shortly after the wedding I went back to university to finally get that bachelors degree. It was tough -- I was still working 60+ hours per week while taking a full-time course load. And then we got pregnant and it got even harder. But I graduated in Spring 2019. Lately I've been working at the public defenders office doing grunt work just for the experience and connections. And it finally paid off.

I'm happy to announce that I've been accepted into law school. Better yet, I've received a scholarship offer that actually makes the whole thing feasible. I'm still waiting on a few other applications to resolve before I can determine where I'm going -- but I can confidently say now that I'll be in law school come this fall. I couldn't be more thrilled.

I'll be nearly 40 by the time I graduate, but I don't care. The way I see it, I can be 40 and without a law degree, or I can be 40 and have a law degree. The time will pass regardless. So I might as well make use of it. Wish me luck!
25 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm

When did Treebeard start working for Defector?

https://defector.com/big-boat-stuck-a-story/
3 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:31 pm

Rob wrote:I may have talked about some of this at some point, but for those unfamiliar...

I was kinda a trainwreck when I joined this board nearly 20 years ago. Due to some mental health issues, I was bombing my initial foray into college. Ended up a drunken dropout crashing on my parents couch. It wasn't pretty.

Eventually I started to pull it together. Got a dog, got a job as a realtor, met a girl, got married, etc... Shortly after the wedding I went back to university to finally get that bachelors degree. It was tough -- I was still working 60+ hours per week while taking a full-time course load. And then we got pregnant and it got even harder. But I graduated in Spring 2019. Lately I've been working at the public defenders office doing grunt work just for the experience and connections. And it finally paid off.

I'm happy to announce that I've been accepted into law school. Better yet, I've received a scholarship offer that actually makes the whole thing feasible. I'm still waiting on a few other applications to resolve before I can determine where I'm going -- but I can confidently say now that I'll be in law school come this fall. I couldn't be more thrilled.

I'll be nearly 40 by the time I graduate, but I don't care. The way I see it, I can be 40 and without a law degree, or I can be 40 and have a law degree. The time will pass regardless. So I might as well make use of it. Wish me luck!

That is fantastic! Congratulations and good luck!
1 x
Spoiler: show

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:43 pm

Rob wrote:I may have talked about some of this at some point, but for those unfamiliar...

Bad ass dude. It's hard to believe it's been nearly 20 years for some of us. that's remarkable.
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm

\:D/ :clapping:
Congrats dude
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 pm

We all take different paths, congrats Rob!!
1 x

Return to “Social”