CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

bukie
Superstar

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby bukie » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:49 pm

Bertz wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Chicago is being specifically weird about it. All of Illinois, outside of Chicago, age 16 and up is eligible starting April 12. If you're referring to younger than 16, the vaccines haven't been approved for them at all anywhere as far as I'm aware.

No, wasn't talking about younger than 16. I know the rest of IL is April 12, but even that seems pretty delayed compared to seeing all these announcements about how it's open currently or opening next week or whatever. Like I said above, I may have just seen the quarter of states of are open/close to open and assumed we were way behind everyone. But May 31 for Chicago is absurd.

IMO it's like 60% Chicago trying to be good about distributing these things equitably, and 40% Lightfoot being a horsefeathers.

It's 100% that Chicago is already booked out 5 weeks ahead for vaccine appointments and nobody is missing appointments. Demand is outpacing supply so heavily there's no point to opening it up to everyone yet because the supply is simply not there.

Though I did get a message from Cook County yesterday saying they were expecting a boost to supply starting noon today so appointments may become available for anyone 1B+ (essential worker, or over 65 for any reason, or under 65 with underlying condition).

Also, Illinois is anticipating the "general public" group is already going to be smaller than the currently open group of elderly, essential workers and medically compromised.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:04 pm

To be clear, was not complaining about the inability to cut in front of vulnerable people. Just, on the surface, seems like there are some inefficient supply chain decisions when Missiissippi is basically first come first serve, excess supply, and Chicago is booked over a month in advance for their allotment of shots.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Illlinois has received 50.3% of vaccines/total population. Mississippi 48.4% As was mentioned, we're doing better at getting those shots into arms (80.0% to 69.7%)

Chicago is tracking a bit under the rest of the state on supply getting 17.9% of the state's doses compared to Chicago representing 21.4% of its population.
3 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:50 pm

no one cares about oklahoma but we're a good example of GOP related vaccine hesitancy, and I think it's going to become a bigger story soon

for reference:
we never had a statewide mask mandate.
we were the first state to "open up." Everyone got mad at texas for doing it last month but we did it in JUNE OF 2020.
Our governor told people to just act like normal as the pandemic first took hold last year
he was often photographed without a mask.
He was the first governor to test positive for covid. he even shut down a restaurant because he ate there three days before he announced his positive test.
Everyone thought he got covid at the trump rally, but more likely he got it attending a police officer's funeral with thousands of others in Tulsa at a megachurch where no one wore masks despite the city-wide mask mandate.
He bragged about our economy being in good shape and then weeks later said "oops we have 3,000 more covid deaths in oklahoma than we've been claiming."
There's a policy about wearing masks in state buildings, including the capitol, but our republican legislators dont wear masks, they encourage the public (we had a massive anti abortion rally) to not wear masks. If a legislator is on the floor wearing a mask and asking questions, the republican legislators will often say "i can't hear you with your mask on" and refuse to answer the question.

We do have some pretty good people in charge of the various health departments, so our vaccine rollout started strong. Consistently in the top 10 for per capita for the first couple months. They hit up all the nursing homes and assisted living facilities, then when they saw demand dip (and supplies rise) they opened it up to everyone 65+ and those with co-morbidities. As soon as demand dipped, they opened it up to teachers, etc.

At this point we were still in the top 10 per capita. They then opened it up to "essential workers" (about 65-70 percent of the state qualified under this title. But within weeks they're already opening it up to the general public because people are not signing up anymore. We've now fallen out of the top 10 and our vaccinations have stalled at under 30 percent of the state.

I think in the next week or so oklahoma will be a poster child for vaccine hesitancy stories.

I think in the next week
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:55 pm

Picturing that last line with some dramatic, ominous music added at the end of a monologue about an impeding disaster.
4 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:17 pm

New appointments in cook county opened up at noon today, and the registration site is predictably getting hammered by people trying to make an appointment.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:30 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:no one cares about oklahoma but we're a good example of GOP related vaccine hesitancy, and I think it's going to become a bigger story soon

A lot of what you're saying here applies to Missouri too, no state-wide mask mandate, restrictions left up to cities/counties since the summer, governor got covid, etc. We had an added layer of having really uneven vaccine distribution so far. The charitable interpretation is that the governor was overly worried about rural vaccine deserts and overcorrected(plus in metro areas hospital-based distribution has some issues), and the cynical interpretation is the GOP punishing the places that vote blue. I feel like at least in my neck of the woods there's probably more vaccine apathy than hesitation(a lot of folks have basically changed zero behaviors since July), but it'll be interesting to see how much harder it gets to find an appointment when all adults are eligible in 2 weeks.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:33 pm

bukie wrote:New appointments in cook county opened up at noon today, and the registration site is predictably getting hammered by people trying to make an appointment.

Yep I sat there for an hour+. Got one fake out where I clicked to schedule and it disappeared. Otherwise spent an hour basically looking at a white screen. Eventually tried searching for smaller time periods and could at least get it to tell me there were no appointments for that time period. So I tried various 2 day ranges, but never got anything. Now the homepage says they're all booked.

For anyone wanting to drive, Springfield area for Walgreens has appointments. That's the only place in the state I found for IL just by randomly clicking through cities. I'm not at that point yet though. I'll just keep waiting hoping to get closer to home.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:40 pm

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:49 pm

I was forwarded this from a friend of mine. It's from the New England Journal of Medicne
New SARS-CoV-2 Variants — Clinical, Public Health, and Vaccine Implications

March 24, 2021
DOI: 10.1056/NEJMc2100362
Metrics

To the Editor:

Across the world, there are multiple variants of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19). SARS-CoV-2 variants have been classified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as variants of interest, variants of concern, and variants of high consequence. Three new variants1 that have rapidly become dominant within their countries have aroused concerns: B.1.1.7 (also known as VOC-202012/01), 501Y.V2 (B.1.351), and P.1 (B.1.1.28.1).

The B.1.1.7 variant (23 mutations with 17 amino acid changes) was first described in the United Kingdom on December 14, 2020; the 501Y.V2 variant (23 mutations with 17 amino acid changes) was initially reported in South Africa on December 18, 2020; and the P.1 variant (approximately 35 mutations with 17 amino acid changes) was reported in Brazil on January 12, 2021. By February 22, 2021, the B.1.1.7 variant had been reported in 93 countries, the 501Y.V2 variant in 45, and the P.1 variant in 21.1 All three variants have the N501Y mutation, which changes the amino acid asparagine (N) to tyrosine (Y) at position 501 in the receptor-binding domain of the spike protein. The 501Y.V2 and P.1 variants both have two additional receptor-binding–domain mutations, K417N/T and E484K. These mutations increase the binding affinity of the receptor-binding domain to the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor. Four key concerns stemming from the emergence of the new variants are their effects on viral transmissibility, disease severity, reinfection rates (i.e., escape from natural immunity), and vaccine effectiveness (i.e., escape from vaccine-induced immunity).

The 501Y.V2 variant spread rapidly in South Africa, accounting for 11% of the viruses sequenced (44 of 392) in the first week of October 2020, for 60% of those sequenced (302 of 505) in the first week of November 2020, and for 87% of those sequenced (363 of 415) in the first week of December 2020. In Western Cape, a South African province where the 501Y.V2 variant is predominant, a threshold of 100,000 cases of Covid-19 was reached approximately 50% more quickly in the second wave of infection than in the first wave (54 vs. 107 days). The 501Y.V2 variant has been estimated to be 50%2 more transmissible than preexisting variants in South Africa, and B.1.1.7 to be between 43% and 82%3 more transmissible than preexisting variants in the United Kingdom.

Hospital admission rates of diagnosed cases and the clinical profile of admitted patients were similar in the first and second waves in Western Cape. However, a preliminary analysis by the National Institute of Communicable Diseases showed that the 501Y.V2 variant was associated with in-hospital mortality that was 20% higher in the second wave in South Africa than in the first wave. This finding was due mainly to the greater transmissibility of this variant, which rapidly overburdened health services and thus compromised timely access to hospital care and the quality of that care. Evidence from the United Kingdom indicates that the B.1.1.7 variant may be associated with a higher risk of death than preexisting variants in the United Kingdom.4 Although there is no evidence that antiviral agents and antiinflammatory treatments are any less effective with the emerging variants than with the preexisting variants, treatment with convalescent serum and monoclonal antibodies may not be as effective.

With regard to escape from natural immunity, the B.1.1.7 variant showed a modest decrease in neutralization activity, by a factor of 1.5, whereas the 501Y.V2 variant showed complete escape from neutralizing antibodies in 48% of convalescent serum samples (21 of 44) obtained from patients who had previously had Covid-19.5 A serendipitous finding from a vaccine trial in South Africa, in which 31% of the enrolled participants had previously been infected with SARS-CoV-2, was that the incidence of Covid-19, as confirmed on polymerase chain reaction, was 7.9% among seronegative enrollees and 4.4% among seropositive enrollees in the placebo group. This finding indicates that previous infection with preexisting variants may provide only partial protection from reinfection with the 501Y.V2 variant.

Table 1. Table 1. Summary Results on SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Trial Efficacy and Viral Neutralization of the B.1.1.7, P.1, and 501Y.V2 Variants, as Compared with Preexisting Variants.

With regard to escape from vaccine-induced immunity, the B.1.1.7 variant showed modest decreases in neutralizing activity in serum samples obtained from vaccinated persons (Table 1). The serum neutralizing activity for the 501Y.V2 variant among vaccinated persons was lower by a factor of 1.6 to 8.6 for the BBIBP-CorV vaccine, the BNT162b2 vaccine, and the mRNA-1273 vaccine but was lower by a factor of up to 86, including complete immune escape, for the AZD1222 vaccine (Table 1). Neutralizing activity for the P.1 variant among vaccinated persons was lower by a factor of 6.7 for the BNT162b2 vaccine and by a factor of 4.5 for the mRNA-1273 vaccine (Table 1). The clinical relevance of the lower neutralization activity for either mild or severe Covid-19 is not clear, but efficacy in clinical trials was lower for all three vaccines tested in the midst of transmission of the 501Y.V2 variant in South Africa than efficacy in trials conducted in countries with preexisting variants. Efficacy was higher by a factor of 3.2 with the AZD1222 vaccine in the United Kingdom and Brazil than in South Africa (70% vs. 22%), higher by a factor of 1.8 with the NVX-CoV237 vaccine in the United Kingdom than in South Africa (89% vs. 49%), and higher by a factor of 1.3 with the Ad26.COV2.S vaccine in the United States than in South Africa (72% vs. 57%).

The emergence of these three new variants of concern highlight the importance of vigilance with genomic surveillance for the early identification of future variants. Recently, two more SARS-CoV-2 variants, B.1.427 and B.1.429, which were first detected in California, have been shown to be approximately 20% more transmissible than preexisting variants and have been classified by the CDC as variants of concern. The potential of variants to escape naturally induced and vaccine-induced immunity makes the development of next-generation vaccines that elicit broadly neutralizing activity against current and potential future variants a priority. The suppression of viral replication with both public health measures and the equitable distribution of vaccines is critical in reducing the risk of generation of new variants.

Salim S. Abdool Karim, M.B., Ch.B., Ph.D.
Centre for the AIDS Program of Research in South Africa, Durban, South Africa
salim.abdoolkarim@caprisa.org

Tulio de Oliveira, Ph.D.
KwaZulu-Natal Research Innovation and Sequencing Platform (KRISP), Durban, South Africa

Disclosure forms. opens in new tab provided by the authors are available with the full text of this letter at NEJM.org.

Regular vaccinations at multiple times may be the new normal if we cannot contain the spread (and we don't seem to be able to do that).
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:25 pm

CubinNY wrote:https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/03/24/embattled-loretto-executive-resigns-after-vaccine-scandals/

the head shot of this [expletive] 1/3 way down the article looks like Jack Black
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:19 pm

I'm going to counter the terrible reaction anecdotes with getting my second shot Sunday and skiing all day Monday! Not bad for everyone I guess.
1 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 pm

got my first shot of moderna today. sean 1 covid 0
6 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:14 am

seanimal wrote:got my first shot of moderna today. sean 1 covid 0

Actually, it's Covid 19.

Sorry, trying to delete.
13 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:19 pm

Welp, a student in our scene shop got COVID, which means my staff carpenter has to quarantine for 10 days. This means the scenery for our next show isn't going to be built. This student's photograph was featured in the local paper in a story about people celebrating St. Patrick's day in bars. I'm shocked this student hasn't tested positive in the past (he's a knucklehead who constantly brags about partying with his buddies).

It's a pain in the ass that selfish people end up rippling their stupidity out to the people who are just trying to make it through the school year
0 x

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:11 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:no one cares about oklahoma but we're a good example of GOP related vaccine hesitancy, and I think it's going to become a bigger story soon

A lot of what you're saying here applies to Missouri too, no state-wide mask mandate, restrictions left up to cities/counties since the summer, governor got covid, etc. We had an added layer of having really uneven vaccine distribution so far. The charitable interpretation is that the governor was overly worried about rural vaccine deserts and overcorrected(plus in metro areas hospital-based distribution has some issues), and the cynical interpretation is the GOP punishing the places that vote blue. I feel like at least in my neck of the woods there's probably more vaccine apathy than hesitation(a lot of folks have basically changed zero behaviors since July), but it'll be interesting to see how much harder it gets to find an appointment when all adults are eligible in 2 weeks.

Yep. Down here in Branson a leading candidate for mayor is running solely on ending the mask mandate.

Anyways, finally got my email and am scheduled for my first dose on Wednesday.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:56 pm

April Fools Day for shot 1. Perfect for me actually.
3 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:23 pm

Just got my first Pfizer today. Pretty excited.
3 x
In Theo we trust.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:59 pm

Available appointments with Walgreens creeping closer to DuPage County. Pontiac and Sterling both have appointments, but those are both still 1.5 hour drives for me. Hoping another week will continue to increase availability closer to me.
0 x

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:01 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:April Fools Day for shot 1. Perfect for me actually.

Will also be getting mine on 4/1.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:30 pm

Oh ok.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 pm

CDC reported 3.4m doses today, enough for 1 per every 100 people in the last 24 hours.

There's expected to be a huge dump of Johnson and Johnson vaccines next week as they scramble to hit their "20m by end of March" goal which they still swear they are going to succeed on.

Here in California, we are down to 2,766 hospitalized and 651 in ICU. Previous lows from last summer were 2969 and 712. National plateau sucks, but this area keeps getting better.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:48 pm

COVID is running rampant in Brazil and India right now.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 pm

Booked both my doses within a 15 minute drive of my house! First on Wednesday!!
6 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:28 pm

CubinNY wrote:COVID is running rampant in Brazil and India right now.

Just read an article on Brazil, ugh.

President Bolsonaro: “Stop whining.”

At least nobody has to wonder how he truly feels.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Return to “Social”