CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:45 pm

Especially given the gauntlet of shots they require for literally everything else.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:08 pm

None of the COVID vaccines have been fully approved by the FDA; they are only being used under EUA (Emergency Use Authorization). Until a vaccine has full FDA approval, the armed forces legally cannot require their people to receive it.
2 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:36 am

2 x

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:15 am

Apparently I'm the only person in my family getting the vaccine. Well, so be it. Looking forward to knocking out that second shot. :stickman:
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:33 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:None of the COVID vaccines have been fully approved by the FDA; they are only being used under EUA (Emergency Use Authorization). Until a vaccine has full FDA approval, the armed forces legally cannot require their people to receive it.

I mean...I'm pretty certain this was not a roadblock in the past. Maybe it should have been in numerous past cases, but it shouldn't be now.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:28 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:None of the COVID vaccines have been fully approved by the FDA; they are only being used under EUA (Emergency Use Authorization). Until a vaccine has full FDA approval, the armed forces legally cannot require their people to receive it.

I mean...I'm pretty certain this was not a roadblock in the past. Maybe it should have been in numerous past cases, but it shouldn't be now.

No state or federal entity can mandate the requirement of a vaccine without FDA approval. Private entities generally can.

And you're right, the US government does have a history of requiring people to be injected with things; too often without the people receiving the injections not knowing or not being told the full extent of what they were being injected with. Hence why they can't do it now.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:18 pm

Just got my 2nd Pfizer. Wife got hers yesterday and got hit with the exhaustion/body aches about 5-6 hours after the dose.

I got my first dose at a mass vaccination event at the Ohio State basketball arena. They auto-scheduled everyone to come back to the same place 3 weeks later. We waited in line for over an hour for our first dose, but I was in and got my second dose on under ten minutes. Trying to figure out where all these people needing their 2nd dose are...
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm

Finally got vaccine scheduled. Got the pfizer, which was hard to find in Chicago
1 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:06 pm

I'm a little confused by what is going on in Michigan right now. A plateau is one thing, but they are experiencing much more than that. Whatever is happening there, it seems like only a matter of time before we start seeing the effects in Illinois.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:12 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:I'm a little confused by what is going on in Michigan right now. A plateau is one thing, but they are experiencing much more than that. Whatever is happening there, it seems like only a matter of time before we start seeing the effects in Illinois.

They've only vaccinated 22% of the population, yet have been opening more and more for over a month now, and are likely being hit by one or more of the newer variants.

And yes, almost everywhere is susceptible to the same thing happening since few states have regions where more than 20-30% of the population is fully vaccinated at best.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:16 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:I'm a little confused by what is going on in Michigan right now. A plateau is one thing, but they are experiencing much more than that. Whatever is happening there, it seems like only a matter of time before we start seeing the effects in Illinois.

They've only vaccinated 22% of the population, yet have been opening more and more for over a month now, and are likely being hit by one or more of the newer variants.

That is fully vaccinated, but I read they were around 40% having at least one dose. Certainly far from herd immunity, but I would expect that to be putting significant downward pressure on hospitalisation numbers. The fact that they are still seeing a large spike in hospitalizations, even with much of the higher risk population vaccinated, is what is surprising to me.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: RE: Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:12 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

That is fully vaccinated, but I read they were around 40% having at least one dose. Certainly far from herd immunity, but I would expect that to be putting significant downward pressure on hospitalisation numbers. The fact that they are still seeing a large spike in hospitalizations, even with much of the higher risk population vaccinated, is what is surprising to me.

40% is still way too low, plus it arguably takes a good 1-2 weeks after vaccination for it to reach its efficacy. There's been, unfortunately, several cases of nursing/assisted living home breakouts despite the residents having received their first vaccination because they were exposed within the first week afterwards.

Bottom line, horsefeathers has opened up too early. The variants are able to hit younger demographics harder, and you combine that with not enough people vaccinated yet, single or double dose, and here we are.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:09 pm

5 hours in and I barely even feel my arm, much less any side effects. I'm sure this post will not age well
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:34 pm

California is opening steadily, only has 29% of its population fully vaccinated, has had plenty of variant presence for as long as we've been measuring it, and our cases have continued to stay low and our hospitalizations have been setting new lows almost daily for a month.

Whtaever's happening in Michigan vs here, I have trouble believing it's as simple as 7% difference in vaccinations.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:34 pm

Derwood wrote:5 hours in and I barely even feel my arm, much less any side effects. I'm sure this post will not age well

After my second shot, I did okay at first. Just a very sore shoulder starting around where you are now and a mildly upset stomach. For me, things got out of control around the 16 hour mark post-jab. By around 24 hours in, they were getting better. But I had reacted exceptionally poorly in that interval, so it took me a while to get back to normal.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:36 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:California is opening steadily, only has 29% of its population fully vaccinated, has had plenty of variant presence for as long as we've been measuring it, and our cases have continued to stay low and our hospitalizations have been setting new lows almost daily for a month.

Whtaever's happening in Michigan vs here, I have trouble believing it's as simple as 7% difference in vaccinations.

Variant strain? What is the testing like on different strains?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:23 pm

Rob wrote:
Derwood wrote:5 hours in and I barely even feel my arm, much less any side effects. I'm sure this post will not age well

After my second shot, I did okay at first. Just a very sore shoulder starting around where you are now and a mildly upset stomach. For me, things got out of control around the 16 hour mark post-jab. By around 24 hours in, they were getting better. But I had reacted exceptionally poorly in that interval, so it took me a while to get back to normal.

I'm anticipating having to cancel my classes tomorrow and hope I feel better by the time rehearsal rolls around (which would be 30+ hours after the shot)
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:55 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:California is opening steadily, only has 29% of its population fully vaccinated, has had plenty of variant presence for as long as we've been measuring it, and our cases have continued to stay low and our hospitalizations have been setting new lows almost daily for a month.

Variant strain? What is the testing like on different strains?

It doesn't impact testing to see if someone is infected with COVID, if that's what you're asking; that kind of testing isn't impacted by newer variants.

The US' tracking of variant seroprevalence had been terrible to the point of practically non-existent under the previous administration, so it's still struggling to get with the curve, much less ahead of it. Michigan could be hit by a variant or variants we simply haven't been tracking at all, so comparing them to California is likely just pointing to different variants in play between the two states and different vulnerable populations and different protective behaviors in place. It's not, fortunately, rocket science to see these things in the macro sense; the issue is specifically tracking these variants.

Bottom line, it's still just comes down to getting enough people fully vaccinated, and we're still way too far away from any kind of acceptable number for most states to be opening up as they are or have already done over the last month. Until you get enough needles into enough people, any of the variants have the very real chance to rip through localized populations.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:09 am

Crap. I can't find my Vaccine card from when I got the first shot. Is this going to cause issues when I go to get my second if I don't have it?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 am

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:Crap. I can't find my Vaccine card from when I got the first shot. Is this going to cause issues when I go to get my second if I don't have it?

We just make you a new one. But definitely judge you real hard.
1 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:58 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:Crap. I can't find my Vaccine card from when I got the first shot. Is this going to cause issues when I go to get my second if I don't have it?

We just make you a new one. But definitely judge you real hard.

That's sort of a relief. Haha. Thank you.

ETA: Found it. I guess I was scared of being judged.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:04 am

i spent 12 months avoiding my parents, cousins, family, etc. Only for the vaccines to come out and half of them to go "no thanks lol."
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:12 am

1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:24 am

Almost 24 hours after my second Pfizer and outside of the mildest of arm soreness, I haven't felt a thing. Did I get a placebo? Is there a secret placebo program going on? Or maybe I'm a zombie? No idea, but my wife hates me as she has felt like horsefeathers for the past 36 hours
0 x

Return to “Social”