Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:04 pm

Boy am I glad I noticed that Judas and the Black Messiah was leaving HBO last night.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:17 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Boy am I glad I noticed that Judas and the Black Messiah was leaving HBO last night.

Oh, damn, seriously? Crap
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:22 pm

Derwood wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Boy am I glad I noticed that Judas and the Black Messiah was leaving HBO last night.

Yeah, I was struggling to find something to watch at about 9:00 last night, and I went to HBO Max to see if any new movies had been added in the past week. It left at midnight Pacific so it was pretty good timing.
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:50 pm

Excellent movie. It's crazy that about half the country watches that and sees Jesse Plemons as the good guy.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:52 pm

Lol, I"m watching Batman vs. Superman (The Ultimate Version), it's 3 hours long mostly because everything is in slow motion. Every scene is 30 seconds to two minutes longer than it needs to be in low light.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:13 am

Coming 2 America really is a steaming pile of poo.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:22 pm

Zack Snyder Cut is in 4:3 format. lol
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 pm

CubinNY wrote:Zack Snyder Cut is in 4:3 format. lol

Just in case you have a home IMAX theater.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:41 am

So, up until the "epilogue" I really enjoyed the Snyder Cut, tbh. It made a LOT more sense than the theatrical release. Didn't love all of it, but enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:53 pm

Banedon wrote:So, up until the "epilogue" I really enjoyed the Snyder Cut, tbh. It made a LOT more sense than the theatrical release. Didn't love all of it, but enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.

Same, at least the movie made sense, a little. That dude loves slow-motion and pensive-looking people in slow-motion.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:50 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Yeah, I was struggling to find something to watch at about 9:00 last night, and I went to HBO Max to see if any new movies had been added in the past week. It left at midnight Pacific so it was pretty good timing.

I didn't love it. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but I was bored.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:47 am

I'm giving the Justice League movie a shot but man does it feel like it is made exclusively for men who can only become erect while describing the exact nature of the levels of black their TV can display.
8 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:59 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I'm giving the Justice League movie a shot but man does it feel like it is made exclusively for men who can only become erect while describing the exact nature of the levels of black their TV can display.

So CC, then?
5 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:40 am

Watched Mank tonight. Loved it.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:14 am

I just wanted, by that I mean expected, it to be better and way different than the Whedon/Disney cut and it was. I don't care so much whether Snyder is good or bad at making movies so much as that theater cut was so egregiously not his movie. Maybe most it was a Whedon movie? It reeked of Whedon from the opening scene shot on a rooftop they might have borrowed from the CW

The Iris West scene could be a whole topic itself. I'm almost interested to see what people write about it, could go alot of ways
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Of course it's more coherent than the massacred theater version; Snyder's problem has never been he can't make coherent movies. It's always very clear and easy to follow how and why his movies suck in so many ways. It shouldn't take 4 hours to figure that out.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:53 pm

Watched Uncut Gems last night. Been a while that I disliked a movie that much. The murderous thug was the only guy I identified with. The score was just a Stranger Things rip off, and unbelievably distracting.

I've seen a lot of worse-quality movies over the last two years, but none of them were nearly as annoying to me.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:33 pm

0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:29 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:The score was just a Stranger Things rip off, and unbelievably distracting.

In what horsefeathering dimension does the music of Oneohtrix Point Never sound ANYTHING like the score for Stranger Things?!
2 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:25 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Watched Uncut Gems last night. Been a while that I disliked a movie that much. The murderous thug was the only guy I identified with. The score was just a Stranger Things rip off, and unbelievably distracting.

I've seen a lot of worse-quality movies over the last two years, but none of them were nearly as annoying to me.

That’s a take.
3 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:16 pm

cl smooth wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:The score was just a Stranger Things rip off, and unbelievably distracting.

In what horsefeathering dimension does the music of Oneohtrix Point Never sound ANYTHING like the score for Stranger Things?!

Myself: What in the hell is a Oneohtrix Point Never?!
Google: "He began releasing synth-based recordings in the mid-2000s, receiving initial acclaim,[2] and has subsequently explored varied approaches, styles and aesthetics, including sample-based composition, kitschy MIDI production and experimentation with musical clichés."
Myself: That sounds a lot like those Stranger Things guys.
Google: "Survive is an electronic band consisting of Michael Stein, Kyle Dixon, Adam Jones and Mark Donica formed in 2009 in Austin, Texas. The Austin-based quartet have been producing synth-heavy, horror-score-influenced compositions for almost a decade, exploring these themes through drum machines and analog synths across various single, EP and LP releases and contributions to soundtracks such as acclaimed indie horror film The Guest."

Huh, so, I'll admit that I've never heard of a Oneohtrix before (what a dumb name), but I think "how it sounds ANYTHING" alike is pretty damn obvious.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:19 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

Google: "He began releasing synth-based recordings in the mid-2000s, receiving initial acclaim,[2] and has subsequently explored varied approaches, styles and aesthetics, including sample-based composition, kitschy MIDI production and experimentation with musical clichés."
Google: "Survive is an electronic band consisting of Michael Stein, Kyle Dixon, Adam Jones and Mark Donica formed in 2009 in Austin, Texas. The Austin-based quartet have been producing synth-heavy, horror-score-influenced compositions for almost a decade, exploring these themes through drum machines and analog synths across various single, EP and LP releases and contributions to soundtracks such as acclaimed indie horror film The Guest."

Huh, so, I'll admit that I've never heard of a Oneohtrix before (what a dumb name), but I think "how it sounds ANYTHING" alike is pretty damn obvious.

EDIT: not gonna take the bait on this one.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:25 pm

cl smooth wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

EDIT: not gonna take the bait on this one.

No idea what you mean. They are both synth-heavy throwback schticks. Nothing more complicated or nefarious than that. At least it fit a nostalgia-fest taking place in the 80s like Stranger Things. It was inexplicable in Uncut Gems, which I suppose fit the rest of the movie in that sense.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:47 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Watched Uncut Gems last night. Been a while that I disliked a movie that much. The murderous thug was the only guy I identified with. The score was just a Stranger Things rip off, and unbelievably distracting.

legitimately ban-worthy take
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:28 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:

legitimately ban-worthy take

No horsefeathers. Yikes.
0 x

Return to “Social”