Video Game Thread

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:32 pm

A colleague of mine helped make this browser clicker game, I think the aesthetic and message will resonate with a lot of folks here: https://thisgameishaunted.itch.io/trash-the-planet
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:19 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:A colleague of mine helped make this browser clicker game, I think the aesthetic and message will resonate with a lot of folks here: https://thisgameishaunted.itch.io/trash-the-planet

I started it a bit last night. I'll have to give it a better chance when I have more time, but it seems fun!
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:47 pm

sds teased a few new legends with their latest trailer:

Spoiler: show
fernando valenzuela
hank aaron
prince fielder
PEDRO MARTINEZ
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:59 pm

Got insanely lucky and sat down to my computer this morning literally 8 seconds after a notification about GameStop selling PS5's again popped up. Managed to snag this bundle:

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/pl ... 5170G.html

Bundles aren't ideal (would have preferred just the basic package), but at least this is one of the few where I at least want all the games.

But for anyone trying GameStop again in the future, I saw a tweet that seemed to be the trick that got this to work. I was initially refreshing all of their console options in multiple tabs for several minutes, but only that greyed out "not available" button was showing up. That I saw a guy mention that if he checked one of the protection plan boxes, suddenly the box turned red and said "add to cart." I tried the same thing, and boom, that's exactly what happened, though even then I was initially getting a pop up that would say, "we are still adding stock; please try again." But now with the protection plan box checked, each time I refreshed the tab, the buttons stayed red instead of grey, so I actually had a shot. Then when it finally added to the cart (you have to go through a couple captchas), you can just remove the protection plan and proceed. I ended up being able to add all 3 of their different bundles to my cart by doing this before settling on the one I got, so that seems to be the catch.
3 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:08 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Got insanely lucky and sat down to my computer this morning literally 8 seconds after a notification about GameStop selling PS5's again popped up. Managed to snag this bundle:

Bundles aren't ideal (would have preferred just the basic package), but at least this is one of the few where I at least want all the games.

But for anyone trying GameStop again in the future, I saw a tweet that seemed to be the trick that got this to work. I was initially refreshing all of their console options in multiple tabs for several minutes, but only that greyed out "not available" button was showing up. That I saw a guy mention that if he checked one of the protection plan boxes, suddenly the box turned red and said "add to cart." I tried the same thing, and boom, that's exactly what happened, though even then I was initially getting a pop up that would say, "we are still adding stock; please try again." But now with the protection plan box checked, each time I refreshed the tab, the buttons stayed red instead of grey, so I actually had a shot. Then when it finally added to the cart (you have to go through a couple captchas), you can just remove the protection plan and proceed. I ended up being able to add all 3 of their different bundles to my cart by doing this before settling on the one I got, so that seems to be the catch.

The link to the bundle isn’t working, what was included in the bundle? Congrats
0 x
Win it for Fred

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:01 pm

MLB The Show is going to be free on release day with Xbox Game Pass. Getting the game on Xbox at all was surprising, but this is huge.
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:37 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Got insanely lucky and sat down to my computer this morning literally 8 seconds after a notification about GameStop selling PS5's again popped up. Managed to snag this bundle:

A second controller, a $20 gift card, the Miles Morales Spider-Man game, the Avengers game, and the latest Hitman.
2 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:46 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

A second controller, a $20 gift card, the Miles Morales Spider-Man game, the Avengers game, and the latest Hitman.

Not a bad haul. The Avengers game is meh outside of the main story but its cool to see it with PS5 resolution. That free Astro's Playroom game is actually pretty damn good, though short. But I've mostly been playing PS+ PS4 collection games. Several I wanted to play in the past but didnt (like God of War), several I've wanted to play again (like Last of Us Remastered). I had a launch day PS4 so while others aren't seeing huge graphical leaps, I definitely am, particularly with frame rate.
2 x
Win it for Fred

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:25 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:MLB The Show is going to be free on release day with Xbox Game Pass. Getting the game on Xbox at all was surprising, but this is huge.

glad i didnt preorder, hell yeah
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:42 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Not a bad haul. The Avengers game is meh outside of the main story but its cool to see it with PS5 resolution. That free Astro's Playroom game is actually pretty damn good, though short. But I've mostly been playing PS+ PS4 collection games. Several I wanted to play in the past but didnt (like God of War), several I've wanted to play again (like Last of Us Remastered). I had a launch day PS4 so while others aren't seeing huge graphical leaps, I definitely am, particularly with frame rate.

Yeah, the Avengers game looks...fine. It'll be fun enough. Like you said, right now this is pretty much all about playing my PS4 games on a much better system. I've put Ghost of Tsushima on hold about 30% of the way in so I can transfer it over.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:23 pm

For my fellow Civilization 6 nerds who haven't tried the newest DLC, Portugal is so fun and so easy to exploit.

Portugal's whole thing is about overseas international trades. You get a free trade route each time you meet a new civ. And your trade routes have greatly increased yields. The downside is your trade routes have to be over the water, rather than on land.

I played a 12 player archipelago map. Which meant that I got a free trade route for all 11 of the other civs. And thanks to the archipelago map, it was easy to situate almost all of my cities either directly on the coast or so that they could have a harbor to trade from.

I've found myself keeping the Secret Societies mode on during pretty much all games just for the fun of it. (Also Heroes & Legends and the newer Barbarian Clans mode). So I also tossed in the Owls of Minerva for my society. Getting bonus envoys with city-state trade routes was okay in the early going when I didn't have much of the map uncovered yet. But by mid-game I hardly ever used that ability except to snatch suzerainty back up when needed. The biggest and most important ability from Owls of Minerva is actually the Gilded Vault, which lets you get two trade routes per city (one from commercial hub and one from harbor).

I stacked all the appropriate trading policy cards and suddenly I had 20+ (capping out around 40) trade routes. Each was pulling in 10-20 food, production, science, culture, and faith each turn. And some were pulling in north of 100 gold per turn. Before turn 300, I was banking north of 6,500 gold per turn. It was absurd. I bought jet bombers and fighters everywhere. I bought massive naval armadas. I was using Reyna to buy districts left and right. I was spending tens of thousands of gold on great people as soon as they became available. It didn't matter -- I'd forget to spend money for like 4 turns and look back up at my bank and have tens of thousands just hanging out. At one point I was floating more than 100k gold. There just wasn't enough stuff to buy. I ended up with a science victory in 271 turns, and I wasn't trying that hard for it.

Lots of fun. Highly recommended.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yeah, the Avengers game looks...fine. It'll be fun enough. Like you said, right now this is pretty much all about playing my PS4 games on a much better system. I've put Ghost of Tsushima on hold about 30% of the way in so I can transfer it over.

So speaking of PS4 games getting the bump, I just started replaying Horizon in anticipation of the new one later this year. It was always a gorgeous game but horsefeathering christ does it look good now.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:57 am

Bertz wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

So speaking of PS4 games getting the bump, I just started replaying Horizon in anticipation of the new one later this year. It was always a gorgeous game but horsefeathering christ does it look good now.

Yeah, GoT is still all I've played, but it looks amazing how much more smooth and detailed it is on the PS5, and it only came out less than a year ago. Horizon is one of the main ones I want to go back to and finally finish because of this. Might actually just start all the way over.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:42 pm

Hopped on GamePass for the first time in months since I got caught up in Diamond Dynasty. Holy crap adding Bethesda turned GP into a murderers row of insane content. The selection is insane right now
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 pm

In video game news that is of interest to absolutely no one; In MLB The Show 2017, I'm in the year 2023, and Yadi Molina retired in 2022 and did not make the HOF. At least in my fantasy world of baseball, all is right with the world.
2 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:51 pm

CubinNY wrote:In video game news that is of interest to absolutely no one; In MLB The Show 2017, I'm in the year 2023, and Yadi Molina retired in 2022 and did not make the HOF. At least in my fantasy world of baseball, all is right with the world.

I started reading this and though 'ugh not another Show dynasty post' until I got to the end. Well worth the post.
0 x
Win it for Fred

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat May 08, 2021 3:15 am

There's a Topps Now moment on Diamond Dynasty where you get to pitch as Rizzo to Freeman. They gave Rizzo a screwball in his repertoire
4 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat May 08, 2021 3:00 pm

The Logan wrote:There's a Topps Now moment on Diamond Dynasty where you get to pitch as Rizzo to Freeman. They gave Rizzo a screwball in his repertoire

And now I've added him to my bullpen and he weirdly K's 95% of the batters I face.

Oh, and it's great because he retains all his hitting stats (naturally) so he's essentially a two-way reliever. I brought him in, pitched 2 innings, K'd 6, and hit a 430 foot dong to boot.

I always loved hitting with his FOTF card last year but I had far better 1B to play over him, this card is awesome because it still lets me use him in a productive capacity.
2 x

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Sat May 08, 2021 3:48 pm

The Logan wrote:
The Logan wrote:There's a Topps Now moment on Diamond Dynasty where you get to pitch as Rizzo to Freeman. They gave Rizzo a screwball in his repertoire

And now I've added him to my bullpen and he weirdly K's 95% of the batters I face.

Oh, and it's great because he retains all his hitting stats (naturally) so he's essentially a two-way reliever. I brought him in, pitched 2 innings, K'd 6, and hit a 430 foot dong to boot.

I always loved hitting with his FOTF card last year but I had far better 1B to play over him, this card is awesome because it still lets me use him in a productive capacity.

I'm trying to get through law school finals, and now all I want is to go unlock Tony.
4 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sun May 09, 2021 12:14 am

More Civ talk for the handful of other Civ nerds.

I just tried out the new TSL (True Start Location) Huge Earth map. Man alive, they aren't kidding about that being a huge map. I play on huge quite a bit, but that feels way bigger than typical. Maybe it's just the sheer size of some of the landmasses, but wow.

Aside from wanting to exploit some of the standard shenanigans (like starting directly next to another civ so you can take their settler on turn 1), I just cannot fathom why people would want to play that map over and over again.

As I am a cheeky bastard, I did do the lesser exploit of playing as John Curtain to ensure that I had Australia to myself. I then expanded up through Indonesia into Vietnam, and took over the very southern part of China before the Mongolians could settle there. I couldn't expand westward due to India, who were this game's unfair "running away with it" Civ. (And there's nothing much more worrying than the notion that Gandhi might get to nukes before you...) But thankfully I was able to colonize the southern bit of South America.

All in all, I had 30-40 cities and could have had more if I wanted Siberia. There's just that much spare land -- I didn't take a single city from the computer.

Anyway, mid 200s diplomatic victory and another one ticked off the Hall of Fame. One of these days I'll catch up to you, OMC.

Spoiler: show
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:25 am

Do they give him a haircut too?
0 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Social”