Are we getting Black Monday II? No, but we got a Black QB!!!

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: Are we getting Black Monday II? No, but we got a Black QB!!!

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:45 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
rawaction wrote:Restructuring Quinn keeps him on the team longer as his guaranteed money would be more spread out. Unless it's just a straight pay cut, that's a bad idea.

I'm admittedly a contrarian on this point, but moving Quinn's guarantees doesn't make him harder to cut later on. Yes, it creates a potential big dead cap penalty in 2022, but it's offset by the 2021 savings you need now. The only difference is timing, but it's all a sunk cost. And sunk costs shouldn't determine personnel decisions.

The only cap downside is it makes it much harder to trade him in 2021, but I'm assuming that's a very narrow possibility anyways to the point that it's of zero concern.

Correct in that it’s the same net money over time, but still makes him harder to cut. You’re paying him less now to pay him more next year when you cut him. Overall, it’s the same money, just paid during different cap years. And paying him more guaranteed 2022 money makes him harder to cut after this season.

Its a pedantic point, but restructuring Quinn really doesnt matter.

Ultimately every unearned contract you go forward with is a choice. For example, is Hicks worth 10.5M? Is Graham worth 7M? Is Charles Leno worth 8.9M. Etc. Each of those is choices. Spend it now or spend it on a replacement. Or save it all for the future. Quinn restructure or Mack's is just an excercise in timing. But just cause you may have answered those earlier questions poorly, doesn't mean playing around with timing of another dead hit is bad or affects 2022. The decisions on the other guys in 2021 is what actually affects 2022.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed May 05, 2021 2:28 pm

I know the thread title was changed in jest, but it's a little jarring to look back and see that outside of one start by Jason Campbell in 2012, the Bears haven't actually had a black starting QB since Kordell Stewart in 2003.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:33 pm

Derwood wrote:I know the thread title was changed in jest, but it's a little jarring to look back and see that outside of one start by Jason Campbell in 2012, the Bears haven't actually had a black starting QB since Kordell Stewart in 2003.

There's a really good thread on twitter breaking down the number of starts every team has given to a black QB in their history. As of September 2020, the Bears ranked 23rd in most starts with 41, but Mahomes and the Chiefs as well as Kyler and the Cardinals have since passed them, so 25th.

The worst is the Giants, who have given just 1 start to a black QB in their entire franchise history - Geno Smith

0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed May 05, 2021 3:32 pm

Growing up, the Warren Moons or the Randall Cunningham’s of the league were the rare exception, as the QB role was overwhelmingly white. But that has shifted so much over the past 20 years that it’s kinda crazy that a team with so much QB turnover hasn’t accidentally started a black QB a few times. It’s not like we’ve had a Brady or Rodgers filling the spot for 15+ years...
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed May 05, 2021 3:52 pm

Derwood wrote:Growing up, the Warren Moons or the Randall Cunningham’s of the league were the rare exception, as the QB role was overwhelmingly white. But that has shifted so much over the past 20 years that it’s kinda crazy that a team with so much QB turnover hasn’t accidentally started a black QB a few times. It’s not like we’ve had a Brady or Rodgers filling the spot for 15+ years...

i mean, we did have cutler for 8 years. and before that there was rex and neckbeard. then drafted mitch shortly thereafter. i guess the best window was that last cutler year where a bunch of random idiots played and then the glennon/mitch year after that.
0 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Wed May 05, 2021 4:14 pm

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:Growing up, the Warren Moons or the Randall Cunningham’s of the league were the rare exception, as the QB role was overwhelmingly white. But that has shifted so much over the past 20 years that it’s kinda crazy that a team with so much QB turnover hasn’t accidentally started a black QB a few times. It’s not like we’ve had a Brady or Rodgers filling the spot for 15+ years...

i mean, we did have cutler for 8 years. and before that there was rex and neckbeard. then drafted mitch shortly thereafter. i guess the best window was that last cutler year where a bunch of random idiots played and then the glennon/mitch year after that.

Hard to believe we had Cutler for 8 damn years. Doesn't seem that long in my mind. We did have Vince Evans as a starting QB in the late 70's/early 80's.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed May 05, 2021 4:36 pm

I love that Nagy giving 1 year contract, has yet to take a single snap as a Bear, Andy Dalton a courtesy call on draft day and draft night has entered the Rodgers/Green Bay drama
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed May 05, 2021 4:59 pm

Brian wrote:I love that Nagy giving 1 year contract, has yet to take a single snap as a Bear, Andy Dalton a courtesy call on draft day and draft night has entered the Rodgers/Green Bay drama

wait, what? Dalton is upset? tough horsefeathers
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed May 05, 2021 5:07 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Brian wrote:I love that Nagy giving 1 year contract, has yet to take a single snap as a Bear, Andy Dalton a courtesy call on draft day and draft night has entered the Rodgers/Green Bay drama

No, part of Rodgers thing is no one even told him they were drafting Love, and people are contrasting that with the fact that Nagy called Dalton twice making GB look worse.
3 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:54 pm

Well the Bears definitely learned their lesson with the Glennon draft day party surprise lol.

I mean tough horsefeathers for Glennon, I found it more funny than anything and he got paid handsomely to horsefeathers down his leg for 4 games, but probably best they didn't do the same again.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 pm

Brian wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

No, part of Rodgers thing is no one even told him they were drafting Love, and people are contrasting that with the fact that Nagy called Dalton twice making GB look worse.

I see what you mean. otoh, who looks worse, the Packers or Rodgers? or both? lol
0 x

gflore34
5-Time All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:35 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Brian wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

I see what you mean. otoh, who looks worse, the Packers or Rodgers? or both? lol

Tough call on who looks worse, I'll go with Rodgers. Do the Packers have to clear every draft pick with him? Who the horsefeathers does he think he is, the GM?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu May 06, 2021 6:58 pm

aaron rodgers is easily, and by a distant margin, the most valuable person in that organization. more important than the coach, gm, or anybody else. you do not piss him off.

i love this, and not just because it means he'll be gone from the division (but that helps a lot).
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu May 06, 2021 7:16 pm

He will either get traded or he’ll retire. I’d be absolutely shocked if he’s the GB QB come September
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu May 06, 2021 7:44 pm

I think he'll be back. I think he's burnt up over Love being drafted, having am MVP season, and not winning the SB. But tough horsefeathers, and he'll be over it come training camp.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”