Eovaldi Rumors

Tim
Hall of Fame

Eovaldi Rumors

Postby Tim » Tue May 31, 2016 5:50 pm

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/201 ... _nath.html

I won't comment on most of this since it is entirely speculation. I just love this quote:

What could the Yankees get from the Cubs for Eovaldi? Who knows, but the conversation should probably start with 23-year-old Javier Baez, perhaps Chicago's most talented youngster and whom Baseball America ranked the game's fifth best prospect going into 2014.

sneaky should post in 5...4...3...2...1
0 x
Spoiler: show

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Re: Eovaldi Rumors

Postby sneakypower » Tue May 31, 2016 6:27 pm

apropos of nothing, i believe we nearly acquired Eovaldi in the Dempster talks, but that still worked out for the best of course
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue May 31, 2016 6:50 pm

i don't care a whole lot about Eovaldi but still mostly love the idea of trading Baez now (instead for Miller?) and then filling his role with any of a number of guys who should be freely available and don't figure to be much of a drop-off: Gordon Beckham/Marwin Gonzalez/Chris Owings/Andres Blanco/whatever

have to think anybody in the Sands/Je. Baez/Tseng/Berg tier would get that done, similar to the Haren derby last year
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue May 31, 2016 7:03 pm

sneakypower wrote:i don't care a whole lot about Eovaldi but still mostly love the idea of trading Baez now (instead for Miller?) and then filling his role with any of a number of guys who should be freely available and don't figure to be much of a drop-off: Gordon Beckham/Marwin Gonzalez/Chris Owings/Andres Blanco/whatever

have to think anybody in the Sands/Je. Baez/Tseng/Berg tier would get that done, similar to the Haren derby last year

i spent a good 90 seconds or so confused as to why you'd rather have shelby miller than eovaldi before i realized what you meant
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue May 31, 2016 10:03 pm

Posted an article on the front page.

Weird, right?
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue May 31, 2016 10:08 pm

[standard nsb nitpicking]does it still count as hot stove in may?[/standard nsb nitpicking]
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue May 31, 2016 10:35 pm

David wrote:[standard nsb nitpicking]does it still count as hot stove in may?[/standard nsb nitpicking]

Would it count in seven hours?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue May 31, 2016 10:38 pm

Tim wrote:
David wrote:[standard nsb nitpicking]does it still count as hot stove in may?[/standard nsb nitpicking]

I don't see why it being June would help??
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue May 31, 2016 10:46 pm

David wrote:
Tim wrote:

I don't see why it being June would help??

Yeah, fine. I'm blanking. What's the right term for the summer trading season?
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue May 31, 2016 11:07 pm

Isn't it just trade deadline?

For me, I'd rather have another shutdown reliever than another starter. Someone that allows you to pull the starter after 6. I do believe Baez will be a late bloomer.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue May 31, 2016 11:13 pm

stitchface wrote:Isn't it just trade deadline?

For me, I'd rather have another shutdown reliever than another starter. Someone that allows you to pull the starter after 6. I do believe Baez will be a late bloomer.

The problem with it being May is that "deadline rumor" sounds pretty lame at this point, too.

Define "shut down reliever" - for example, is Strop a shut down reliever? How many of those guys are out there and how many will be on the block?
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue May 31, 2016 11:19 pm

Don't the yankees have a glut? Could Eovaldi be a reliever?

I would put Strop there. I think you never trust your team's relievers as much as other team's but he's pretty reliable. One good thing is that the Cubs late inning guys are not being overused so far. Having three dominant one inning guys with the cubs offense and starters would seem pretty solid to me for the playoffs. I don't think I would trade Javy for Eovaldi.
0 x

muntjack
All-Star

Postby muntjack » Tue May 31, 2016 11:20 pm

If the Cubs did deal for a starter, I assume it would be for another TOR type (to minimize playoff variance as much as possible.) Having Jose Fernandez start game 3 of the NLCS against Maeda or Samarzjia or whomever seems like something I could get behind.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue May 31, 2016 11:21 pm

if we got a starter that would slot in ahead of lackey (basically be one of our 3 best), that would be fun and exciting. otherwise, i don't really care what they do. they are well beyond fine how they are.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 31, 2016 11:21 pm

Hot stove cool music is coming up in June so the name is appropriate.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue May 31, 2016 11:39 pm

Tim wrote:Posted an article on the front page.

Weird, right?

Really good, Tim.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:57 am

Is Eovaldi...

clearly better than any of our current starters? No
under team control long term? No

So hard no on using Baez or Soler to acquire him. He's not at all a bad pitcher, but he sits in a weird spot where he doesn't currently displace an existing SP, but he's been good enough that you aren't buying low on potential. And even if you were, you don't get to enjoy that potential for more than a year. If either of the above factors were different I could get on board, but I don't like the fit for Eovaldi.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:01 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Is Eovaldi...

So hard no on using Baez or Soler to acquire him. He's not at all a bad pitcher, but he sits in a weird spot where he doesn't currently displace an existing SP, but he's been good enough that you aren't buying low on potential. And even if you were, you don't get to enjoy that potential for more than a year. If either of the above factors were different I could get on board, but I don't like the fit for Eovaldi.

agreed. the only way I see going after Eovaldi is if Hammel's leg is due to be amputated and they're only giving up someone like Zagunis
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:08 am

well one of these guys is going down at some point this season, you need 5-7 starters and neither Baez or Soler know how to play baseball.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:14 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:

well one of these guys is going down at some point this season, you need 5-7 starters and neither Baez or Soler know how to play baseball.

They will probably need someone, but using your best MLB trade assets for a short term stopgap isn't a great way to do it. So trade Baez/Soler for a SP if you want to(like if you think Bosio can fix Matt Moore, he's under control for 3.5 years), and I'm on board with trading for someone who can be a SP(I floated Drew Hutchison in another thread). Just don't trade Baez or Soler for someone who is not one or both of 1) really really good or 2) under control for a long time.
1 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:21 am

Weird, right?

Wait, the front page is being used for something?
1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:36 am

shnsajax wrote:

Weird, right?

Wait, the front page is being used for something?

For one straight day now!
3 x

Agony and Ivy
All-Star

Postby Agony and Ivy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:41 pm

I guess I don't know how you'd define under team control long term but he's not a free agent until 2018. I love Eovaldi especially now that he's using the splitter more, and he's probably better than Hammel, but he's not a significant upgrade. Also, I feel like I would grow annoyed by a guy who throws 100 and doesn't strikeout a batter an inning.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”