Have new extra inning games been more exciting to watch?

Do new extra inning rules make games more exciting to watch?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 47

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Have new extra inning games been more exciting to watch?

Postby UMFan83 » Sun May 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Carrying on from the game thread discussion. I have honestly not found the games to be more enjoyable or exciting just because someone starts the inning on second base. Most extra innings games end by the 11th or 12th anyways, and the ones that go beyond that can be a slog but give us a lot of 'baseball is strange' moments that are fun and memorable.

Also trying to look at it in a neutral baseball game perspective since Cubs games bring different types of emotions than watching a random Mariners-As game. I don't think I've watched more baseball than normal because of the rule. I don't hurry and flip on a game I notice is in extra innings, though in the past I've definitely thrown on games where I see its in the 15th inning or something.

Just seems like a gimmick that was introduced to fix a problem that didn't exist and it doesn't, at least to me, make the sport anymore exciting to watch.
0 x
Win it for Fred

d_money
All-Star

Re: Have new extra inning games been more exciting to watch?

Postby d_money » Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 pm

The current extra innings format is stupid. If they want increase the pace, get rid of replay.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun May 02, 2021 11:48 pm

It’s dumb
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon May 03, 2021 12:08 am

Not one tiny bit. I can't know for sure, but I honestly think that and the 7 inning doubleheader crap are part of the reason I'm slightly less into baseball. Like if they're not going to take the sport seriously, why should I.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 am

Pointless and dumb.

End shifts, DH in both leagues, robot umps, 120 games per season with designated off days of Mon and Thurs and one series a year vs IL rival and that's it.

Most importantly, understand that until they can market players like other leagues. MLB is wasting its time trying to match other sports on a national level and try and stick to regional marketing 1st until they can market someone like Griffey or a Sosa/McGwire chase.
2 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon May 03, 2021 12:34 am

I'd also institute a salary cap and floor as well as a draft lottery for MLB.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:37 am

UK wrote:Pointless and dumb.

End shifts, DH in both leagues, robot umps, 120 games per season with designated off days of Mon and Thurs and one series a year vs IL rival and that's it.

Most importantly, understand that until they can market players like other leagues. MLB is wasting its time trying to match other sports on a national level and try and stick to regional marketing 1st until they can market someone like Griffey or a Sosa/McGwire chase.

Generally agree with all this. I think 120-145 is the right amount of games, don’t hate the idea of designated off days. Don’t know about twice a week though league wide. I like having some baseball on every day of the year for a few months, maybe do something more like AL is off Monday’s and NL is off Thursday’s or do it by divisions or something if the scheduling could work.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon May 03, 2021 1:17 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

Generally agree with all this. I think 120-145 is the right amount of games, don’t hate the idea of designated off days. Don’t know about twice a week though league wide. I like having some baseball on every day of the year for a few months, maybe do something more like AL is off Monday’s and NL is off Thursday’s or do it by divisions or something if the scheduling could work.

The point of having two off days during the week is you can go to a 4 man rotation which will improve play as well as manage pens better.
0 x

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Mon May 03, 2021 2:22 am

More exciting? No. More like 'oh I forgot they are still doing this dumb horsefeathers this season'.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon May 03, 2021 2:34 am

12 2 game road series and 2 days a week with no baseball is terrible.
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 03, 2021 3:04 am

Fvck no. It’s stupid as hell
1 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm

I hate it
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon May 03, 2021 1:24 pm

I prefer the new rule. I don't like how the 15+ inning marathon game is dead, but I always kind of hated innings 11-14 anyway. In the 10th it was always fun and exciting, but then each inning became more and more of a slog until things started getting weird. And the slog part has only gotten worse as baseball's balance of power has shifted towards relievers and strikeouts.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 pm

When people complain about games being too long, they aren't talking about extra inning games, they're talking about 9-4 games where both starters don't make it out of the fourth inning but we see like 13 different pitchers and 4 different replay reviews for a game that was never really in doubt. Either get rid of it, or just get stupid weird with it (every inning you have to remove one more player from the field, every count starts at 1-1, etc etc etc).

I will say the only real benefit is that it speeds up my Diamond Dynasty Conquest games a lot.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 03, 2021 2:54 pm

Can't vote. I haven't watched a game that used the new rules yet.
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 03, 2021 2:56 pm

squally1313 wrote:Either get rid of it, or just get stupid weird with it

This is where I'm at; I never thought I'd be so burnt out on baseball just a few years of the Cubs winning the WS, but horsefeathers, I'm all for shaking it up. There's no going back with these sorts of changes, so just go all in, you cowards. Make it horsefeathering weird and interesting to offset the owners and front offices that have made it an overly analytical, penny-pinching slog.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon May 03, 2021 3:03 pm

I like how every youth tournament I go to has to enact "CALIFORNIA RULES" when extra innings start. The only problem is, every damn tournament does it differently. All have some variation of a person on 2nd, but some come with an out. Some come with a 1-1 count. Some have bases loaded and 2 outs. I don't mind tournaments handling it differently, but can we stop shouting "CALIFORNIA RULES!!!" then explaining to the coaches what your interpretation is that day?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 03, 2021 3:05 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I like how every youth tournament I go to has to enact "CALIFORNIA RULES" when extra innings start. The only problem is, every damn tournament does it differently. All have some variation of a person on 2nd, but some come with an out. Some come with a 1-1 count. Some have bases loaded and 2 outs. I don't mind tournaments handling it differently, but can we stop shouting "CALIFORNIA RULES!!!" then explaining to the coaches what your interpretation is that day?

I'd like to think this is all the result of some maniac who is just screaming about how big a fan of California he is.
0 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Mon May 03, 2021 3:44 pm

I'll admit to liking the new format (as long as they don't use it in the playoffs and world series). I think it's fun.

9 innings is plenty of time to determine the best team in a regular season game. WRAP IT UP after that please.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon May 03, 2021 5:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I like how every youth tournament I go to has to enact "CALIFORNIA RULES" when extra innings start. The only problem is, every damn tournament does it differently. All have some variation of a person on 2nd, but some come with an out. Some come with a 1-1 count. Some have bases loaded and 2 outs. I don't mind tournaments handling it differently, but can we stop shouting "CALIFORNIA RULES!!!" then explaining to the coaches what your interpretation is that day?

I'd like to think this is all the result of some maniac who is just screaming about how big a fan of California he is.

Cause the rules in California are the greatest rules arooouuuuuuunnnd

3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu May 27, 2021 12:59 pm

I know it's not a popular take, but I'd rather just keep extra innings as they were and have ties after a certain number of innings. 11? 13? You save yourself the marathon, pitcher destroying games without the stupidity of ghost runners.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 27, 2021 1:08 pm

horsefeathers, ghost runners would actually be cool.

"And starting at 2B, on loan from Hell: THE RACIST, STABBY GHOST OF TY COBB."
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 27, 2021 2:14 pm

UK wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

The point of having two off days during the week is you can go to a 4 man rotation which will improve play as well as manage pens better.

There is no way going to 4 man rotations across the board will make play better. It will make pitching better, it will kill offense and may make some games shorter, but it won't make play better.

Also 2 off days for everybody per week is absurd. You can't attempt to better market a sport that plays everyday by just deciding to play a whole hell of a lot fewer games with an open slate on 30% of every week. 120?

145 is the absolute floor on something like that and it's not even realistic. You'd be lucky to get any owner outside maybe the Rays/A's/Pirates to even consider lopping off 5 home dates and 10 total broadcasts.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu May 27, 2021 4:46 pm

Banedon wrote:I know it's not a popular take, but I'd rather just keep extra innings as they were and have ties after a certain number of innings. 11? 13? You save yourself the marathon, pitcher destroying games without the stupidity of ghost runners.

I loathe the idea of ties too, but if you gave me the choice of ties after 12 or this current crap, give me ties all day.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Thu May 27, 2021 4:54 pm

Andy wrote:
Banedon wrote:I know it's not a popular take, but I'd rather just keep extra innings as they were and have ties after a certain number of innings. 11? 13? You save yourself the marathon, pitcher destroying games without the stupidity of ghost runners.

I loathe the idea of ties too, but if you gave me the choice of ties after 12 or this current crap, give me ties all day.

If they agreed to ties, would then MLB go to a standings point based system similar to the NHL?
0 x

Return to “Polls”