College Baseball (Multiple Seasons)

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Re: College Baseball (Multiple Seasons)

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:51 am

The NCAA is starting to really really really reap the benefits of the MLB funneling all this elite talent their way in recent years. I'm not even looking so hard and see that there's a couple top recruits making noise as true freshmen, and you might argue that the college's worlds best prospects are beyond the 2021 class. Enrique Banfield (Vandy) and Caden Grice (Clemson), both very highly regarded and among the very best to reach campus, had 3 hits with Grice hitting his 3rd HR of the season

Also Robert Moore the SS from Arkansas is already my dream pick in 2022, but really I think he's going in the top 10:

Ed Howard called Moore his favorite double play partner during Summer 2019, and I think he would have been Nick Yorke instead of Nick Yorke if he stuck around for the 2020 draft. Instead he enrolled early, hit some SEC pitching at 17 while starting at SS, was one of the better players in the Northwoods League, and now back to tearing up the SEC
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:44 am

Looks like College Baseball talk never really got going here.

Anyhow, onto the Super Regionals. A lot of fun exciting regionals, actually, this year, with Arkansas being pushed hard.

LSU/Virginia/Dallas Baptist all made nice runs, although LSU/Dallas Baptist were arguably bigger surprises than Virginia (I believe d1baseball said the Columbia South Regional was basically a toss-up, with a slight edge to ODU for their lineup).

Virginia finally starting to show why they were a top 10 squad in the pre-season. Rallying from the loser's bracket is difficult, and their pitching depth really showed after they lost Abbott's start, and Vasil didn't do well in the 2nd game, causing Savino to be used. It was arguably UVA's 8-11 arms (if one ranked UVA's arms in some sort of status ranking, it'd be the weekend rotation and closer, plus Whitten/Bales/Messinger) this year that pulled them through. I think the depth of UVA's arms really showed in the 2 meetings with ODU - ODU trotted out their lower significance arms in that 1st game, and their stuff is fairly pedestrian, and in the final game, I'm not so sure the raw stuff of their arms really matched up with UVA's 8-10 arms.

Matt Wyatt is a potential arm for next year's draft, who can get mid-90's velocity with a good breaking ball. I suspect he is in the weekend rotation next year. Griff McGarry was the Friday starter before his command torpedoed his senior season, but if he doesn't get a pro shot, I'll be surprised. It's, as a starter, upper 90's velocity with some movement and a pretty good curveball. I think he could move fast if a team shifted him to the pen, but I also wonder if a team will try to iron out his mechanics (straighten him up a bit, go over the top a bit more) to fix the command). Brandon Neeck was a fairly well thought of recruit 3 years ago but had labrum surgery his freshman year. After being basically a matchup lefty all year, he had 16 K's in 5.2 innings. Fastball really has some cross-action on it and is in the low-mid 90's range, and the slider, while not plus, is at least above average with some movement on it, and he locates both. I assume he comes back, and I don't know if he's rotation next year or maybe closer. It was topped off by Devin Ortiz pitching 4 shutout after only pitching 2 innings all year. If Ortiz has a pro future, I think it's in pitching, because he doesn't have the athleticism to do anything but the corners anymore and I don't think the bat is good enough at the corners. Pitching wise, with little work outside of scrimmages, he showed low-mid 90's with two breaking balls, a sharp curve that I'd be stunned if it didn't get above average to plus grades on it if he had more work, and a decent slider.

I think Supers format sets up well for this UVA team, as they can matchup the pitching a lot more and not worry. Dallas Baptist is a solid squad, but realistically, things broke well for UVA in terms of a matchup.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:26 pm

McGarry is one of those big stuff, ugly numbers college pitchers I think the Cubs should be into with their non-first picks
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:35 pm

I want them to draft Griff McGarry just because of the name.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:44 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:McGarry is one of those big stuff, ugly numbers college pitchers I think the Cubs should be into with their non-first picks

McGarry could very well be a slightly bigger Alessandro Maestri, but it's a worthwhile gamble. Watching him pitch these last few years, I still don't know why UVA didn't try tinkering with his mechanics all that much. I feel like if you straighten him up, some of the command issues will iron out, as it feels like his arm action is causing the inconsistency in command. Even if you lose a tiny bit on the fastball, it could be worth it.

It's been a fun post-season in college, in general. Albeit, it's mostly the top seeds making it through, but the regionals were actually fairly interesting. For a moment, I thought the Jackets were going to knock out Vandy.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:22 pm

toonsterwu wrote:McGarry could very well be a slightly bigger Alessandro Maestri, but it's a worthwhile gamble. Watching him pitch these last few years, I still don't know why UVA didn't try tinkering with his mechanics all that much. I feel like if you straighten him up, some of the command issues will iron out, as it feels like his arm action is causing the inconsistency in command. Even if you lose a tiny bit on the fastball, it could be worth it.

It's been a fun post-season in college, in general. Albeit, it's mostly the top seeds making it through, but the regionals were actually fairly interesting. For a moment, I thought the Jackets were going to knock out Vandy.

I don't get what's up with UVA in general. They've had plenty of talent come through over the years and I can't think of one high impact player outside of Ryan Zimmerman (drafted and debuted at 20, pretty cool) who lived up to the hype. They're not the worst at bats, I think Gelof would be interesting for the Cubs outside the first, but there hasn't been a ML starter in a while off the top of my head. The pitching feels like something else, all injuries and lost velocity. Lynch and soon Abbott are hopefully the program maybe turning the corner a little bit. Lynch isn't a worldbeater but the arm strength from a lefty is very impressive and obviously I'm all aboard the Abbott wagon especially if he's drafted by a team into winning. McGarry strikes me as a guy who can easily be a better pro than college player, plenty of tools and his health

The field seems loaded this year, but yeah the big names almost always end up getting the furtherst. I'm basic and rooting for Arkansas after deciding Moore is my favorite player (and prospect) currently in college. I was rooting for GT when I heard about the Grissom Jr/Leiter matchup, they have a good team (Waddell is another player I wouldn't mind seeing join the Cubs org), but yeah notsodeepdown...The good thing is that more Vanderbilt means more XP for Enrique Bradfield Jr., seems like an exciting player

ALL that said...burn the NCAA to the ground lol
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:24 pm

Went to Game 2 off Ole Miss / Arizona in the Tucson Super Sectional last night. Thought I’d cheer on the local team. Admittedly, don’t know much about college baseball, don’t really follow it. But a few observations:

-watched the Rebels pitcher warm up. He looked scared/uneasy. Thought he would get rocked. Couldn’t be farther from what actually happened. Doug Nikhazy is an All American junior and looks to be a second round prospect. He dominated but threw a lot of pitches. AZ fouled off a lot of pitches, but struggled to put the ball in play. Nikhazy had about 10-12 Ks in 4 2/3 innings. Really stymied the ‘cats. Guess he outmatched Kumar Rocker earlier in the year.

-Arizona pitcher got blasted. Seemed like everything hit by Ole Miss was a rocket, even the outs. And this guy (Garrett Irvin) is their top pitcher apparently.

-Freshman lead off hitter for the Rebs has some really nice ABs including a rocket line drive HR to lead off the game. He also took a full count outside pitch and punched it out into left center for a couple of RBI. Kid might be a player.

-Nothing else off real note other than Ole Miss has a 10 run lead in the 8th and has a pinch runner straight steal. Thought that was odd.

Hope Arizona wins tonight….Go ‘cats!! Bear down!!
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:05 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:McGarry could very well be a slightly bigger Alessandro Maestri, but it's a worthwhile gamble. Watching him pitch these last few years, I still don't know why UVA didn't try tinkering with his mechanics all that much. I feel like if you straighten him up, some of the command issues will iron out, as it feels like his arm action is causing the inconsistency in command. Even if you lose a tiny bit on the fastball, it could be worth it.

I don't get what's up with UVA in general. They've had plenty of talent come through over the years and I can't think of one high impact player outside of Ryan Zimmerman (drafted and debuted at 20, pretty cool) who lived up to the hype. They're not the worst at bats, I think Gelof would be interesting for the Cubs outside the first, but there hasn't been a ML starter in a while off the top of my head. The pitching feels like something else, all injuries and lost velocity. Lynch and soon Abbott are hopefully the program maybe turning the corner a little bit. Lynch isn't a worldbeater but the arm strength from a lefty is very impressive and obviously I'm all aboard the Abbott wagon especially if he's drafted by a team into winning. McGarry strikes me as a guy who can easily be a better pro than college player, plenty of tools and his health

The field seems loaded this year, but yeah the big names almost always end up getting the furtherst. I'm basic and rooting for Arkansas after deciding Moore is my favorite player (and prospect) currently in college. I was rooting for GT when I heard about the Grissom Jr/Leiter matchup, they have a good team (Waddell is another player I wouldn't mind seeing join the Cubs org), but yeah notsodeepdown...The good thing is that more Vanderbilt means more XP for Enrique Bradfield Jr., seems like an exciting player

ALL that said...burn the NCAA to the ground lol

You could run through the names and the thing about UVA is a lot of them have struggled for a variety of reasons. I think there was an easy label to slap on O'Connor's guys during his tenure - for pitchers, it was the whole "crouch" issue, which has largely gone away after the pitching coach change, and for hitters, it was the whole "approach" issue, which really was as much about playing to the home park (To fault O'Connor and Co. for playing to the park was something I never understood - I would hope I have a manager that does that, while developing his guys all around games).

That said, there really have been a variety of reasons why guys haven't panned out, which really suggests that it's less about O'Connor and his staff, and more about individual circumstances. In recent years, the talent hasn't been there as much, but a lot of guys also didn't pan out, particularly on the arm side (Offensively, this was the best squad UVA's had since the Pavin Smith/Adam Haseley run, and this offense was an utter mess at times). Mike Vasil's stuff backed up from this prep days - I can think of guys like Connor Jones, whose stuff backed up from his sophomore to junior years, and Jake Thompson. I'm not putting Savino in that group yet - his first year was lost to COVID, so I'm more wait and see there. Nate Kirby was injured, as was Danny Hultzen. After reading about what happened with Hultzen, that's really on the player, which he has sort of acknowledged. Branden Kline always was more of a pen arm and then got hurt. As of right now, I don't recall what the issue with Nick Howard on the Reds was (statistically, it was command, looks like he's still pitching at 28 in AA). On the bat side, there have been guys that are too free swinging (Parker, Fisher, Downes), guys whose hit tools weren't that good (Mike Papi comes to mind).

I was still high on Pavin Smith last year, and he's showing sparks (the fact that he's playing CF at times also stuns me), and there may be an argument that at the pro level, some of the non-power UVA bats needs to change their launch angles to succeed. Chris Taylor did as well, and he's arguably been the most successful bat in recent years. Again, hard to fault O'Connor for playing to his home park.

As for this year's squad, Kyle Teel will be fascinating. I think he has better tools than Matt Thaiss defensively (and Thaiss didn't have a defensive home and didn't have ideal corner power), so he could be interesting as a C prospect, but the bat and athleticism are good and I'll be interested what happens in 3 years. In terms of prosects this year, Zack Gelof has so much raw power but he's very swing or miss. I have no idea if Nic Kent gets drafted high enough that he goes pro this year - his early slump would suggest no, but he had a decent 2nd half. More of a utility guy, IMO, but then again, Andy Weber's gotten to the upper levels (Kent's better defensively). No other bat is really all that interesting - Devin Ortiz can't play MI anymore, and I don't think he has the power to stick at a corner, so if I'm him, I try to be a P. Even if you include underclassmen, Chris Newell is Jarrett Parker in some respects, the other OF bats aren't all that great (Alex Tappen has had a solid 2nd half, and I could see a team give him a look, but hard to think he gets drafted unless it's for cost savings). Jake Gelof is arguably the 4th or 5th best bat. Arm side, there's Abbott/McGarry. I don't know what Vasil does - tailed off so much, stuff is so average. Honestly, he should go to the pen and cut a breaking ball out and go max effort and toss upper 90's in short spurts. I suspect a lot of the upperclassmen pen arms will get pro looks - Blakes Bales, Stephen Schoch, Kyle Whitten, but none are really high level guys. The interesting decision will be some of the junior arms that are currently in the pen - Zach Messinger and Brandon Neeck. Can Neeck ride 1 postseason outing to a surprising draft pick? Probably not, and another year back, perhaps in the rotation, could push him much higher. Messinger could come back to a bigger role as well.

If I'm the Cubs, I pass on Gelof until say, the 3rd round give or take. Good raw power, suspect approach, might not stick at 3rd. If Abbott makes it to the 2nd, I could see it. If they think they can work with McGarry, taking him anywhere is a thought, although I have no idea where McGarry's value would be right now. I could see some teams seeing the late inning tinkering and success and surprising with a higher than expected pick, but he had such a poor season, it's hard to figure.
Last edited by toonsterwu on Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Heck of an afternoon game for UVA yesterday. I hated the fact that they couldn't string together hits early enough against the DBU arm (live fastball, but a bit straight and slider looks good but not great, but he located well). They eventually tagged him when DBU stunningly, IMO, left Kouba, the starter, into the 8th while past 100 pitches and the score being 0-0. Z. Gelof tagged him for a home run (as they started jumping on him earlier, since he was just trying to throw strike one down the pike), while Alex Tappen hit a 3-run shot after UVA got an obstruction call to keep the inning going (clear obstruction on the pickoff move ... ESPN commentators were poor there ... pickoff throw was off, but the first baseman (who was supposedly doing it all game based on reports there), had his foot blocking the base path before the throw and didn't move it and stepped on the pinch runner's hand).

The Griff McGarry that pitched yesterday would be a borderline 1st run pick, probably at least a 2nd rounder. He was the Griff of old - electric stuff, and able to get out of jams. His fastball command came and went, but he had a nasty curveball. If that curve yesterday didn't grade a 70 for scouts there, I'd be stunned. It was filthy and he was locating it, and DBU is an excellent lineup.

McGarry throwing 7 shutout (they trotted him out for the 8th, which was stupid IMO, before the umps forced him out because of bleeding) really gives UVA their best possible chance today, as everyone besides McGarry (and Abbott - I don't see them rushing him back for a bat or two) will be available. Going to be interesting - going up against Luke Eldred (Cal Eldred's kid).
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:55 pm

Ole Miss under Mike Bianco is 1-8 in games that wound have sent them to the CWS

Good times
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:03 pm

PackLandVA wrote:-Freshman lead off hitter for the Rebs has some really nice ABs including a rocket line drive HR to lead off the game. He also took a full count outside pitch and punched it out into left center for a couple of RBI. Kid might be a player.

Yes, he’s outstanding. Freshman All-American SS. Jacob Gonzalez.

.355/.443/.561, 12 HR, 16 2B and 55 RBI coming out of the SEC at SS as a true freshman is quite the line.

Though they were stymied by “Big Dick Doug” Nikhazy, Arizona’s offense is out of control. I’ve watched almost every Ole Miss game this year and I’ve not seen another team with bats like that. They’ve got a tough task having to face Rocker in Game 1 at Omaha, but I’ll be pulling for them.
1 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:48 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Ole Miss under Mike Bianco is 1-8 in games that wound have sent them to the CWS

Good times

Look at it this way. He's the leading candidate to become LSU's next coach.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:06 pm

UVA opted for Savino to get this critical start. He was arguably the top prep pitcher in the 2020 class, probably even more highly touted than Vasil the year before. Stuff is still power lefty stuff, able to hit mid-90's (although i've seen games where he was more 92/93) with some late action on the fb, decent-solid slider, and changeup. UVA coaches have been careful with him, since COVID impacted his first year, and he went to UVA the spring of his senior season (graduated early). Wasn't in the weekend rotation until midseason. Pitches a lot more to contact now.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:18 pm

Savino only 89-91 on the ESPN gun (which admittedly is fairly erratic, but it shouldn't be off by that much). Slider looks decent, not plus, but he located it against Benefield. Had two ground balls to start that found holes.

Savino should be back for another year as a weekend starter and working on getting stronger, a bit more velocity, and sharpening up the slider. He's an intriguing raw talent right now. I don't love the 3/4 arm slot, almost side-arm slinging it, and I wonder if a pro team will ask him to make the transition Daniel Lynch made and go more over the top.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Fantastic win for UVA. I would not have expected this mid-season. 5-2 over DBU. DBU went to their closer early, after Eldred was pulled. Gaither has good stuff.

UVA got a long ball from Nic Kent, and then loaded it up for Kyle Teel's grand slam. I cannot fathom what they were thinking in that pitch sequence. Three breaking balls that Teel was seeing well (he crouched down to watch one in). An average fastball chest high, and then they tried another breaking ball that Teel hammered.

Savino got pulled early after giving up a 2 run shot to Jackson Glenn. I have Lynch vibes there - a guy who is good, but never unlocks his full potential until the pros. Wyatt was dominant. If that Wyatt shows up next year, that might be a first round pick. 93-96 fastball with a good silder. Of course, this Wyatt also failed to get out of the first against Liberty in a weekday start this year.

Pitching can surprise in the CWS and UVA has the pitching. It'll be a tough road - I feel like the bottom bracket has more offense, but they just beat two big time offenses in ODU and DBU.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:52 am

Tough way for Arizona to finish the year - getting to Rocker, but losing in extras and then just not executing enough against Stanford. That was a damn good lineup, and I thought they would have enough to make a run.

NC State's lack of pitching depth is protected in the CWS now that they have won the first two. They'll be able to rest up, and if they are pushed to a 4th game, Highfill can come back.

Going to be some interesting matchups today. Tennessee vs. Texas to stay alive, and then Griff McGarry and UVA versus a tremendous top of the order for Mississippi State and a good lefty in MacLeod (who has admittedly stumbled the last three outings against good offenses ... he was fairly consistent all year, with hiccups against Arkansas and Vanderbilt, and then he struggled the last three times out against VCU, Notre Dame, and Tennessee).

If UVA ends up facing NC State, it'll be a funny little rejoinder on all the ACC sucks so Notre Dame is overrated comments during the season. I'm not willing to go that far yet on picking UVA (NC State is obviously in the driver's seat in their side). Have to see which McGarry we get tonight.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:16 am

0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 am

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:11 pm

Oooooof

0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:08 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:-Freshman lead off hitter for the Rebs has some really nice ABs including a rocket line drive HR to lead off the game. He also took a full count outside pitch and punched it out into left center for a couple of RBI. Kid might be a player.

.355/.443/.561, 12 HR, 16 2B and 55 RBI coming out of the SEC at SS as a true freshman is quite the line.

Looks ready for AAA
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:05 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

Looks ready for AAA

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:34 pm

:roll:

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:10 am