2022 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
TomtheBombadil
Superstar

2022 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:29 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/2022-mock-draf ... -prospects

First mock I see has the Cubs taking a giant, switch hitting college catcher. Susac was a really good prospect coming out of HS, unsignable out side of the first, and yeah duh the Cubs should have more giant switch hitters who can hit HRs and possibly play up the middle:

11. Cubs: Daniel Susac, C, Arizona

Susac hit .335/.392/.591 with 12 homers and 24 doubles as a true freshman, earning several national accolades in the process. The younger brother of Andrew Susac, Daniel is a former high school quarterback with tremendous raw pop, some feel for hitting and a very strong arm behind the plate.

Big early addition, I'd say he compares very well to Brett Bray from the 2020 draft as a LHH 3B prospect:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... mlb-draft/

Cam Collier, the No. 3 prospect on Baseball America's rankings of the top 2023 players, is reclassifying to be eligible for the 2022 draft. Collier announced the news Aug. 2 on his Instagram account.

Collier, a 16-year-old infielder who has also spent time on the mound, was the premier offensive threat in the 2023 class. He's 6-foot-2, 210 pounds with a smooth, compact swing from the left side, good bat speed and easy power. He has consistently performed at a high level in games, both in terms of getting on base and hitting for power, often while playing against older competition. He has hit well against both lefties and righties, showing a mature approach at the plate for his age, with the pitch recognition and contact skills to regularly square up both fastballs and offspeed pitches.

A Louisville commit at Mount Paran Christian High in Kennesaw, Ga., Collier is a below-average runner with good instincts at third base and a strong arm. He's the son of former big leaguer Lou Collier, who played in the majors from 1997-2004 with the Pirates, Brewers, Expos, Red Sox and Phillies.

Some prospects I like early:

Rob Moore 2B - He's not in that MLB.com mock, rude, but yeah I think he's one of the handful best players in this draft: a potential half decade+ starter, gold glover, and leadoff hitter at 2B. Not a big player at say 5'9" sub-200, .294/.396/.506 in 500 between the SEC (NCAA) and summer league PAs at 18 and 19 (19 being about the average age of a freshman). FTR FGs has him at 7 on The Board

Hunter Barco LHSP - Had first round potential out of HS, ee's been solid at Florida showing SP potential with a 4 pitch mix and some solid pitchability

Nate Savino LHP - Like more, he reclassified in 2019 despite being a potential first rounder. Unlike Moore, it hasn't gone as well. As a healthy LHP who hasn't exactly tanked so far a big season can get him into the first round

Brandon Barriera LHSP - The top HS LHP, that mock has Jackson Ferris going first there but whatever, with a 3 pitch mix. Reminds me a little of Jose Berrios what with the wind up and the curveball

Reggie Crawford 1B/LHP - Has done some two way work at Penn St and in the CCBL this summer, I liked him as a pitcher coming out of HS. Big and physical at 6'4" 200+ easy, legit LHH potential with power and can play 1B. Quick seach and...yep, he's hit 101 on the mound this summer. Big want outside the first

Kumar Rocker RHSP - It would please me if the Mets passed on Rocker and then the Cubs got Rocker (granted this is all slimy af towards Rocker)

Xavier Isaac 1B - Possibly the top giant HS 1B prospect jic they're looking

Random:

- Green belies a relatively weak HS class compared to 2020 and even 2021. Collier maybe instantly became the #2 HS prospect, maybe 3 behind Lesko in early rankings. For instance, I see Druw Jones as more Manuel Margot than his dad

- Top HSRP should be an interesting competition. Dylan Lesko's the incumbent, Brock Porter's pretty tooled up with some aptitude, there's probably others to come.

- Carl Crawford's son is in this draft, 6'3" LHH recruit for LSU and not a particularly strong HS prospect

Prospect Live's got an early top 100 for free:

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects ... -prospects
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Re: 2022 Draft

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:11 pm

Hopefully be picking in the 7 to 8 range if they continue to be as awful as we know they are. Best case scenario is probably 5th which they are 5 games out of. Barring a historically awful performance, I can't imagine them catching up to Arizona, Baltimore, Texas or Pittsburgh.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:08 pm

BA ranked their top 10 prospects and turned it into a mock draft (draft order was based on standings on 7/14, before Cam Collier re-classified): https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -10-picks/

1. D-Backs — Elijah Green, OF, IMG Academy, Bradenton, Fla.
2. Orioles — Jace Jung, 2B/3B, Texas Tech
3. Pirates — Brooks Lee, SS, Cal Poly
4. Rangers — Kevin Parada, C, Georgia Tech
5. Royals — Termarr Johnson, SS, Mays HS, Atlanta
6. Twins — Dylan Lesko, RHP, Buford (Ga.) HS
7. Marlins — Daniel Susac, C, Arizona
8. Tigers — Peyton Pallette, RHP, Arkansas
9. Rockies — Jacob Berry, 3B/1B, Louisiana State
10. Nationals — Hunter Barco, LHP, Florida
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:21 am

Looks like the CCBL wrapped up and the star would have to be this guy, 1B Chase DeLauter:

He hit .298/.397/.589, tied for the lead league in HRs, and had an extremely impressive 21:18 BB/K ni 146 PAs. He's listed as a 6'4" 250 OF on BbRef, has made most of his starts in CF, is a career .348/.450/.628 (55/42 BB:K in 351 PAs) between the various NCAA and college leagues, pitches, and will be one of the younger NCAA players and 3 year starters with CCBL experience available at 20 on draft day

OF Tres Gonzales hasn't and didn't hit with power but had a 17:15 BB/K and a 63:62 one in 423 NCAA/college PAs. He's probably most similar to Darius Hill in the org, has played CF/LF while starting at Georgia Tech

If the Cubs are looking to corner the market on 20 YO LHH Canadian OF/1B named Owen in 2022, Owen Diodati is draft eligible out of Alabama. He came out hot during 2020 as an 18 YO freshman, dropped off but hit 11 HRs this year, and then 7 more with a .189 IsoSLG this summer

Spencer Jones, a 6'7" 1B at Vanderbilt, hit some (.312/421/.481 in 92 PAs). Maybe more notable is he'll have some two way potential, was a decent enough HS pitching prospect and had TJ surgery June 2020

Trey Dombrowski, a LHP playing NCAA ball at Monmouth U in NJ, had a 45/2 K:BB after posting a 64:8 ratio during the spring. Not a stuff guy, 87-92

——

0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:59 pm

1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:19 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/benbadler/status/1429832411257376768?s=21

I know nothing about this class yet but I can't imagine a scenario where Andruw Jones' kid isn't going to be #1 on my board
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:08 am

Tryptamine wrote:Hopefully be picking in the 7 to 8 range if they continue to be as awful as we know they are. Best case scenario is probably 5th which they are 5 games out of. Barring a historically awful performance, I can't imagine them catching up to Arizona, Baltimore, Texas or Pittsburgh.

even with an historically awful performance. 5th still in reach though.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:03 pm

I know there's a lot to like about Carter Young, but something just doesn't mesh for me on him. I guess I'm sort of lukewarm on Vandy over-hype in some respects. I keep thinking Jeren Kendell, albeit, at shortstop, it could work.

I'd be fine with Daniel Susac. I think he had a nice run with the CNT.

I'm just not that into Savino. There's still a lot of raw tools there (fastball velocity was fine this year, a spot or two where it seemed slower (I recall seeing some 89's), but I don't know - with some UVA pitchers, I feel like getting to the pro ranks and pro coaching will help them kick it up a notch. I think that's the case for a guy like Savino, who needs a better, more consistent breaking ball. It may be a case for McGarry (although that's a bit more debatable). A guy like Andrew Abbott is pretty much what he is - a good lefty with an outpitch. Actually, if there's a UVA pitcher I'm sort of intrigued with, it's Matt Wyatt, but he also reminds me a bit of Mike Vasil, particularly with his arm action, and I also wonder if he's better off as a Jon Papelbon type - limited innings would allow him to go full bore.

I forgot Berry was eligible for the draft. I like him at 1-1 if he continues with his hot bat at LSU. A collegiate 3rd baseman with two strong years of elite hitting is tough to pass on. Maybe that's some small bias towards collegians.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:47 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-high-schoo ... pects-2022

Tamarr Johnson over Elijah Green here. Johnson's a very en vogue kind of position player prospect, the bat first 2B maybe LF kind of defender who may move fast and produce early (mostly the college ranks like Foscue, India, McDonald, etc but we just saw the Cubs give a higher bonus to HS 2nd rounder Triantos - $2.1 million - than any a pitcher they've signed or drafted besides Wicks), and I imagine that maybe explains some of why he definitely has overtaken Green to go with being a LHH with a shot at one of the MIF spots:

1. Termarr Johnson, SS, Mays HS (Ga.)
College commitment: Undecided

All summer, Johnson has cemented himself as the best pure high school bat in the class. There’s plenty of raw power in his left-handed swing, too -- he won the Perfect Game All-American Classic home run derby -- with the only questions coming about his defensive home. He’s not a runner and most see a move to second base, where he should be a solid defender.

2. Elijah Green, OF, IMG Academy (Fla.)
College commitment: Miami

His tools are off the charts, with elite-level speed that will allow him to steal bases and play center field for a long time, to go along with impressive raw power. There have been some concerns about the swing-and-miss to his game, but he’ll have plenty of time to show it all works against good competition during IMG’s spring season.

TBF the bold is pretty important for Green, the difference between a very good and great HS prospect maybe since obvious guys like Harper (won the horsefeathers Golden Spike Award as a JC player!!), Rodriguez, Machado, etc all dominated during their draft spring

There's maybe a case that Green vs. Druw Jones is closer than the ranking too that next spring will have to answer. Green's raw power gives him an obvious edge early, but Jones showed some freak potential this summer too with a more well rounded game. OTOH, this may just be something Green just has to get used to happening every 15 minutes or so

Dylan Lesko seems like a great HS pitching prospect, easily the best in this draft and probably even the last 3 drafts (and I still really like Jared Kelley moving forward). Similar to Howard, he's as decorated a HS amateur as you'll find. There's no serious competition for top HS pitcher in this class, it's more about being the top overall pitcher. I've read at least once from whoknowswhere (BA?) that he's considered by some to be the best prospect in the class, period, and it actually doesn't feel so smokish. Otherwise I'm not really liking the HS pitching mentioned on free lists so much. LHP Robby Snelling (topped out at 97) didn't make this list for reasons (LSU commit) and Nazir Mule out of Paterson, NJ hit 100 according to PG...

3. Dylan Lesko, RHP, Buford HS (Ga.)
College commitment: Vanderbilt

Lesko entered the summer as the perceived top prep arm in this class and he confirmed it at various stops. He’s 6-foot-3, athletic and has a very good feel for three pitches, with his mid-90s fastball and his plus changeup the standouts, though he definitely knows how to spin a breaking ball, too

Cam Collier's all the way down at 13, seems way too low but I say things, and is going to play JC ball at a top program in Chipola

Still seems like this HS class, overall, is outclassed by the past two but the top one or two guys are #1 overall kind of talents
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Re: 2022 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 pm

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects ... efficiency

AVG indicates the player has a low BB/K, and low amount of TB/AB.

AVG indicates the player doesn’t have a clear offensive profile.

ELITE indicates the player has a high BB/K and high amount of TB/AB.

EYE indicates the player has a high BB/K and low amount of TB/AB.

HIT indicates the player has a low BB/K and a high amount of TB/AB

Within the ELITE classification Rhylan Thomas (Southern California), Christian Knapczyk (Louisville), Tatem Levins (Pittsburgh), and Tres Gonzales (Georgia Tech) fall into the ELITE section of guys who have plus bat to ball skills, below average juice, and an above average feel for the strike zone. While Anthony Hall (Oregon), Dalton Rushing (Louisville), Eric Brown (Coastal Carolina), Brock Wilken (Wake Forest), Jace Grady (Dallas Baptist), and Jim Jarvis (Alabama) showed ELITE overall profiles that are carried by the juice in their bat.

Within the ELITE profile, Chad Castillo (Cal Baptist), Clark Elliott (Michigan), Jake Thompson (Oklahoma State), Colin Davis (Wofford), and Dylan Phillips (Kansas State) showed more balanced ELITE profiles while being within the 36% percent of both TB/AB and BB/K.

Nathan Matorella (University of California) was an outlier with his profile while demonstrating an ability to have a plus-plus feel for the strike zone and juice in his bat.

Lastly the two players with the top overall profile balance were Zachary Neto (Campbell) and Chase DeLauter (James Madison). Both players came into the CCBL with small-school performance doubters but both players were arguably the two best overall offensive performers with their consistency to make an impact with their bat while being selective in the strike zone.

Brooks Lee (Cal Poly) is one of the most lethal bats in the 2022 MLB Draft as shown by his TB/AB ranking in the 99th percentile in the CCBL. Dominic Keegan (Vanderbilt) also raked his way into the 99th percentile of TB/AB while demonstrating an average feel for the strike zone. Finally, Kris Armstrong (Florida) raked all summer but showed too much swing and miss in his game to get him into the ELITE classification.

Mentioned DeLauter already: 6'4" 240 CFer who hit .298/.397/.589 with more BBs than Ks and the most HRs in the CCBL, has dominated in college including a 55/42 BB/K in 351 PAs between the NCAA and CCBL...I see BA and D1Baseball had him as their #3 prospect in the CCBL this year, but don't subscribe to either. Seems like his defense and athleticism is well regarded, but he'll have to move to the COF. All I'd ask the universe for is basically a better Brian Giles
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:07 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-2022-coll ... e-coverage

Brooks Lee SS/2B, Jace Jung 2B, Jacob Berry 1B/DH, Brock Jones CF, Crawford LHP, DeLauter OF, Daniel Susac C, Moore 2B, Kevin Parada C, Gavin Cross OF

5. Reggie Crawford, LHP, Connecticut

Crawford slugged 13 homers this spring but excites scouts much more on the mound, where he has shown huge upside in glimpses at Connecticut as well as with Team USA and in the Cape League this summer. A physical 6-foot-4 left-hander, he struck out 30 of the 56 batters he faced at those three stops in 2021, averaging 96 mph and touching 100 with his fastball while also mixing in a power slider that hit 88 mph. If he can hold up as a starter, continue to throw strikes and develop an offspeed pitch, he could vault to the top of this list.

6. Chase DeLauter, OF, James Madison

James Madison played an abbreviated 28-game schedule, so DeLauter flew under the radar despite hitting .386/.508/.723, but he broke out by pacing the Cape Cod League in slugging (.589) and tying for the home run lead (nine) this summer. He has huge left-handed power thanks to his 6-foot-4, 235-pound frame, bat speed and strength, and he also sports one of the more disciplined approaches among the players on this list. He runs very well for his size, with his solid speed giving him a shot to stay in center field and his strong arm fitting well in right if needed.

8. Robert Moore, 2B, Arkansas

The son of Royals GM Dayton Moore, Robert enrolled early at Arkansas and has been a two-year starter for the Razorbacks, batting .283/.384/.558 with 16 homers this spring. He honed outstanding instincts while growing up around the game and they help him play above his tools, though he doesn't always get as much credit for his physical ability as he deserves. He generates surprising pop for a 5-foot-9, 170-pounder because he repeatedly barrels balls from both sides of the plate. He also has solid speed and savvy on the bases, as well as quick feet and hands in the infield, albeit with a fringy arm that limits him to second base.

-----

Already know who my favorite player in the 2023 draft is: LSU 1B Tre Morgan
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Prospects Live updated their top 100 into a top 150:

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects ... -prospects

- One good thing about the Cubs picking higher is that the pool of players shrinks way, way down in the first round. This draft is very noisy, and that's only getting started. My wild guess is that this will be one of the cheaper first rounds in some time for the league, whoever goes 1 may not get slot depending on what the rules are

- Elijah Greene is at 3. Maybe a little bit hypocritical, alot of bit, but machinate away prospect media and MLB to get him to the Cubs please

- Brooks Lee is their #1 player. He's a good prospect going back to HS but would be the weakest #1 overall in at least a few years.

- Rob Moore is at 24, seems low

- Kumar Rocker is 30th and the 6th ranked RHP, which may be a joke but I think they're serious. The Future of the draft

- Carson Whisenhunt, LHP coming out of ECU, has talent, I'm on board for a non-first. LHP Hayden Mullins out of Auburn too, maybe moreso

- Cam Collier at 40 and Hunter Barco at 45 seem low too

- Victor Mederos left Miami U for Oklahoma, is ranked outside the first and would be up there among non-first guys if healthy

- Drew Compton, a switch hitting IF in the middle of GT's high OBP lineup, is all the way down at 104. He's got some swing and miss and it's not like these GT guys have been lighting up the league, but yeah seems like one non-first college bat that fits the org somewhat

- Ike Irish, cool name and also a big LHH catcher with big EVs and bat speed...Auburn commit may be a tough sign hence the bank of the 150 ranking

- Eli Serrano, a HS L/L 1B/OF prospect out of NC, seems interesting at 6'5" but would be behind Xavier Isaac among HS 1B prospects for me. He seems like he may be more hit over power but I just say things too

- Definitely would not mind the Cubs dipping into the Old Dominon well again for LHP Noah Dean. He's hit 100, interestingly not even the most talented college LHP to do that (Reggie Crawford!)

- Eric Brown, SS at Coastal Carolina, seems like a good org fit. Plays SS in college, takes walks, lots of contact, surprising power, and just put up .282/.375/.436 and just 20 Ks in 138 PAs in the CCBL

- Nolan McLean, with OKSt, is one of the more interesting two way talents in the draft especially among college players. He hit and hit in the CCBL, throws gas with a couple secondaries, and has good size at 6'3" 205

- TJ McCants at Ole Miss is a LHH CF/2B who has hit, I thought he was draftable out of HS

- Eric Adler's a power arm at Wake Forest, a school that's been developing a reputation for quality pitching prospects using technology, who has done some good stuff including a breakout in the CCBL this summer. Brandon Sproat at U of Florida has a good arm too
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:06 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/jim-callis-jon ... t-coverage

Mayo took Reggie Crawford 8th overall, I'd say it would take a big season to have a serious shot at the top 10. Here I was thinking he'd be a fun non-first pick heading in. Robert Moore's at 14
----

6'5" HS OF/1B prospect Nolan Schubart is getting first round hype after a strong 2021 and some big numbers:

99th% in EV, between 98-99% in PG's 3 bat speed metrics, he's fast too (not as fast as Harry Ford last year but a standout)...6'5" 200+ OF/1B prospect who I'm going to give a shot to be as good an offensive LHH HS prospect coming out as Tristan Casas was in 2018. Michigan commit

-----

At least 3 first rounders, possibly even 3 top 10 picks, here between DeLauter, Wilken, and Lee so probably not the worst place to find another prospect or two

——

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Walter Ford makes for the second top-10 rated 2023 prospect to re-classify for the 2022 draft (the first being Cam Collier).

0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:37 pm

I'd be thrilled if Dylan Lesko or Jace Jung ended up available at #7
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:02 pm

7. Chicago Cubs
Chase DeLauter, OF, James Madison

The Cubs may be on the precipice of a lengthy rebuild having shipped off all of their pillars this summer. That said, the cupboard isn’t bare. DeLauter has some of the best star potential in this class and could move quickly through a Cubs system lacking high-minors prospects.

DeLauter has a physically imposing body with the accompanying raw power and long, athletic strides in the field. He’s a centerfielder now, though some believe he’ll end up in a corner. It shouldn’t matter however, as the tools play anywhere on the diamond. A lefty stick, DeLauter has a chance to be a 35+ homer guy at the next level.

DeLauter will be a popular pick among data analysts in the 2022 draft. His batted-ball data is massive, his swing and chase rates are sublime and he only projects to get better as he matures. The only notion he’ll have to dispel this season are the small conference concerns. His utter dominance on the Cape should help in that regard.
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”